ADVERTISEMENT

Miners vs. ttu

I'm not going to dispute this, in fact, I agree with it. But these are not the only reasons for last night's attendance. We on this board are so caught up on all of the comings, goings, and rumors surrounding UTEP Athletics, that we sometimes fail to realize how pathetic the athletic department is at promoting itself. I guarantee that most El Pasoans had no idea that the Miners were scrimmaging the NCAA Tournament runners up, and have no idea about the fact that the basketball roster is completely retooled. I say this without having been to El Paso since early June of last year. How, then, do I know that UTEP did a poor job of promoting this game? The athletic department has always sucked at self promotion. I'm sure that nothing has changed.

https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/i-had...ans-say-about-utep-basketball-exhibition-game

Monday is sober over day. TT lost critical players that made last year great. UTEP was literally playing with seven players last year. They were warriors but by the second half they were tuckered out. The prize transfers were licking their chops on the sidelines.

A few months and now it's almost flip flop. Tech prize transfers are gone and new faces need to gel. Their coach was spot on:

"...A lot of things were just not our kind of discipline tonight. We had a lot of young players, a lot of new players, that's not an excuse, just the reality of a team trying to play a game after nine practices..."

He said the tougher team won. UTEP was the tougher team because UTEP brought in tough transfers who have more experience and are very athletic.

For those of you complaining about the athletic department and the lack of reports or stats, the NCAA does not allow these for exhibitions. If it weren't for charity, the game would have also been held in a closed gym.

The Grand Canyon game will be in a closed gym and there also will be no reports coming from this.

An interesting/scary stat: Williams, Edwards, and Lathon were a combined 20/29 from the field, the rest of the team was 2/18. Obviously there are a lot of players who need to step up. The good thing is that there they'll have plenty of chances to do so. Like I said in a previous post, most of the team was pressing on offense. I know that they are better than that.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Verhoeven and Odigie were practically invisible. Vila didn't have the best shooting night. Neither did Hawkins. Hey, I guess this game that doesn't count is the best time to be off. Maybe they just came out rusty.

24 hours later I still feel confident about this team, but my attention is now on that NMSU game because I really want to see them do that to The Aggies.

An exhibition against Tech to raise funds for the shooting victims is pretty damn good marketing.

That's the point. Should have been easy to get the word out, arrange some kind of tribute/performance to the victims (like the first football game), offer discounts on concessions, give out some Miner swag. But all they did was hit up the local TV stations and post on social media pages... failing once again to reach an audience outside of those who already follow the team.

With any effort, there could have been twice the amount of people and much more money raised. Senter is not much different from Stull so far. Just fakes it better.

I’m really curious how the official attendance was only 4600. Sure, the baseline sections were more or less empty but the East and West sections looked well over half full. 4600 means only 2K on each side. It didn’t look that way at all.

That's the point. Should have been easy to get the word out, arrange some kind of tribute/performance to the victims (like the first football game), offer discounts on concessions, give out some Miner swag. But all they did was hit up the local TV stations and post on social media pages... failing once again to reach an audience outside of those who already follow the team.

With any effort, there could have been twice the amount of people and much more money raised. Senter is not much different from Stull so far. Just fakes it better.

"Swag" would require sponsors, of which there were none aside from GECU who made the shirts. Notice the timeouts were mostly promos for upcoming events or player features.

"Swag" would require sponsors, of which there were none aside from GECU who made the shirts. Notice the timeouts were mostly promos for upcoming events or player features.

Senter was only able to land 1 sponsor for this game? I guess he’s more inept than we originally thought. If the AD can only land 1 sponsor for this game, he isn’t doing his job properly.

Reactions: Hot For Keitha
Last edited:
i forwarded this article to Senter for his edification. Assume he read it, but haven't heard back from him. I also asked why there was no coverage on their website. No answer.
It was advertised. It was all over social media it was on local news but It was not on billboards. Billboards are expensive and this is for charity which kind of defeats the purpose.

However, the word is out and tickets sales will increase.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Honestly, I doubt senter has a ton of money to run a high level advertising campaign with. It's not like football is generating extra revenue for us.

His focus will be on selling season tickets. He's not going to spend tons of advertising money to get people to an exhibition charity game. I'm sure he's counting on a successfull bball season to get a little more $$$ into the budget...

It was advertised. It was all over social media it was on local news but It was not on billboards. Billboards are expensive and this is for charity which kind of defeats the purpose.

However, the word is out and tickets sales will increase.
I didn't know about local advertising and general awareness pregame. I only know about the article and it's content. I also know that although there was info on the website "pregame", but zero post game info, and so my question is why

Your ideas would have doubled the crowd?

tenor.gif

Someone I know who has watched several practices thinks Archie might be our best player.

I am a big Frogs fan and Archie was one of the most exciting recruits when he chose TCU. While I was upset he left TCU, I was excited that he chose UTEP so I could continue to root for him. The kid can light it up and throw down ridiculous dunks.

Reactions: Rot and unihorn
I didn't know about local advertising and general awareness pregame. I only know about the article and it's content. I also know that although there was info on the website "pregame", but zero post game info, and so my question is why
Because it was an exhibition game for charity? Amazing how we go from celebrating a win to nitpicking this EXHIBITION game.

I am a big Frogs fan and Archie was one of the most exciting recruits when he chose TCU. While I was upset he left TCU, I was excited that he chose UTEP so I could continue to root for him. The kid can light it up and throw down ridiculous dunks.
I am sorry to read that. I'm kidding. Just ribbing.

But anyways, there were no eyes on what CRT was putting together but now UTEP has the college basketball "experts" putting in extra time for this homework assignment. I bet Kap's texts have lit up the last 48 hours from sports journalists from all over.

How disconnected from reality does one have to be to not be aware of what’s occurring around you?

I haven’t lived in El Paso in over two years and I still know of every crime, event, concert, store opening/closing, shopping centers under construction, or anything that gets reported online.

At some point the same old “I didn’t know” excuse needs to be replaced with something more creative.

Doesn’t help that the El Paso times is terrible.
Even when they had a decent spot dept, nobody in El Paso read it. There’s still a ton of people (older people) who are not on social media.
Also doesn’t help with the disabled parking is limited, especially in football. My wife is disabled and it’s hard for her to walk where the bus leaves us off to my tickets in section 8.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Even when they had a decent spot dept, nobody in El Paso read it. There’s still a ton of people (older people) who are not on social media.
Also doesn’t help with the disabled parking is limited, especially in football. My wife is disabled and it’s hard for her to walk where the bus leaves us off to my tickets in section 8.
UTEP needs to improve on that.

Have you emailed Senter?

Your ideas would have doubled the crowd?

tenor.gif

Not on their own, but I'm not the marketing department. Just a fan thinking out loud. To me, the issue is far less about attendance at one exhibition, and more about missed opportunities to expand a fanbase.

You guys have some good ideas, but they’re incremental improvements. Nothing has a bigger impact than winning and quality home games.

You're not wrong, but when your program doesnt win shit for years at a time, it's up to the people in charge to generate interest.

Reactions: minermaniac2023
I forwarded this article to Senter for his edification. Assume he read it, but haven't heard back from him. I also asked why there was no coverage on their website. No answer. After years of losing at everything why wouldn't you jump all over this with flags waving and horns honking?
Unexplainable.
Just heard from Jim. Said that both coaches agreed beforehand that there would be no post game video, stats or coverage/game highlights, etc. The object being that they are both wanting to surprise their opponents and not give them anything in advance.

Just heard from Jim. Said that both coaches agreed beforehand that there would be no post game video, stats or coverage/game highlights, etc. The object being that they are both wanting to surprise their opponents and not give them anything in advance.

That’s fine, but nowhere on their 10/10 article about the game does it mention that. Always after the fact. Mentioning it, is just another selling point, but nope. Have to wait until the complaints roll in and answer them afterward

And the funny thing that most of the ones complaining on here about attendance didn’t attend the game.

Unless I missed it, there don’t seem to be too many complaining about the attendance itself. Maybe a couple/few. However, with that said, this event could’ve been so much more.

I think what’s more concerning is the lack of aggressive marketing of our programs. We don’t need these mega firms (IMG) to get it done. In fact I’d prefer a more grass roots approach from someone more passionate about UTEP athletics.

In the vid clip from the article, the people interviewed were clearly not die hard Miner supporters, however that aspect of the fan base does represent attendance numbers 5001-12,222, approximately.

Not asking for Herculean marketing efforts, but damn, get creative and step it up a bit. And especially if it’s benefiting families who experienced the worst atrocity the city’s ever known.

It’s the overall apathy, and contentedness with mediocrity that has to be challenged in this program. Just my .02 worth.

Honestly, I’m not even bitching about it. I’m just kind of baffled that even with new(er) leadership, not much has changed. At least on the surface of things.

Last edited:
You’re excused.

I think the number is fine. We drew what we averaged last year, to a meaningless friendly. If we’re in contention for a top four bye and we’re still drawing crowds of 4K instead of 8-12k then we have a problem.

That’s true, but all some of us are saying, is that UTEP could have or should have done more. It was Texas Tech, not New Mexico Tech. It was for charity. Just because you choose to follow anything and everything El Paso, doesn’t mean others do.

Unless I missed it, there don’t seem to be too many complaining about the attendance itself. Maybe a couple/few. However, with that said, this event could’ve been so much more.

I think what’s more concerning is the lack of aggressive marketing of our programs. We don’t need these mega firms (IMG) to get it done. In fact I’d prefer a more grass roots approach from someone more passionate about UTEP athletics.

In the vid clip from the article, the people interviewed were clearly not die hard Miner supporters, however that aspect of the fan base does represent attendance numbers 5001-12,222, approximately.

Not asking for Herculean marketing efforts, but damn, get creative and step it up a bit. And especially if it’s benefiting families who experienced the worst atrocity the city’s ever known.

It’s the overall apathy, and contentedness with mediocrity that has to be challenged in this program. Just my .02 worth.

Honestly, I’m not even bitching about it. I’m just kind of baffled that even with new(er) leadership, not much has changed. At least on the surface of things.
Absolutely right on!!!!?

IMO we have 5-6k die hard basketball fans and maybe 10-14k die hard football fans. That group alone could have easily doubled the attendance. They knew about the game and for whatever reason didn’t attend.

If we can’t get the UTEP die hard fans to go, how much advertising dollars would we need to get the casuals to go?

I think everyone is making too big a deal about attendance. It was great attendance for an exhibition game. Had the game been a few weeks after the tragedy I'm sure attendance would have been higher. I'm sure by now there have been hundreds if not thousands of fundraisers for the victims.

In the end it was a glorified practice and 4,500 people showed up. That's great considering most people dont even begin paying attention to college basketball until February.

Our basketball fanbase is very old. The average season ticket holder is over 65. We've been pretty bad for three decades now. We haven't replaced the die hards who are dying off with younger fans. To get attendance back it's going to take sustained winning and luck. By luck I mean being in a one bid league if we win 25 one year and dont win the conference tourney it will severely dent attendance the next season.

People forget in the last 15 years we've only had four sell outs. Floyd's first game against pacific which was the result of 4000 tickets being given to sponsors. The Arizona game which there were still tickets available the day of the game for a top five opponent. The 50th anniversary game which didnt sell out until the night before with again sponsors buying the last 500 tickets.

We sold out The Tulsa game Barbee's last year for our last UTEP squad to be ranked in the top 25.

We didnt sell out any of the cusa tournament games including the championship game against Memphis.

We have an older fan base who is dying off and a new generation of fans who haven't known UTEP to be winner at basketball.

This is going to take time to build up and market. Being in a one bid league makes the marketing job that much harder.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT