ADVERTISEMENT

Needham

Dolphins got a LOT better as the season went on. They were the absolute worst team in football since I can remember the first few games.

Wow, that's how much I have tuned out of the NFL. A fellow Miner playing for my favorite team and I don't even know about it. Guess I finally have a favorite player on the team again!

Here's a hot take most of you might not agree with, Kugler actually recruited well during his tenure despite being ranked last in recruiting every year, his biggest and most daunting failure wasn't recruiting, his biggest downfall was player development. He could identify those "hidden gems" or "projects" with good size and all that, but could never develop most of his recruits.

Here's a hot take most of you might not agree with, Kugler actually recruited well during his tenure despite being ranked last in recruiting every year, his biggest and most daunting failure wasn't recruiting, his biggest downfall was player development. He could identify those "hidden gems" or "projects" with good size and all that, but could never develop most of his recruits.
Spot on Bigwood. Dimel's most productive players are Kugler running backs.

I might add Kugler ran poor offensive and defensive schemes and had little or no game adjustment. He would be in a game a quarter or two but once the other team made an adjustment it was game over.

Reactions: axingfools1
Problem with Kugler is he wanted to line up our guys and play old school smashmouth football. Problem with that strategy is you have to have some really good size and depth across the board, because you generally don't win those games by simply out-coaching the opposing team. You really have to rely on your talent to overwhelm the other team.

We got a few good players, but not enough to play that kind of football successfully... especially when we really were out-recruited in all but a few positions against nearly every team we played..

What are you smoking, bro? That's "almost" as bad as me saying we will win 7 next year.....
Kugler didn't recruit for SHIT! He TRIED to find hidden talent, but missed horribly. He sucked at EVERYTHING including his personal life. He left our program empty. ZERO talent here when he left. Period.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

I can see your point. He hit 2 All-Americans and a couple more NFL calibre players. The BIG issue was that everyone else he recruited he missed by a country mile. Every other kid minus the gems were either too small, too slow or too weak, or all of the above and this program is paying for it years later. Much like the 80s mediocrity was a product of the disastrous 70s we are in such a bad funk there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Kugler spent time on recruiting trips at special 'clubs'. He knew he could just fall back on EP.

Saying Kugler was a good recruiter because a couple guys were good is like saying Iran is a great Army because a couple missiles shattered some windows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT