ADVERTISEMENT

Miners vs. ttu

I think everyone is making too big a deal about attendance. It was great attendance for an exhibition game. Had the game been a few weeks after the tragedy I'm sure attendance would have been higher. I'm sure by now there have been hundreds if not thousands of fundraisers for the victims.

In the end it was a glorified practice and 4,500 people showed up. That's great considering most people dont even begin paying attention to college basketball until February.

Our basketball fanbase is very old. The average season ticket holder is over 65. We've been pretty bad for three decades now. We haven't replaced the die hards who are dying off with younger fans. To get attendance back it's going to take sustained winning and luck. By luck I mean being in a one bid league if we win 25 one year and dont win the conference tourney it will severely dent attendance the next season.

People forget in the last 15 years we've only had four sell outs. Floyd's first game against pacific which was the result of 4000 tickets being given to sponsors. The Arizona game which there were still tickets available the day of the game for a top five opponent. The 50th anniversary game which didnt sell out until the night before with again sponsors buying the last 500 tickets.

We sold out The Tulsa game Barbee's last year for our last UTEP squad to be ranked in the top 25.

We didnt sell out any of the cusa tournament games including the championship game against Memphis.

We have an older fan base who is dying off and a new generation of fans who haven't known UTEP to be winner at basketball.

This is going to take time to build up and market. Being in a one bid league makes the marketing job that much harder.

I get what you’re saying, but not all the hoops fans are blue hairs.

I think everyone is making too big a deal about attendance. It was great attendance for an exhibition game. Had the game been a few weeks after the tragedy I'm sure attendance would have been higher. I'm sure by now there have been hundreds if not thousands of fundraisers for the victims.

In the end it was a glorified practice and 4,500 people showed up. That's great considering most people dont even begin paying attention to college basketball until February.

Our basketball fanbase is very old. The average season ticket holder is over 65. We've been pretty bad for three decades now. We haven't replaced the die hards who are dying off with younger fans. To get attendance back it's going to take sustained winning and luck. By luck I mean being in a one bid league if we win 25 one year and dont win the conference tourney it will severely dent attendance the next season.

People forget in the last 15 years we've only had four sell outs. Floyd's first game against pacific which was the result of 4000 tickets being given to sponsors. The Arizona game which there were still tickets available the day of the game for a top five opponent. The 50th anniversary game which didnt sell out until the night before with again sponsors buying the last 500 tickets.

We sold out The Tulsa game Barbee's last year for our last UTEP squad to be ranked in the top 25.

We didnt sell out any of the cusa tournament games including the championship game against Memphis.

We have an older fan base who is dying off and a new generation of fans who haven't known UTEP to be winner at basketball.

This is going to take time to build up and market. Being in a one bid league makes the marketing job that much harder.

Even the few we get in the student section are sitting down looking at their phones and ignoring the game. The "Miner Maniacs" of today don't match those of yesteryear

Even the few we get in the student section are sitting down looking at their phones and ignoring the game. The "Miner Maniacs" of today don't match those of yesteryear

There hasn't been a semblance of a student section in almost twenty years.

C-USA. Thank you, C-USA for taking us and destroying all rivalries and ensuring the slow rotting of the tremendous fan base we once had. Thank you, C-USA. You should have said "no" to us for our own good.

C-USA. Thank you, C-USA for taking us and destroying all rivalries and ensuring the slow rotting of the tremendous fan base we once had. Thank you, C-USA. You should have said "no" to us for our own good.

Blame CUSA all you want, but UTEP is here because of their own actions. The basketball program didn’t hold us up after 92 and football put the nail in the coffin. If Stull turned down the MWC like some have said 5-6 years ago, things might be different.

Winning 1 basketball and football championship in 14 years, isn’t CUSAs fault. If the league sucks so bad, we should have a ton of banners, not 1. LaTech, MTSU, and WKU all have a lot more and they’ve been in the league less time.

Blame CUSA all you want, but UTEP is here because of their own actions. The basketball program didn’t hold us up after 92 and football put the nail in the coffin. If Stull turned down the MWC like some have said 5-6 years ago, things might be different.

Winning 1 basketball and football championship in 14 years, isn’t CUSAs fault. If the league sucks so bad, we should have a ton of banners, not 1. LaTech, MTSU, and WKU all have a lot more and they’ve been in the league less time.

I'll admit my post was a poor attempt to point the finger directly at US. At our choice of conference affiliation. I'm not blaming the conference itself. I'm blaming our membership in a conference that makes no ****ing sense.

I've noted before how much I hate being in C-USA. No natural rivalries. Nothing in common with locations in Kentucky or the Carolinas or Florida or wherever the hell ODU is located. And even the schools closer to us, I mean, ****. They were division 3 (if they even fielded a team) when we were winning conference championships and playing in the NCAA tourney. And now they're kicking our asses. This is what being in C-USA has done to us.

I'll admit my post was a poor attempt to point the finger directly at US. At our choice of conference affiliation. I'm not blaming the conference itself. I'm blaming our membership in a conference that makes no ****ing sense.

I've noted before how much I hate being in C-USA. No natural rivalries. Nothing in common with locations in Kentucky or the Carolinas or Florida or wherever the hell ODU is located. And even the schools closer to us, I mean, ****. They were division 3 (if they even fielded a team) when we were winning conference championships and playing in the NCAA tourney. And now they're kicking our asses. This is what being in C-USA has done to us.

The only "natural" rivalry I felt was in basketball vs UAB but that was when Barbee was here. C-USA made "sense" at the time in 2005 to join SMU, Rice, Houston, and Tulsa (they were in the WAC with us so adding them in). However, do to variables beyond our control on this fan board (we all know parts of them like failing to win a bowl game, Stull's incompetence and Natalicio's indifference to name a few), we were left behind.

ODU is in Virginia btw, great place to visit when you can. As far as them, and I quote "They were division 3 (if they even fielded a team) when we were winning conference championships and playing in the NCAA tourney. And now they're kicking our asses. This is what being in C-USA has done to us." That's not based on us being in CUSA, if that was the case, they would "suck". Their success is based on having the right leadership in charge, and having a fan/alumni base donate to their athletic department to help them grow. This is why I'm willing to give Senter time, he was hired to raise money. He did it at the Citadel "Senter’s fundraising efforts resulted in significant improvements being made to the football, basketball and baseball facilities. He grew scholarship endowment by nearly $6 million in cash and pledges over three years. His total fundraising numbers set school records." However, the challenge with UTEP is that no one wants to put money in a product that has been horrible. No money=no significant revenue for changes.

Last edited:
Being in cusa has nothing to do with us being awful... bad leadership and choices have led to that... now you can say fan service has sucked because a lot of non die hard college sports people don’t know anything about cusa members

ODU is fun to hate because of their arrogance.

UTSA is well, UTSA. Poor bastards.

Marshall is in W. Viginia, enough said. (And I have family from that state).

UAB. They were building a great basketball program the last 15 years. Football won out. Alabama reminds them everyday "Mom & dad do not love you". At least Texas and Texas A & M are not that disrespectful of UTEP

La Tech. They are a UTEP rival. Basketball or football, they both leave it on the field and court.

UNT. Southern Norman is the UTSA of CUSA. One good year does not constitute you as top tier.

USM hates UTEP. Not sure the logic why but they do not like us and vote against UTEP at CUSA meetings. Sadler simmered the hate due to his stint here.

FIU/FAU. Can't form rivalries when partying is more important and all those other distractions. Basketball has had good games the last couple years.

Rice. See USM. This is a rivalry. Rice will not acknowledge UTEP's engineering program prowress. Football games have everything except guns, bats, knives and chains but if allowed, both teams would bring'em.

oops forgot others....

Charollete FBS is tough sledding. Being in AAC country is tough, and unlike Texas, good recruits are poached early and there is not that many.

MTSU. Good programs but they're not in Nashville. This rivalry is on "Slow Cook".

WKU is a good CUSA member. Good programs and hire top coaches when the other goes. They like playing UTEP, especially in basketball. UTEP needs to nuture this rivalry.

Rice. See USM. This is a rivalry. Rice will not acknowledge UTEP's engineering program prowress. Football games have everything except guns, bats, knives and chains but if allowed, both teams would bring'em.[/QUOTE]

Rice is the top academic school in the state of Texas. Very few schools can hold a candle to Rice academically. UTEP is no different we arent on the same level as Rice is any academic discipline. There are very few schools who can compete with Rice academically: The Ivy league and then Duke, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, MIT, Cal Tech, Stanford and USC. The list is very small and UTEP ain't on it neither is any C-USA school or the other schools in Texas.

Yes they are, but we ourselves put down our own school but yet it makes top college lists and is growing. UNT is a good school but is barely known as such.

Anyways, Rice and UTEP have a good rivalry. UTEP boosters remind every new UTEP basketball coach "We don't lose to Rice".

As you might imagine, Villa is hard to shoot over in the perimeter and plays more like a big guard than a post or inside player.

Bryson Williams looked like a man among boys.

Edwards is very long, plays bigger than his 6'3" frame.

Some guys played better than others this Saturday but on any given night, any of our top 7 or 8 will be able to light it up.

Vila is a Euro player from Spain. They play basketball the right way overseas. Here in the states it is flying, dunking, one man show basketball.

As you might imagine, Villa is hard to shoot over in the perimeter and plays more like a big guard than a post or inside player.

Some guys played better than others this Saturday but on any given night, any of our top 7 or 8 will be able to light it up.

After watching that video, a few things are VERY evident:

1. Williams is going to be a problem for EVERYONE we play this year. That kid is a beast

2. Our FT shooting is VASTLY improved

3. Our Defense is much improved as well

4. We have several players who didn't have their best offensive game, but they'll have their games in due time.

What's really nice is that we have so many players who can step up if other's are having an off night. We should be able to compete with everyone on the schedule this year. Should be a fun ride!

What does this even mean? And isn't UTSA the UTSA of CUSA?
I messed it up, but it's a joke.

This King of the Hill clip explains it best. There is an episode where Hank goes into a store near North Texas and runs into Oklahoma transplants and they run him out singing "Boomer Sooner". It is colloquial joking thing within that region.

Just watch the clip.

Thanks for posting that vid jdubb. Got a little taste. Much appreciated.

From the Big 12 re: Texas Tech players:

Texas Tech senior guard Chris Clarke earned Preseason Newcomer of the Year accolades

Honorable Mention list includes:

Chris Clarke (Texas Tech), Davide Moretti (Texas Tech), Jahmi’us Ramsey (Texas Tech)

2019-20 Preseason All-Big 12 Honorable Mention

Chris Clarke (Texas Tech), Davide Moretti (Texas Tech), Jahmi’us Ramsey (Texas Tech)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT