ADVERTISEMENT

More crap coming to CUSA and UTEP schedules

Good addition from a TV contract standpoint, but please don't add anymore. TV contract will suck regardless, we don't need to split the pot anymore.

Unless we get invited to the MWC. Then, who cares.

That's a terrible add. No way to spin it. KSU gets no traction in Metro Atlanta. They play in a 9000 seat stadium. Wow. They are 1000 times less visible in Atlanta than Georgia State and Georgia State isn't getting any attention in Metro Atlanta. Just terrible.

I don’t understand the comments in this thread. Kennesaw has 37k+ undergrads (~4K graduate students) and an athletic fee of $221 per person. The undergrads alone generate 8+million per year just for their athletic programs. For reference, UTEP doesn’t have an athletic fee but does have a $70 recreation fee with almost half the undergrads. They won’t bring an Atlanta sized fan base, but they won’t need to. We’re after markets and recruiting grounds moreso than prestige at this point in college football alignment (just look at Rice and Charlotte moving up conferences).

They’ve had a winning record every year in FCS football and are in the Atlanta area, which is a huge boon for recruiting. I wouldn’t be surprised if were trailing them in a few years like we did with UCF.

They’re trash at basketball, but basketball doesn’t drive revenue like football does.

I don’t understand the comments in this thread. Kennesaw has 37k+ undergrads (~4K graduate students) and an athletic fee of $221 per person. The undergrads alone generate 8+million per year just for their athletic programs. For reference, UTEP doesn’t have an athletic fee but does have a $70 recreation fee with almost half the undergrads. They won’t bring an Atlanta sized fan base, but they won’t need to. We’re after markets and recruiting grounds moreso than prestige at this point in college football alignment (just look at Rice and Charlotte moving up conferences).

They’ve had a winning record every year in FCS football and are in the Atlanta area, which is a huge boon for recruiting. I wouldn’t be surprised if were trailing them in a few years like we did with UCF.

They’re trash at basketball, but basketball doesn’t drive revenue like football does.
Why would someone attending a game at the Sun Bowl care about another teams student population or athletics fee? Or how much in generates?

They’re 1400 miles and two time zones away from us. 15 years ago, we were in the midst of NCAA tournament and bowl bids. Playing the likes of Houston, SMU, and Memphis every year.

Now, we’re having fans defending CUSA adding no name FCS schools that are far away. KSU will never bring any fans to games and vice versa.

We used to play BYU and Utah and now fans are talking about a suburbian Atlanta school’s athletics fees as a reason to be cool with this. Unbelievable

UTEP students are too poor to pay an athletic fee, I’ve heard.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
We “use to”. Let’s not hold ourselves up to a standard that we’re not at. No conference wants US but we’re snobby enough to reject other? Funny.

Reactions: denverutep
That's a terrible add. No way to spin it. KSU gets no traction in Metro Atlanta. They play in a 9000 seat stadium. Wow. They are 1000 times less visible in Atlanta than Georgia State and Georgia State isn't getting any attention in Metro Atlanta. Just terrible.
They would have to expand their stadium to qualify for FBS.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I know that. The point was they have a 9,000 seat stadium that they haven't grown into yet. They are a perrenial FCS playoff squad but they only average about 5,500 per game. It's great to have 41,000 students but none of them give a damn about KSU athletics. Nobody in Metro Atlanta cares about KSU. At this point Judy should just ask Ogelthorpe to add football and move from D3 to D1 and then add Morehouse make them move from d2. This would give CUSA 3 schools in the three biggest counties in the Metro: Cobb, Fulton and Dekalb. That way CUSA could claim they own a top ten Metro. This is just a bad add. A big commuter school nobody gives a damn about in an over saturated market.

I know that. The point was they have a 9,000 seat stadium that they haven't grown into yet. They are a perrenial FCS playoff squad but they only average about 5,500 per game. It's great to have 41,000 students but none of them give a damn about KSU athletics. Nobody in Metro Atlanta cares about KSU. At this point Judy should just ask Ogelthorpe to add football and move from D3 to D1 and then add Morehouse make them move from d2. This would give CUSA 3 schools in the three biggest counties in the Metro: Cobb, Fulton and Dekalb. That way CUSA could claim they own a top ten Metro. This is just a bad add. A big commuter school nobody gives a damn about in an over saturated market.
UTEP has 23,000 students that don’t give a damn

Why would someone attending a game at the Sun Bowl care about another teams student population or athletics fee? Or how much in generates?

They’re 1400 miles and two time zones away from us. 15 years ago, we were in the midst of NCAA tournament and bowl bids. Playing the likes of Houston, SMU, and Memphis every year.

Now, we’re having fans defending CUSA adding no name FCS schools that are far away. KSU will never bring any fans to games and vice versa.

We used to play BYU and Utah and now fans are talking about a suburbian Atlanta school’s athletics fees as a reason to be cool with this. Unbelievable
Objectively? No one cares about Kennesaw more than they did MTSU. It won’t drive attendance the same way FIU and FAU never have. The point was they are funding their athletic programs to get ahead and are putting their football program in a position to succeed, more than what the UTEP students have voted for.

Houston, SMU, and Memphis weren’t exactly selling out the Sun Bowl with their fans were they?

Sure we beat BYU the year after they won the title. Sure we beat Georgetown when they were ranked top ten. All of that happened before most UTEP students were born. At a certain point you have to stop expecting champagne for a beer budget. UTEP is not in the position they were decades ago. Both programs hit near rock bottom and if you can’t appreciate them trying to claw back to relevancy with what they currently have, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Objectively? No one cares about Kennesaw more than they did MTSU. It won’t drive attendance the same way FIU and FAU never have. The point was they are funding their athletic programs to get ahead and are putting their football program in a position to succeed, more than what the UTEP students have voted for.

Houston, SMU, and Memphis weren’t exactly selling out the Sun Bowl with their fans were they?

Sure we beat BYU the year after they won the title. Sure we beat Georgetown when they were ranked top ten. All of that happened before most UTEP students were born. At a certain point you have to stop expecting champagne for a beer budget. UTEP is not in the position they were decades ago. Both programs hit near rock bottom and if you can’t appreciate them trying to claw back to relevancy with what they currently have, then I don’t know what to tell you.
MTSU went to FBS in 2000 and cut their teeth in the Sun Belt for awhile before coming to CUSA. They were at least a bonafide FBS program before they joined CUSA. Same with FIU and FAU. That is the difference. CUSA is now the slums of FBS and will take any polished turd into the league.

Do you think KSU will bring MORE fans to UTEP games than SMU, Houston, or Memphis did?

Reactions: MinerFan79
The way I see it, is.... KSU is no different than the add of Jacksonville St. or really Sam Houston. It's the CUSA trying to survive by adding decent to really good FCS schools. Coastal Carolina, South Alabama, Appalachian St. we're in the same boat recently and now all those teams have better Football programs than UTEP. So we need to be more concerned with our product improvement!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
MTSU went to FBS in 2000 and cut their teeth in the Sun Belt for awhile before coming to CUSA. They were at least a bonafide FBS program before they joined CUSA. Same with FIU and FAU. That is the difference. CUSA is now the slums of FBS and will take any polished turd into the league.

Do you think KSU will bring MORE fans to UTEP games than SMU, Houston, or Memphis did?
Don’t think CUSA is concerned about how many fans will travel to El Paso. Just can’t imagine that being one of their criteria.
UTEP just needs to start kicking everyone’s ass and get out of the conference.

Don’t think CUSA is concerned about how many fans will travel to El Paso. Just can’t imagine that being one of their criteria.
UTEP just needs to start kicking everyone’s ass and get out of the conference.
Never did I once say that it was criteria or should be. I am only talking about it from fan perspective. Another no name team, from far away, that doesn’t benefit UTEP. Closer opponents have the ability to bring in paying customers to the Sun Bowl.

How does adding them benefit UTEP? UTEP might get a paragraph article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution? That will bring in the recruits and out of state students won’t it?

CUSA is desperate and just continues to devalue themselves with these adds. Their focus should have been bringing in North Dakota St, not a 10th choice Atlanta team.

CUSA tried markets, it didn’t work.

Reactions: MinerFan79

If one had any foresight, one knew CUSA was looking to expand by at least a team. If one used any amount of logic and reason, one knew that the team(s) brought in were not going to be world beaters. You sound surprised.

I don’t think anybody is defending who CUSA brought in. At least I didn’t interpret any responses as defending CUSA. And…who CUSA brings in isn’t gonna be affected by your dissatisfaction, or any amount of fan dissatisfaction. The conference is fighting for its survival.

Does one have to like it? No. It sux that we are where we are. It is the reality though. You can argue against reality, and you’ll lose, but only 100% of the time.

I guess what I find curious is who you thought was gonna be brought in?

If one had any foresight, one knew CUSA was looking to expand by at least a team. If one used any amount of logic and reason, one knew that the team(s) brought in were not going to be world beaters. You sound surprised.
CUSA will have 9 teams next year, means you play all 8 teams in football and have 16 conference basketball games. There is nothing wrong with having 9 members. They didn’t even try to see how it “works” and already added another mouth to feed.

So, I am “surprised”. Surprised they didn’t even let 2023-24 play out. They could have taken this team last October too or in 3 Octobers. Could have joined CUSA at any time because nobody else would have taken them. Not sure what the “rush” is.

CUSA had a chance to be a “respectable” basketball league and that is now out the door by adding this trash team.

CUSA will have 9 teams next year, means you play all 8 teams in football and have 16 conference basketball games. There is nothing wrong with having 9 members. They didn’t even try to see how it “works” and already added another mouth to feed.

So, I am “surprised”. Surprised they didn’t even let 2023-24 play out. They could have taken this team last October too or in 3 Octobers. Could have joined CUSA at any time because nobody else would have taken them. Not sure what the “rush” is.

CUSA had a chance to be a “respectable” basketball league and that is now out the door by adding this trash team.
Fair enough. However all previous rumblings I came across had been about expanding. Never thought it would stay at 9.

That’s not admission of support. But it is what it is. Just wasn’t one bit surprised by the move.

Fair enough. However all previous rumblings I came across had been about expanding. Never thought it would stay at 9.

That’s not admission of support. But it is what it is. Just wasn’t one bit surprised by the move.
I don't know if N. Dakota was an option. If and when they go FBS I think the Mountain West gets them. CUSA options were more like E. Kentucky, Missouri St. Stephen F. Austin, Tarleton St. etc... Kennesaw St. has had a consistent Football program since they've been in existence they're 64-21. With that said does this move the needle, No. However would any of the other choices? UTEP needs to worry about UTEP!

I don't know if N. Dakota was an option. If and when they go FBS I think the Mountain West gets them. CUSA options were more like E. Kentucky, Missouri St. Stephen F. Austin, Tarleton St. etc... Kennesaw St. has had a consistent Football program since they've been in existence they're 64-21. With that said does this move the needle, No. However would any of the other choices? UTEP needs to worry about UTEP!
No way NDSU was in play. You’re probably right, MWC, or better, is in their future if they do indeed move up.

Agree, UTEP needs to worry about UTEP.

Never did I say NDSU was in play. That is who CUSA should put their focus on. Kennesaw St will be there at any time you need them. You keep improving or doing things that would be attractive to NDSU and other “top” FCS programs.

Reactions: kickballpro
Never did I say NDSU was in play. That is who CUSA should put their focus on. Kennesaw St will be there at any time you need them. You keep improving or doing things that would be attractive to NDSU and other “top” FCS programs.

NDSU is a legit program that would bring in a program that will consistently be in the Top 25. They aren’t scared of investing in athletics.

The problem with NDSU is that these Conferences don’t see their market value.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Glad we were able to beat out the SEC and Big 10 for them. This program will boost the conference profile from the start. CUSA needed to act quickly and they did. With this addition, it's basically

SEC and Big 10

CUSA

Everyone else

The leadership of CUSA is on a mission to move forward at full speed.

I don’t think anybody suggested that. I responded to natty.

CUSA will never be attractive to NDSU. They’d remain FCS before joining CUSA. UTEP’s only hope for a better conference is to somehow get an invite to the MWC.

Not an exciting addition but I don't go to UTEP games to watch their opponents. I go to UTEP games to watch UTEP.
Agree. Not exciting at all. Even as a conference member, pretty sure UTEP didn’t have much say in the matter at all.

It’s quite the hole we find ourselves in right now. Wonder if we’ll ever claw our way out of it.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
If CUSA can land UT Arlington and then give them some money to add Football, that would be an A+ addition

They are the largest University in the Nation without Football. They are in the Center of a recruiting hotbed. They already have facilities.
Nope.
Grand Canyon and NYU have more students. Utah Valley and Cal St Fullerton have about the same amount. All have no football

According to the Dallas Morning News they are.

Can’t read it. Grand Canyon has 100,000ish students. Arlington doesn’t have half that. I would bet Southern New Hampshire has more students now too.

Reactions: kickballpro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT