ADVERTISEMENT

My rumor mill

UTEPfan1966

MI VIP
Apr 26, 2016
It seems Wenzel was a project player. He was going to be redshirted. I guess his decision to not come is no big deal, at least in my eyes....

Piggy backing on bigwood, I hear the new assistant coach has been a D1 coach for many years. He's supposed to be a splash get. I don't know. I didn't get a name.

I also hear the team will be really effing good next year, as in the dance good....No one else is leaving...we are set.....

Dunno about any late signings though...

It seems Wenzel was a project player. He was going to be redshirted. I guess his decision to not come is no big deal, at least in my eyes....

Piggy backing on bigwood, I hear the new assistant coach has been a D1 coach for many years. He's supposed to be a splash get. I don't know. I didn't get a name.

I also hear the team will be really effing good next year, as in the dance good....No one else is leaving...we are set.....

Dunno about any late signings though...
Co-sign.

Didn't game a name either, but was told it has been a decade since he has coached, and he's from the Fresno area....

Is Tasmanian still alive? Tarkanian.

Not for nothing but coach posted a pic of himself with his best friend Clyde and Clydes wife Yulia on March 18 as he was showing them around El Paso.. He subsequently made his account private. Could mean nothing.

Is Tasmanian still alive? Tarkanian.

Not for nothing but coach posted a pic of himself with his best friend Clyde and Clydes wife Yulia on March 18 as he was showing them around El Paso.. He subsequently made his account private. Could mean nothing.

Who is Clyde?

I have absolutely no inside information on this, but Ray Lopes “might” fit the descriptions described above. He was the Fresno State head coach for 3 years, where he went a combined 87-50. He was then let go over a decade ago, which would match the description. He went on to be an assistant coach at Idaho and then he was an assistant at Washington State for a year or two, but I can not find if he has coached during the past couple of years?

Prior to to becoming the head coach at Fresno, he was Sampson’s main recruiter at OU. He was then apparently fired at Fresno for some of the same violations that Sampson had also committed at OU. Like Lamont Smith, he would be a former head coach with some past baggage if he ended up being brought in.

I agree that it is unlikely, but Billy G and Rodney Terry were both Assistant Coaches together at Baylor during 1996 and 1997, so they do know each other and they have worked together before.

I was surprised to see that Billy G will already be 60 this year. I didn’t realize he was that old.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
i hope we get this news soon... the suspense is killing me! ---- didnt we have some huge surprise before and then we were all like... really?? that was the surprise?

I agree that it is unlikely, but Billy G and Rodney Terry were both Assistant Coaches together at Baylor during 1996 and 1997, so they do know each other and they have worked together before.

I was surprised to see that Billy G will already be 60 this year. I didn’t realize he was that old.

Sad how time flies. It’s been 15 years since he was HC at UTEP. With that being said I think he understands he’s in a good spot at Ranger JC. Being a HC is stressful and he didn’t handle the pressure well as he moved up the ranks.

Burton was let go in order to make room for this new coach. Terry had no idea that Smith would be caught up in the admissions scandal when he let Burton go. Remember that Burton had been let go for a week before we heard about it. It really sucks to lose Burton and I know Terry would have kept him if he knew what was coming with Smith.

Burton was let go in order to make room for this new coach. Terry had no idea that Smith would be caught up in the admissions scandal when he let Burton go. Remember that Burton had been let go for a week before we heard about it. It really sucks to lose Burton and I know Terry would have kept him if he knew what was coming with Smith.
Talk is, he was let go only because of job performance. I don't know. He seemed like another good dude.

The Final Four is a good place to interview assistants.....all the coaches are there.

Also, if you are hiring a coach who might bring a player, you usually wait until signing date if the coach is not currently working. This allows him unlimited contact with said player since he's not bound by any rules.

Trying to guess who this assistant coach is. With what smallwood said this coach is from California and has California connections. So looking at Terrys twitter these are the assistant coaches he is following with Cali connections. I bet he is already following this assistant coach. Im not gonna go through all the people he is following,but these are some coaches that he is following.

Jason Hart USC assistant
Leonard Perry Jr Pacific assistant
Myron Epps Fresno Pacific assistant
Michael Wilder UC Irvine assistant
David Grace Cal assistant
Brandon Dunson Nevada assistant
Jay Morris SDSU assistant
Kimani Young UConn assistant and former utep player.

Im hoping its Jason Hart or David Grace.

Reactions: Minerinciter
z posted on Digs the idea/possibility of Leonard Perry, who is the associate head coach at the University of the Pacific and graduate transfer from UofP player Kendall Small might be coming to UTEP. I have no inside information to confirm this, but it does fit with the rumor I am hearing that CRT is brining in a coach with D1 coaching experience and that he will be bringing in a player with him.

Why not bring Bob Cantu back? He was head coach at USC and an assistant with pretty good recruiting ties if I remember correctly. He seemed to really enjoy El Paso.

I remember Kendal Small being recruited by CTF and he signed with Oregon....just like Artis.

Why not bring Bob Cantu back? He was head coach at USC and an assistant with pretty good recruiting ties if I remember correctly. He seemed to really enjoy El Paso.

He was the interim head coach at USC. His resume is very unremarkable and his two years at Portland have been terrible. They are by far the worst team in a very good conference. The entire staff will most likely be fired next year.

Well you guys are giving me doubt lol.... there is supposed to be a pretty transfer market this year I wouldn’t understand signing a below average player — according to those stats

Well you guys are giving me doubt lol.... there is supposed to be a pretty transfer market this year I wouldn’t understand signing a below average player — according to those stats
I don't think there's any Credence to that rumor.

Could Paulino be linked to former LSU player Bandon Rachal. Rachal has verbally committed to Tulsa, but with Tulsa losing two assistant coaches it is a possibility. I am just speculating but Rachal would be a big splash transfer. He was a 4* recruit that originally went to LSU but spent last year at Pearl River Community College, so he would be eligible to start next year.

Reactions: unihorn
Could Paulino be linked to former LSU player Bandon Rachal. Rachal has verbally committed to Tulsa, but with Tulsa losing two assistant coaches it is a possibility. I am just speculating but Rachal would be a big splash transfer. He was a 4* recruit that originally went to LSU but spent last year at Pearl River Community College, so he would be eligible to start next year.
I thought the same, but couldn't find any specific link between the two.

Problem is I think weneed a graduate transfer, not an underclassman (to leave a spot open for 2020 class). Plus we are pretty stacked at the 6'5 guard/SF position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT