ADVERTISEMENT

Most recent mea culpas--Goodell and Gundy.

It's all about the $$$ folks--and Mullet Mike and Rude Roger are backpedaling. It's time they stop using athletes as pawns in this game.

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/nascar-confederate-flag/

WTF are you talking about? Every single one of the Oklahoma St players voluntarily played football and voluntarily signed with OK St. Every single NFL player, making hundreds of thousands of dollars, at minimum, is doing so voluntarily.

The NFL and college scholarships help out the black community tremendously. It’s not their fault, a very very small amount of black kids want to be cops, doctors, lawyers, or blue collar workers. The youth want to be NFL players, rappers, and YouTube celebrities. How many black celebrities are encouraging their black communities to want to be a regular person and not try to be a star? Why doesn’t Barry Sanders start a future cops program in Detroit or something?

This is what I am talking about NoNutsSince1992--Mike Gundy's salary in 2019 was 5 million dollars. How much were his athletes (the real entertainers who put people in the stadium) paid? That is why Mullet Mike is backpedaling all the way to the bank...

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
This is what I am talking about NoNutsSince1992--Mike Gundy's salary in 2019 was $5 million dollars. How much were his athletes (the real entertainers who put people in the stadium) paid? That is why Mullet Mike is backpedaling all the way to the bank...

He actually didn’t backpedal much.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
This is what I am talking about NoNutsSince1992--Mike Gundy's salary in 2019 was $5 million dollars. How much were his athletes (the real entertainers who put people in the stadium) paid? That is why Mullet Mike is backpedaling all the way to the bank...

They received a scholarship. It’s their choice whether they use it to their advantage. How many non-athletes have to take out loans galore to attend the college of their choice? Football players have a head start on the common college student. That is how they’re paid.

Gundy gets paid what he’s worth. Is he supposed to say, no pay me $500,000 a year?

The players are just now realizing they have the power. The schools build football cathedrals, and 100 million dollar practice facilities on the backs of mostly African Americans from poor upbringings. Schools use athletics to fundraise for libraries, scholarships and other needs in academia. The donors are mostly white and don't hire the players after college and certainly wouldnt want them to date their daughters. They are disregarded by schools without any regard for them the minute they can't make them money.

This is the first generation of college athletes who are ready to use their voices and are politically engaged. They realize they are the ATM that fund these universities. They have the power to change curriculum get rid of racist legacies of the past and hold coaches accountable. Mike Gundy should have been fired yesterday. The tonedeafness is unforgivable.

They received a scholarship. It’s their choice whether they use it to their advantage. How many non-athletes have to take out loans galore to attend the college of their choice? Football players have a head start on the common college student. That is how they’re paid.

Gundy gets paid what he’s worth. Is he supposed to say, no pay me $500,000 a year?

LOL--it is great entertainment stirring up a hornet's nest and waiting for people to come out of hiding. I'm waiting for Bob to chime in any time now...

The players are just now realizing they have the power. The schools build football cathedrals, and 100 million dollar practice facilities on the backs of mostly African Americans from poor upbringings. Schools use athletics to fundraise for libraries, scholarships and other needs in academia. The donors are mostly white and don't hire the players after college and certainly wouldnt want them to date their daughters. They are disregarded by schools without any regard for them the minute they can't make them money.

This is the first generation of college athletes who are ready to use their voices and are politically engaged. They realize they are the ATM that fund these universities. They have the power to change curriculum get rid of racist legacies of the past and hold coaches accountable. Mike Gundy should have been fired yesterday. The tonedeafness is unforgivable.

Post of the year...

The donors are mostly white and don't hire the players after college and certainly wouldnt want them to date their daughters. They are disregarded by schools without any regard for them the minute they can't make them money.

Generalize much? They are disregarded when their scholarship is up and the student failed to capitalize on their enhanced opportunity versus a regular college student.

Would you want an ex-football player who failed to get a degree, didn’t take school seriously, and failed at his goal of being a NFL player to date your daughter? Maybe he’ll be good enough to play in an arena league for $200 a week or play in the CFL, if he’s lucky.

What job are you going to hire an ex-football player without a degree for? Tell me.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Generalize much? They are disregarded when their scholarship is up and the student failed to capitalize on their enhanced opportunity versus a regular college student.

Would you want an ex-football player who failed to get a degree, didn’t take school seriously, and failed at his goal of being a NFL player to date your daughter? Maybe he’ll be good enough to play in an arena league for $200 a week or play in the CFL, if he’s lucky.

What job are you going to hire an ex-football player without a degree for? Tell me.

Most players leave with a degree especially in the era of APR. The schools usually Sheppard players through " easy courses". There are alot of players walking around with degrees in things such as agricultural sciences, general studies. A few get meaningful degrees they still aren't being hired by the donors.

Most players leave with a degree especially in the era of APR. The schools usually Sheppard players through " easy courses". There are alot of players walking around with degrees in things such as agricultural sciences, general studies. A few get meaningful degrees they still aren't being hired by the donors.

Are donors required to hire ex-football players? Name 1 football player who is claiming this.

As I mentioned yesterday the rise of the HBCU's is coming

Nope. They don’t have the facilities or coaches that will help their athletic careers elsewhere. 2 HBCUs left the MEAC recently to join the Big South Conference. Nobody with athletic ambition is choosing Maryland-Eastern Shore over Maryland, not happening, not now, not ever!

Are donors required to hire ex-football players? Name 1 football player who is claiming this.

No but they have no problem hiring white and Asian kids from their alma mater. I don't know very many CEOs who don't reserve a few internships or high paid entry level jobs for kids who graduate from their alma mater.

No but they have no problem hiring white and Asian kids from their alma mater. I don't know very many CEOs who don't reserve a few internships or high paid entry level jobs for kids who graduate from their alma mater.

Whatever. Name 1 football/basketball player claiming donors aren’t hiring them.

Yes very good post, but I dont agree that Gundy should have been fired on the spot. For what? If there is a proven history with Gundy then he should have been fired long ago. If that history has been covered up, then the AD should be fired. Its a tough situation all around. There are going to be different perceptions of the same reality. I understand that some may disagree, but this cannot be a witch hunt because of racist insinuations. There is a lot of racism and it needs to be systematically stamped out. Throwing the word in somebody's face after the fact leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.

Yes very good post, but I dont agree that Gundy should have been fired on the spot. For what? If there is a proven history with Gundy then he should have been fired long ago. If that history has been covered up, then the AD should be fired. Its a tough situation all around. There are going to be different perceptions of the same reality. I understand that some may disagree, but this cannot be a witch hunt because of racist insinuations. There is a lot of racism and it needs to be systematically stamped out. Throwing the word in somebody's face after the fact leaves a real bad taste in my mouth.

Gundy is the leader of a team made up mostly of African Americans. He is one of the few father figures alot of these young men have. He made a conscious choice to wear the shirt of a right ring propaganda news network that has floated outrageous false conspiracy theories about BLM smeared the reputation of George Floyd. They basically throw red meet to white supremacists. For Gundy to wear that shirt is a slap in the face to his players and their families and the communities they live in. To wear that shirt during the biggest racial unrest since 1968 is unconscionable. He lost all credibility with the families of his black players. He goes into the inner city to try recruit black athletes there will be coaches that tell him to f*** off. Hes lost morale authority and clearly lacks the judgement that's expected of the second highest paid state employee of oklahoma and the leader of OSU's program

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Gundy is the leader of a team made up mostly of African Americans. He is one of the few father figures alot of these young men have. He made a conscious choice to wear the shirt of a right ring propaganda news network that has floated outrageous false conspiracy theories about BLM smeared the reputation of George Floyd. They basically throw red meet to white supremacists. For Gundy to wear that shirt is a slap in the face to his players and their families and the communities they live in. To wear that shirt during the biggest racial unrest since 1968 is unconscionable. He lost all credibility with the families of his black players. He goes into the inner city to try recruit black athletes there will be coaches that tell him to f*** off. Hes lost morale authority and clearly lacks the judgement that's expected of the second highest paid state employee of oklahoma and the leader of OSU's program

Good grief — over a t-shirt.

How much of his life energy do you think he’s spent trying to better young black men’s lives?

Fine. I guess this was Gundy's "coming out" party so to speak. I dont know him, but its clear now that he should be fired retroactively.

You sure do make a lot of assumptions about black football players and their families.

You hit the nail in the head regarding the vacuum of a father figure in most of these men's life. I believe that institutional breakdown has had numerous ramifications in our social fabric.

I will disagree with the take on the shirt=red meat for white supremacists. This is a blanket statement that is used to over generalize and create a negative pathos. It's not necessary to do that. I mean if I wear an ESPN shirt does that constitue that I love any political isle? No. You don't know the background and the context. If he likes that news network, more power to him. And more power to people who like CNN, CBS, Fox News whatever. News network selection does not always equal extreme side of isle.

Reactions: axingfools1
Good grief — over a t-shirt.

How much of his life energy do you think he’s spent trying to better young black men’s lives?

Me and you don’t agree on a lot of shit, but this is one. He wore a t-shirt, it’s not like it was a Hitler t-shirt or something racist. Gundy is probably a Trump guy, you mean to tell me none of the players had a problem with that like 2 weeks ago?

White coaches do a lot for black players. Are white guys only supposed to coach white guys now?

Let’s say Gundy gets canned and shamed. Would you take him at UTEP?

Let’s say Gundy gets canned and shamed. Would you take him at UTEP?

Interesting question. I would take literally almost anyone over Dimel. As it pertains to Gundy. I believe in second chances. My concerns would be is apology sincere? Is he going to use this moment to educate himself about social issues so he can better understand his players? What is the lasting damage on the recruiting. If I'm looking to hire him I'm going to reach out to high school football coaches and ask them if they would be comfortable having their player play for Mike Gundy. I'd also call the local chapters of the NAACP in OKC, Tulsa, Dallas, Houston and Austin and floats the idea by them. If these two groups didn't have any issues I would hire him. UTEP is already tough enough to recruit to. If Gundy has lasting damage done to him by this it would be a disaster to hire him here.

I think OSU will fire him. This will certainly damage the program in the short term. Certainly not help them close the gap with the Sooners. It looks terrible comparing it against how conference foe Tom Herman has handled this time at Texas. Hes handled this better than anyone except maybe Geoff Collins at Georgia Tech. The goal at OSU is to win the big 12 championship every year. Today they are much further away from that goal than they have been in recent memory.

Yeah a t-shirt of OAN, come on now. I agree that he and heck all coaches could use education about issues of today: discrimination, cultural issues, etc. But to say he needs a second chance for wearing a t-shirt? That seems a bit of a reach.

Will I be shocked if he's fired: shockingly no.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT