ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA to allow TWO games vs. FCS for bowl eligibility this season

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
If the Big 12 cancels all non-conference games, like the Big 10 and Pac 12 did, then UTEP would lose the Texas and Texas Tech games off its schedule.

If that happens, UTEP could replace both with FCS games and greatly increase its chances at the 6 wins needed for bowl eligibility. Normally, only one game vs. FCS can be used for bowl eligibility, but allowing two might be a big deal for UTEP and Dimel. If UTEP would win both of those FCS games and claw out a win vs. NMSU, then UTEP would be sitting at a 3-1 record after 4 games. This might be the best chance Dimel will ever have at taking UTEP to a bowl.

(UTEP doesn't have any FCS games on the schedule this season, so replacing both could replace two losses with two wins on the way to 6.)

Our version of NMSU playing two with Liberty!

Doubt we have the money, and no guarantee we'd win both games anyway. Though I honestly wouldn't hate the idea.

This team needs to taste early success/momentum. Kind of like the patsy schedule Billy played in 03/04. Wouldn't expect anywhere near the same results, obvi, but if we're not firing Dinel anyway...

I wonder if UTEP and NMSU will eventually end up doing a home and home this year? It would be the cheapest way for both schools to get an extra game. Add the 2 FCS schools and there is your full 4 game non-conference schedule and the people who want to see how we would perform if we dropped down a level, would essentially get a month long preview.

I just don't know what happens to the program financially, or if there would even be the incentive to reach a 12 game schedule, after we lose the money from the two Big 12 games?

I wonder if UTEP and NMSU will eventually end up doing a home and home this year? It would be the cheapest way for both schools to get an extra game. Add the 2 FCS schools and there is your full 4 game non-conference schedule and the people who want to see how we would perform if we dropped down a level, would essentially get a month long preview.

I just don't know what happens to the program financially, or if there would even be the incentive to reach a 12 game schedule, after we lose the money from the two Big 12 games?

There is no incentive to play these games with no fans or greatly reduced capacity. Why would UTEP pay UIW $50,000 or more if they’re not able to sell tickets to the game? Maybe they play NMSU twice, but who else would they pay to play here? None. Maybe they replace Tech and UT with BYU.

I find it hard to imagine that Tech will play here if they’re not going to have fans at their own games. There’s no point in sending them to El Paso and there’s really no upside for UTEP, as they can’t make money off them.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
At this point, I think the only way that non-conference games will get played this season is if they happen at the beginning of next year. Conference games at the end of this year and Then non-conference games in January. But then what happens to the bowl games in that scenario?

I heard Bernie from the Sun Bowl on Sports Talk last week and he sounded like he had his head in the sand, insisting that they are preparing for the Sun Bowl to happen normally as scheduled.

At this point, I think the only way that non-conference games will get played this season is if they happen at the beginning of next year. Conference games at the end of this year and Then non-conference games in January. But then what happens to the bowl games in that scenario?

I heard Bernie from the Sun Bowl on Sports Talk last week and he sounded like he had his head in the sand, insisting that they are preparing for the Sun Bowl to happen normally as scheduled.

Bowl games are dead. I don’t see any school sending their band and all that. Which means, less hotel rooms, less money for the city economy. Sun Bowl will likely not be played this year and it definitely won’t be played if the season is moved to the spring.

Bernie is paid to sell frijole chocolate brownies to customers and he's actually pretty good at it.

Most of you are just jealous.

Bernie is paid to sell frijole chocolate brownies to customers and he's actually pretty good at it.

Most of you are just jealous.

That’s a fair statement, as it’s an extremely easy job with no competition or expectations. What does he do from January to October? Most of his tickets are bought by the locals and teams fall into his lap. Meanwhile, the team selections get lower and lower on the totem pole. If there’s a job with higher pay with less work than his, let me know.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
That’s a fair statement, as it’s an extremely easy job with no competition or expectations. What does he do from January to October? Most of his tickets are bought by the locals and teams fall into his lap. Meanwhile, the team selections get lower and lower on the totem pole. If there’s a job with higher pay with less work than his, let me know.

It is an easy job, but it's not his full time job.

The thing with Tio Bernie is that the Sun Bowl has been leap-frogged by so many bowls.

The halftime shows were a great idea. I mean this dude brought Rihanna to the Sun Bowl. It’s been all downhill since Baby Bash was booed out the stadium to Cyclone!

The community knows all too-well the damage done by leaving someone in a position without producing positive results.

Which of the three has the best sinecure?
Not the coach, since he at least has to go through the motions of recruiting and overseeing practices and showing up on game day. He does all these things terribly, but he does them, so it's not a sinecure. I'll bet it's pretty stressful, actually.

Bernie's job most resembles a sinecure, but he did pull out all the stops to bring Notre Dame here that one year. He'll always have that.

Reactions: JCorona
If the AD called you and pitched wanting to buy two guaranteed wins, would you contribute $100 or more?
You know what, sure, I'd chip in $100. It would at least show that UTEP's trying to get to a bowl this year, which they haven't tried in years.

Reactions: JCorona
If the AD called you and pitched wanting to buy two guaranteed wins, would you contribute $100 or more?

No. Based on what I’ve seen versus NAU and HBU, I think the only teams he could guarantee wins over would be Tarleton St and Dixie State. I don’t think they even count as true FCS teams this year, since it’s their first year of transition.

Senter should pay to play an FCS team as long as they agree to throw the game.

No, it was tied 17-17 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Ryan Metz threw a 46 yard pass to go up 27-17 with about 5 minutes left in the game.

Remember, he thought UTEP was “dominating” Utah St in the NM Bowl in the first half. You know, the same half UTEP scored 3 points in and was losing at halftime. His memory is not too bueno.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT