ADVERTISEMENT

More Portal News

Don’t worry, we just beat out Henderson St, Slippery Rock, and North Vermont Tech for a JUCO WR the other day. It’s obvious Tyrin is scared of competition and didn’t want to lose his spot. Now that he’s not with us, he’s against us!!!!! Unless, he decides to comeback again!!!!!

We all knew it was coming. He had a good season but his drop on a wide open touchdown vs North Texas at a sold out Sun Bowl ended up setting the tone for the season.

Isn’t that what we said about Cowing?
I don’t think Smith replaced Cowing’s production. He was 400 yards shy when counting yards from scrimmage. Smith also gained 5 yards less per play from scrimmage.

That’s not a knock on Smith. I think he’s a huge loss. I don’t think we will have a 1000 yard receiver this year. Unless someone we don’t know about steps up big time.

He isnt getting much attention on his tweet. When Byers announced he was transfering he was getting comments from everyone. So far only fans to comment are UTSA, BYU, and Miami.

He isnt getting much attention on his tweet. When Byers announced he was transfering he was getting comments from everyone. So far only fans to comment are UTSA, BYU, and Miami.
If he wants to go closer to home (UTSA), he won’t get many opportunities with Cephus and Clark both deciding to return.

Reactions: Lil_Train
i wonder if dimel would welcome him back again if he doesn’t like his offers?
Based on our current situation, I don’t think Dimel has a choice. UTEP has lost every recruiting battle with other mid major schools that we competed for the same recruits. Dimel and staff need to be more aggressive and target quality skill players or next year will be a disaster.

Not that it matters anymore, but surprisingly, Tyrin smith is on visit to Texas A&M. Did not think he’d attract attention from big schools like that.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Not that it matters anymore, but surprisingly, Tyrin smith is on visit to Texas A&M. Did not think he’d attract attention from big schools like that.
I figured he would want go closer to home. And going to the SEC definitely justifies a transfer.

You can’t blame guys for greener pastures. If you’re UTEP you could maybe use that as a selling point to bring in kids that are middle of the road guys. The offer of playing time and the fact that kids have left UTEP for Arizona, FSU and potentially A&M could land UTEP in the enviable role in todays college football landscape as being a feeder school. I’d rather have higher end kids for 1 or 2 years instead of low end kids for 4.

Last edited:
If you’re not a P5 school, you are basically getting guys that want to be at P5 schools. And the more successful you are as a G5 the more eyes are on the good players for your school. If you’re a P5 the players are now looking to be at another P5 that pays more.

The Florida QB basically gave you a glimpse of the future of College Football. Just like when McCaffery dropped from the Sun Bowl, everyone started wondering if it would be a trend to drop out of Bowl Games, it became normal and understandable. Now you’ve got this QB from Florida who backed out of his LOI because he had a 13 million dollar deal in place and it fell through. It will soon be normal and understandable for an athlete to walk over money and for the LOI to mean nothing.

Reactions: Lil_Train
UTEP will have a hard time getting and keeping good WRs as long as Dismel is the coach. Sure, money is great, but it’s not everything. Can’t blame a guy for wanting to be on a SEC team, rather than stay and play Sam Houston and FIU.

Reactions: Taco1977
If you’re not a P5 school, you are basically getting guys that want to be at P5 schools. And the more successful you are as a G5 the more eyes are on the good players for your school. If you’re a P5 the players are now looking to be at another P5 that pays more.

The Florida QB basically gave you a glimpse of the future of College Football. Just like when McCaffery dropped from the Sun Bowl, everyone started wondering if it would be a trend to drop out of Bowl Games, it became normal and understandable. Now you’ve got this QB from Florida who backed out of his LOI because he had a 13 million dollar deal in place and it fell through. It will soon be normal and understandable for an athlete to walk over money and for the LOI to mean nothing.
Don't know if true or not but heard that Bryce Young, QB for Alabama, made $3.5 million of NIL money this year. Wow. UTEP will never compete anywhere near that level.

Don't know if true or not but heard that Bryce Young, QB for Alabama, made $3.5 million of NIL money this year. Wow. UTEP will never compete anywhere near that level.
UTEP doesn’t compete at or near that level and never has. Like comparing the Saskatchewan Roughriders to the Dallas Cowboys.

I still think Utep needs to create a strong nil for basketball so our university can at least stay on the map—- it’s easier in our situation to get nil for 4-5 Bball players then 15-20 for a football team
This is why UTEP is going to be in CUSA for a very long time watching these new schools join CUSA and then leave us in the dust.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I still think Utep needs to create a strong nil for basketball so our university can at least stay on the map—- it’s easier in our situation to get nil for 4-5 Bball players then 15-20 for a football team
LOL our basketball is in worse shape than football. Did you see the Don this week for FIU? Empty. No one cares

Reactions: FedupMiner
How big was Johnnie Lee Higgins? How big was Jacob Cowings? Smith looked very fast to me. Broke away a lot
His hands seemed to be an issue. Those drops in the first game were a killer. But hey! If he gets to A&M more power to him.

His hands seemed to be an issue. Those drops in the first game were a killer. But hey! If he gets to A&M more power to him.
Yes good for him, he’s enrolling at A&M tomorrow. He gets to play 3 hours from home for what should be a pretty good team (you never know with A&M), and can be a part of one of the best alumni networks in the world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT