ADVERTISEMENT

Natalicio is Retiring!

Will have to beef up admission standards. 100% admissions needs to go. It’s asinine to try and project UTEP as a Tier 1 school when more than half the students are on remedial classes and are not prepared for college.

It was comical these last few months when parents on Facebook and Twitter were beaming with pride that their child got accepted into UTEP.

Will have to beef up admission standards. 100% admissions needs to go. It’s asinine to try and project UTEP as a Tier 1 school when more than half the students are on remedial classes and are not prepared for college.

That is a fair point. The whole reason why they added “Universities Studies” was to combat the low graduation rates at the university. And if I am not mistaken didn’t the education department come within a hair of losing their accreditation a couple of years back?

Reactions: EPTUTEP

Not sure about your stats, nor where you got them, but your premise is spot-on, jqminer. To reach Tier 1 status, UTEP cannot be a hotel, where you check in most any time you have the money for tuition.

It is a FACT that the acceptance rate is 100%.

I just checked NMSU’s and theirs is only 64%. I guess UTEP is still better academically though right? UTSA’s is 79%, but again UTEP is better. Even UTRGV’s is 80%. UTEP really is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to academics. Tier 1 baby!!!

Reactions: El Paso 1
Just because UTEP accepts everyone doesn't mean the education once you get there is poor.

When I attended UTEP, me and my friends who went to other Universities would hang out and do our work together sometimes during breaks and weekends. And I can say, pretty much everyone is reading the same books and doing the same assignments.

Additionally, a whole bunch of those 100% flunk out immediately because they're not ready for college.

That being said, I wish the University was a little more selective, like "if you need x amount of remedial courses, you cannot enroll at UTEP until you complete your remedial work at EPCC".

I didn’t say the education is “poor”. Just that you can’t say it’s typically “better” than those schools I mentioned.

Pretend you were in New York and didn’t know the difference between UTEP, NMSU, UTSA, and UTRGV, based on their acceptance rate, which would you venture to say is the worst? Assuming you’re not an idiot, you would probably say UTEP is the worst. Doesn’t mean they are. Perception is reality.

Just because UTEP accepts everyone doesn't mean the education once you get there is poor.

When I attended UTEP, me and my friends who went to other Universities would hang out and do our work together sometimes during breaks and weekends. And I can say, pretty much everyone is reading the same books and doing the same assignments.

Additionally, a whole bunch of those 100% flunk out immediately because they're not ready for college.

That being said, I wish the University was a little more selective, like "if you need x amount of remedial courses, you cannot enroll at UTEP until you complete your remedial work at EPCC".

My wife graduated from UTEP last year and it seems like the university makes a bigger effort to make sure that students graduate as opposed to 10-15 years ago which is a step in the right direction. She was always meeting with academic advisors, and they had to register her for the classes she needed so that she would be on track to graduate as soon as possible. I remember I met my academic advisor 2 times EVER when I attended UTEP in the early 2000’s and he just handed me a sheet of paper and said “take these classes.” I knew a lot of people who were misinformed as to what they needed to graduate and they took classes they didn’t need.

If UTEP does want to be considered a top tier school I think they need to up their admissions standards. I don’t know if you can have lax admissions standards and all the mess that entails while at the same time attracting big time academing grants as well as luring top tier professors.

My wife graduated from UTEP last year and it seems like the university makes a bigger effort to make sure that students graduate as opposed to 10-15 years ago which is a step in the right direction. She was always meeting with academic advisors, and they had to register her for the classes she needed so that she would be on track to graduate as soon as possible. I remember I met my academic advisor 2 times EVER when I attended UTEP in the early 2000’s and he just handed me a sheet of paper and said “take these classes.” I knew a lot of people who were misinformed as to what they needed to graduate and they took classes they didn’t need.

If UTEP does want to be considered a top tier school I think they need to up their admissions standards. I don’t know if you can have lax admissions standards and all the mess that entails while at the same time attracting big time academing grants as well as luring top tier professors.

You don't belong in college if you can't follow a degree plan.

You don't belong in college if you can't follow a degree plan.

People jacked it all up by never graduating but UTEP didn’t do too great of a job either and I am speaking from my experience.
When I went to freshman orientation in 2000 The individual running orientation told me that my academic advisor didn’t care to show up because there were only 3 people that whole orientation that were majoring in his field. So they helped me register for my first semester. That really speaks to the level they cared at that time. When I finally met my Academic Advisor after my first semester he just told me “when you’re done taking the your basics listed at the beginning of the course catalog I’ll give you a degree plan.” Nothing was planned out before hand and I got my degree plan when I was about to finish my sophomore year which looking back seems odd. It would have been nice to get that information a little earlier.

But I do remember a lot of people at the time getting misinformation from different academic advisors as to what courses they should be taking and people taking classes they didn’t need. But that’s why I’m saying they’re on top of the students more and when they get to junior and senior level courses the advisors have to register them nowadays.

I get what you’re saying that people should be more responsible but when they left it to the students less than half were graduating under 6 years and that looked bad on the university. And that was a big reason why they created Multidisciplinary studies. It pretty much was like “you’ve got enough hours? Screw it, here’s a degree.”

The same thing with student loans though. Nowadays students aren’t allowed to borrow as much as they want like back in the day. The university limits you and so you are given enough to cover tuition and books. I don’t know if anyone remember but you could borrow something crazy like 15,000 a year back in the day, and at any time. You just had to go online and fill out some forms. And with tuition being so cheap people were borrowing that money for stupid shit like trips for Spring Break and what not.

Last edited:
People jacked it all up by never graduating but UTEP didn’t do too great of a job either and I am speaking from my experience.
When I went to freshman orientation in 2000 The individual running orientation told me that my academic advisor didn’t care to show up because there were only 3 people that whole orientation that were majoring in his field. So they helped me register for my first semester. That really speaks to the level they cared at that time. When I finally met my Academic Advisor after my first semester he just told me “when you’re done taking the your basics listed at the beginning of the course catalog I’ll give you a degree plan.” Nothing was planned out before hand and I got my degree plan when I was about to finish my sophomore year which looking back seems odd. It would have been nice to get that information a little earlier.

But I do remember a lot of people at the time getting misinformation from different academic advisors as to what courses they should be taking and people taking classes they didn’t need. But that’s why I’m saying they’re on top of the students more and when they get to junior and senior level courses the advisors have to register them nowadays.

I get what you’re saying that people should be more responsible but when they left it to the students less than half were graduating under 6 years and that looked bad on the university. And that was a big reason why they created universities studies. It pretty much was like “you’ve got enough hours? Screw it, here’s a degree.”

The same thing with student loans though. Nowadays students aren’t allowed to borrow as much as they want like back in the day. The university limits you and so you are given enough to cover tuition and books. I don’t know if anyone remember but you could borrow something crazy like 15,000 a year back in the day, and at any time. You just had to go online and fill out some forms. And with tuition being so cheap people were borrowing that money for stupid shit like trips for Spring Break and what not.

I totally agree with you. I think overall at all Universities advisers aren't that good. This is why I looked at my degree plan and followed it and didn't put it in the hands of my adviser.

Wow, I didn't realize you could borrow that much back then! I then it's $5,500 a year now and if you want to borrow more you have to have a cosigner.

I totally agree with you. I think overall at all Universities advisers aren't that good. This is why I looked at my degree plan and followed it and didn't put it in the hands of my adviser.

Wow, I didn't realize you could borrow that much back then! I then it's $5,500 a year now and if you want to borrow more you have to have a cosigner.

I followed what little paperwork they gave me to a T and I graduated without getting screwed over. But I knew a couple of people who took courses they didn’t because of bad advisors.

I don’t remember the exact number you could borrow back then but it was way more than people needed. I may be completely off by saying it was 15,000 because I they only made us go to the lon seminar once as opposed to every year. I don’t remember what the Federal limits were back then but whatever they were no one was going to stop you from borrowing whatever/whenever. They gave you the paper with all the lenders and you just went online and borrowed what you wanted when you wanted. I didn’t end up with much debt because I only borrowed what I needed but I did take out a little more halfway during one semester and I bought a laptop and an iPod. And where is that stuff now? In a landfill somewhere. The laptop did help in college.... the iPod, not so much.

Last edited:
I went to Utep back in the late 70’s, met the advisor once for about five minutes.

I remembr getting a loan for summer session 1 my last year at UTEP. I didnt know I had to decline to get the loan for summer session 2. So i received a check for like 3k. That was in 2005. And i was only taking one class during the second session.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT