ADVERTISEMENT

New Basketball Signee

Hopefully he's better than the lack of playing time and production suggests...
  1. Gonzalo Bedia Diaz.‏@gonzalobedia 3h3 hours ago

1. Eric says that: "I know I could play for one of the programs in the Power 5 conferences but UTEP is in a pretty good conference as well (C-USA) and our non-conference schedule next season is challenging with national power schools. We'll have a lot of exposure though"
  2. 1 reply 2 retweets 2 likes

3. Show this thread
Gonzalo Bedia Diaz.‏@gonzalobedia 3h3 hours ago

UTEP Miners will play in their non-conference schedule next season against Texas, New Mexico and Washington among others.

3:27 AM - 21 Nov 2018

v-JnFFP8_bigger.jpg
Gonzalo Bedia Diaz.‏@gonzalobedia 3h3 hours ago

After 7 games in Northwest Florida St, Eric has officially commit to UTEP Miners where Rodney Terry, the coach who recruited him to go to Fresno State is the head coach. In JuCo Eric is averaging so far 10.7p 4.9r 1.7a and 1.3b playing 25.5min per game.

1 reply 1 retweet 0 likes

1. As I see that a lot of #NCAA reporters/journalists think that Eric Vila decision is sad, I start this thread to explain you why this is happening, and you'll have a better view
  1. Eric was recruited by Texas A&M Assistant Coaches, Rick Stansbury & Kyle Keller, Billy Kennedy coaching staff. Vila gets to College Park and...both assistants leave the team: Stansbury to Western Kentucky and Keller to Stephen F. Austin
  2. Show this thread
  1. Suddenly, the 2 guys who convinced you to commit, dissapear when you arrive to the team. Season 16/17 was discute for Eric Vila in the Aggies as Coach Kennedy never gave consistent minutes. When the season ended, Vila decided to transfer and he committed to Fresno St
  1. Rodney Terry, Fresno St head coach, is the one who convinces Eric Vila to pick the Bulldogs. The spaniard spent season 17/18 season sat due to transfer rules. The feelings about 18/19 seasons were great though.
  1. Fresno St finishes the season early March, and Coach Rodney Terry leaves the Bulldogs and signs with UTEP. One again, the guy who recruited you, leaves just when it's time to play. So Eric Vila decides to decommit.
  2. 1 reply 0 retweets 1 like

3. Show this thread
  1. All hoops fans would like to see Eric Vila shining in a high-major. Of course, but the issue is that if Vila transfers again (he had a lot of universities who offered), he'd be sat again for the second year in a row due to transfer rules.
  2. 1 reply 0 retweets 1 like

3. Show this thread
  1. So today it was published that he'll be playing JuCo. He'll be playing for Northwest Florida State College, in Niceville. Smart decission as he is ready to play again, compete again, and he could not afford another season sat.

I appears we will play Texas and Washington. I hope we get a return game with Marquette next year too.

There are a number of videos of Eric Vila on Youtube from when he played for U18 Barcelona and U18 Spain. Assuming that his game hasn’t changed too much, then we are essentially getting a 6’11” guard who shoots more 3 point attempts than 2 point attempts. Not saying this is good or bad, just that this is what to expect. He also handled the half court point in some of his highlights as well, but was almost never in the post.

For what it’s worth, Deon Stroud is still listed on the roster located on the UTEP website.

Reactions: shyminer81
There are a number of videos of Eric Vila on Youtube from when he played for U18 Barcelona and U18 Spain. Assuming that his game hasn’t changed too much, then we are essentially getting a 6’11” guard who shoots more 3 point attempts than 2 point attempts. Not saying this is good or bad, just that this is what to expect. He also handled the half court point in some of his highlights as well, but was almost never in the post.

For what it’s worth, Deon Stroud is still listed on the roster located on the UTEP website.
Stroud will be here. One of our older guards will be gone IMO. There will be too many guards when Tarke and Stroud take over the SF position. Lathon may be more of a SF too, but otherwise 9 undergraduate guards/SF for 3 spots is too much. Expect one to leave and one or two to redshirt.

In no particular order
PG: Hawkins, McGee, Zarzulea
SG: Gilyard, Boum, Wenzel
SF: Tarke, Lathon, Stroud
PF: Williams, Verhoeven, Vila
C: Efe, Eze

Last edited:
Stroud will be here. One of our older guards will be gone IMO. There will be too many guards when Tarke and Stroud take over the SF position. Lathon may be more of a SF too, but otherwise 9 undergraduate guards/SF for 3 spots is too much. Expect one to leave and one or two to redshirt.

In no particular order
PG: Hawkins, McGee, Zarzulea
SG: Gilyard, Boum, Wenzel
SF: Tarke, Lathon, Stroud
PF: Williams, Verhoeven, Vila
C: Efe, Eze

I agree, however I think we’ll lose 2-3. Your position breakdown shows how we are 3 deep at almost every position. 3 DEEP! I just can’t imagine everyone listed will have the patience to earn what they feel they deserve in minutes. That’s not a bad problem to have, imo.

It is way too early to mention names so I won’t go there, but there are 2 that I already have a strong suspicion wont be here next year. And then, not infrequently, there’s that surprise departure, too.

I agree as well. I think it is possible that both incoming freshman could be redshirted. It will be tough for those guys to jump ahead of a more experienced player, and find meaningful playing time. It will also depend on how Hawkins develops at the point this year. Zarzuela could potentially get a look there.

I also think Eze could also be a potential redshirt candidate next year. Both Verhoeven and Vila, assuming they both bulk up a bit, could be used to defend the 5. Verhoeven's skills as a shot blocker should be exploited; having a guy like that makes the entire defense better. I would expect Williams to garner most of the minutes at the 4, next year. Tarke and Boum/Gilyard at the 3 and the 2, respectively. Overall, Terry should have tons of lineup options.

Last edited:
I recall viewing Hawkins and Lathon videos and thinking, " our prayers have been answered". Now they are a combined 8 for 41 overall and 1 for 16 from three. Hopefully they are just going through the Freshman jitters experience and will come around soon. My point is never know what you're gonna get untill you've got it.
Go Miners

Reactions: MINER.JAY
I should have been more specific I meant are any of our other transfers any good shooters??

Lathon will never be a good shooter until he fixes his jump shot... its an awful line drive....I think hawkins injured hisshooting hand...

I recall viewing Hawkins and Lathon videos and thinking, " our prayers have been answered". Now they are a combined 8 for 41 overall and 1 for 16 from three. Hopefully they are just going through the Freshman jitters experience and will come around soon. My point is never know what you're gonna get untill you've got it.
Go Miners

Our freshman look particularly bad because we don't have a lot talent and experience around them to take that pressure off. Tough to look good in this situation. They'll get better by conference though

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT