ADVERTISEMENT

Nevada @ UTEP Game Day Thread

Kugler's problem was over recruiting in El Paso. I think Dimel is on the right track recruiting but his efforts might not show until another year or two.

I think Dimel has done a good job recruiting better talent to El Paso, and really the big Achilles heel this year is the QB position. I really hope the young guys are working hard because if one of them can move the ball effectively downfield and be aggressive but not turn the ball over I think they would have a very good shot of making a really good turnaround. When you think about it, who are The Miners losing that is irreplaceable? I think Hughes could be a big loss but if Wadley gets his medical redshirt he is gonna have Hankins and Fields backing him and you could probably argue that is an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: minerfan_14
Problem is Kugler recruited the worse in recent UTEP history and that's hard to do. I expected maybe 3 with this year and Nevada definitely wasn't one of em.
I remember on a thread a few months ago, that the coaching staff currently was amazed with how much money was left over to recruit with. So, much so, the "it's not much to recruit using gas to the east side"

I remember that about you. If I remember correctly, you also coach HS fb. I know you know your stuff. I don’t question that. I do wonder how we have arrived at such vastly different evaluations of this team. While perhaps a tad bit better than kugler’s final product, I just don’t see it being more than a negligible difference.

It’s the same old things. We can’t tackle. We can’t block. We shoot ourselves in the foot with costly penalties. We can’t protect our QB. We turn the ball over far too much. We can’t cover anyone downfield. We are undisciplined. We can’t get to the QB. We can’t catch the ball consistently. Our QB play ranks among the worst I’ve ever witnessed at this level.

We can run the ball. Same as Kugler ball. What am I missing?

I agree.

I think there is 'not enough information.'

I dont think the sample size of Dimel recruits is large enough to see if he is making headway.

Agree to charge $5 a ticket, but more important, invite the cheer squads (like the first game) to perform at halftime. That way their parents and the entire family attend to support them. That will increase attendance. Unfortunate, but true.
Yes, this is the time to try anything and everything to get butts in the seats. Future fans can be made and recruits can be impressed. As long as the team shows improvement this year, it should give us some hope for the future of the program.

Reactions: axingfools1
I see on twitter that Jones appears to be ok and will start vs USM. Dimel still saying Kai will also see action. Also looks like the jc from NMMI is getting reps and may play too. Apparently he has been a quick study and has done well picking up the offense.

I see on twitter that Jones appears to be ok and will start vs USM. Dimel still saying Kai will also see action. Also looks like the jc from NMMI is getting reps and may play too. Apparently he has been a quick study and has done well picking up the offense.

Also says Goodwin will get increased reps in practice. Sounds like Goodwin will be the man sooner rather than later.

If Goodwin wins the job next year and plays well then we should be off and running. If Goodwin is not ready or is unable to play (and Dimel can't find a substitute) then Dimel will likely be gone after 3 years. It's just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: minerfan_14
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT