ADVERTISEMENT

My Take

MinerMambo

Starter
Sep 19, 2001
For what it’s worth, after forty years of watching football and decades of being a season ticket holder, this is my take on things:

* Dimel and his staff deserve credit for upgrading the level of talent on the field. This team has talent at key positions with some depth. That combination at UTEP is rare.

* The defense is stout. The schemes are good and the tackling is as good as I have ever seen at UTEP. Hats off to the defensive coaching staff and the players. Coach Peveto is a keeper

* The punt returning and kick returning are terrible. Every single kick or punt should be fair caught unless it is a punt that looks like it will be inside the 10 - then let the ball go. Period. This is on Price and Dimel. I was shocked to read after the New Mexico game that Garrett was not studying the other teams punter in preparation for the upcoming games. That is on the coaching staff.

* The offensive playcalling is miserable. It is bland and predictable. This team leaves points on the table because of the play calling.

* The coaching is not crisp and disciplined. The first quarter flag for the illegal tight end down field that negated the long catch was nothing more than a blown formation where the tight end was not properly lined up. The unsportsmanlike conduct call on Prince that kept a S. Miss drive alive is nothing more than lack of discipline. This is not a one time thing- it regularly happens. These types of errors result and needlessly giving up points or not putting points up on the board.

* The attendance is a function of winning 7 games in the previous 5 years. The brand is bad and needs time to rehabilitate. Right now, only the diehards are supporting the team. If you want build up the general fanbase, you have to start winning. It will take the several years of good football to consistently get 25k plus in the Sun Bowl - the UTEP football brand in El Paso is that bad.

* Right now, UTEP is playing with a bunch two star players who are playing with five star hearts. They deserve better in game coaching. If we are going to have a chance against the likes of LaTech and UTSA, the coaching staff will have to open its play calling, eliminate special teams errors (I’m looking at you Price), and instill strict discipline with the team.

* I am elated that the team is 5 - 1. Hats off to Dimel, staff, and the players. But, as a fan, I want the team to meet its potential and compete for a conference championship. The talent is there to do it, I am not sure the coaching is…I hope I am proven wrong.

“The measure of a coach is what he does with what he has.” -Lombardi

For what it’s worth, after forty years of watching football and decades of being a season ticket holder, this is my take on things:

* Dimel and his staff deserve credit for upgrading the level of talent on the field. This team has talent at key positions with some depth. That combination at UTEP is rare.

* The defense is stout. The schemes are good and the tackling is as good as I have ever seen at UTEP. Hats off to the defensive coaching staff and the players. Coach Peveto is a keeper

* The punt returning and kick returning are terrible. Every single kick or punt should be fair caught unless it is a punt that looks like it will be inside the 10 - then let the ball go. Period. This is on Price and Dimel. I was shocked to read after the New Mexico game that Garrett was not studying the other teams punter in preparation for the upcoming games. That is on the coaching staff.

* The offensive playcalling is miserable. It is bland and predictable. This team leaves points on the table because of the play calling.

* The coaching is not crisp and disciplined. The first quarter flag for the illegal tight end down field that negated the long catch was nothing more than a blown formation where the tight end was not properly lined up. The unsportsmanlike conduct call on Prince that kept a S. Miss drive alive is nothing more than lack of discipline. This is not a one time thing- it regularly happens. These types of errors result and needlessly giving up points or not putting points up on the board.

* The attendance is a function of winning 7 games in the previous 5 years. The brand is bad and needs time to rehabilitate. Right now, only the diehards are supporting the team. If you want build up the general fanbase, you have to start winning. It will take the several years of good football to consistently get 25k plus in the Sun Bowl - the UTEP football brand in El Paso is that bad.

* Right now, UTEP is playing with a bunch two star players who are playing with five star hearts. They deserve better in game coaching. If we are going to have a chance against the likes of LaTech and UTSA, the coaching staff will have to open its play calling, eliminate special teams errors (I’m looking at you Price), and instill strict discipline with the team.

* I am elated that the team is 5 - 1. Hats off to Dimel, staff, and the players. But, as a fan, I want the team to meet its potential and compete for a conference championship. The talent is there to do it, I am not sure the coaching is…I hope I am proven wrong.

It’s maddening how many college teams run kickoffs out of the end zone only to be stopped way short of the 25.

I agree with most of what you said. My disagreement is in your statement that our defense is "stout." I think our defense has played well against the teams at our level but our D couldn't stop Boise State from hanging 50+ on us.

I said in another thread that "All we've proven is that instead of being the shittiest of the shitty, we're among the better of the shitty." IF -- ENORMOUS IF -- we beat La. Tech and UTSA I will go back to calling Coach Dana by his actual name of "Dimel" and drop the "s" in "Dismel." Beating La. Tech and UTSA will show that we've improved beyond simply being "among the better of the shitty."

I agree with most of what you said. My disagreement is in your statement that our defense is "stout." I think our defense has played well against the teams at our level but our D couldn't stop Boise State from hanging 50+ on us.

I said in another thread that "All we've proven is that instead of being the shittiest of the shitty, we're among the better of the shitty." IF -- ENORMOUS IF -- we beat La. Tech and UTSA I will go back to calling Coach Dana by his actual name of "Dimel" and drop the "s" in "Dismel." Beating La. Tech and UTSA will show that we've improved beyond simply being "among the better of the shitty."
That’s a high bar. I’d take winning one of those games.

Spot on. As much as we complain and say we need a flashy offense history has shown that it’s more important to have a good defense at UTEP. 1988, 2000, 2004-2005 and even 2014 had good defenses.

The offense is what it is. It seems like Hardison has fallen apart as games wear on and yesterday was no different.

That’s a high bar. I’d take winning one of those games.

Maybe, but the bar should be higher in year 4 of any coach's tenure. And I realize that I might be nikpicking on our defense but -- this is year 4 of Dismel ball.

Reactions: liebestraum

Great observations. Well said.

The offensive playcalling is a function of the limitations of Hardison. With this group of relievers its tempting to throw it 30 times a game. However, Hardison isn't accurate and has about a 50% completion percentage which is bad. This offense looks alot better when the qb can make plays with his legs. We certainly don't have that with Hardison. I've said all year I would like to see an expanded package for Brownholtz where we mix in rpo's with read option. The other issue with the offense is running back. At the beginning of the season it looked to be out deepest position. Now only Awatt is giving us production. Hankins looks slow. I wonder if put on too much weight in the off-season. He's definitely bulked up.

Dimel's ball control offense is a perfect match for this defense. The defense is getting better every week.

I think this schedule is really opening up. I have UNT and Rice as likely wins. I have La Tech and and UTSA as toss ups. I only have FAU and UAB as likely losses. FAU only because it's in the Eastern timezone.

Reactions: El Tio
Pretty shit take.

Either you give him credit or you don't. Don't play both sides of the fence.

UNM came in and ran a play every 5 seconds in a 'modern offense and had like 20 yards offense in the 2nd Half until their final drive.

The Miners were dominant for a half vs ODU and Dominated Southern Miss. Style points are overrated.

The defensive taken is actually really good, like top 50 good. The offensive has decent talent with two very good receivers and 2 capable RB's, but they play calling doesn't highlight that talent. However I can see this team winning 8 games and I'll take that

Our defense is ranked #16 in the nation. Did Price's offense ever rank that high? I'm an old school guy so I'll take a good d over a flashy offense. How many times did we use to complain if only our defense could get teams off the field?

We can add this to the list Wisconsin made of excuses why fans don't go to the games.

Edit: Just looked it up and the 04 team ranked #11. That was impressive 👏

Reactions: SAMINERGIRL
Our defense is ranked #16 in the nation. Did Price's offense ever rank that high? I'm an old school guy so I'll take a good d over a flashy offense. How many times did we use to complain if only our defense could get teams off the field?

We can add this to the list Wisconsin made of excuses why fans don't go to the games.

Edit: Just looked it up and the 04 team ranked #11. That was impressive 👏
His very first team had a great defense. I doubt they were top 16, but they were good. They shut down record-breaking Timmy Chang and the Flyin' Hawaiians.

Last edited:
I agree that we haven’t completely bought into Dimel. But, he has done what he promised to do so you can’t argue with the record. I think most of us are jaded because of the dismal history around UTEP football.

I agree that we haven’t completely bought into Dimel. But, he has done what he promised to do so you can’t argue with the record. I think most of us are jaded because of the dismal history around UTEP football.
After the last 2 games I've accepted this a bit more. I would even like to see his offense in the hands of a more capable QB and with a pass catching TE. Aside from that though I still cringe at the wasted plays and timeouts.

After the last 2 games I've accepted this a bit more. I would even like to see his offense in the hands of a more capable QB and with a pass catching TE. Aside from that though I still cringe at the wasted plays and timeouts.
I agree 100%. Hardison‘s numbers aren’t that good especially with his TD/INT ratio. I hope these backups are working hard because I see no reason why one of them can’t give him a run for his money in the spring. It seems like they’ve cut out the QB run plays which is good IMO but those wasted timeouts last week could have made the difference in the game and that’s on the coaching staff.

Reactions: FedupMiner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT