ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

A few names id get behind: Kyle Keller, Jerome Tang and Jason Hart. Thoughts?
I like the Kyle Keller one alot! The name I'm hearing that had great interest is former Miner and UConn Assistant Kimani Jones Young. My personal favs list is Keller, Golden, Tang, Gillespie, Jones, Foster.

Last edited:
Reactions: CCTexas13
All the names are good. Don't have a problem with anyone being mentioned.

The process is what I'm wanting done just right and there is one CUSA school who has a good record of hiring coaches and with one of the smallest budgets in CUSA and that's La Tech. They have become a rival over the years but they get quality for the little quantity they offer ("$400,000 base salary per year, that runs through March 2025";newstar.com).

Senter, just do what they do. This type of plagiarism in college is ok.

Reactions: utep-piggy
BG’s better days are behind him. We don’t need a coach that is getting close to his decline days. We need the opposite.
The timing is off. If Terry had lasted the next 3 years and if Billy had taken his team to the NCAAs or conference title then I could see it. At this moment there are better younger options.

The timing is off. If Terry had lasted the next 3 years and if Billy had taken his team to the NCAAs or conference title then I could see it. At this moment there are better younger options.
Yes, I reluctantly agree. I think BCG is probably too old at this point to make one last run. Without a doubt, he was the whole package as a coach.

That said, if I had to pick today, I would choose either Golding or Barbee. I was never a fan of TB as a bench coach, but I think he could still bring in great talent to EP, and put together a P5 level staff to augment deficiencies. I think he would have us competing again quickly.

Reactions: JCorona
I don't think Golding is leaving ACU for UTEP. ACU is his alma mater. They are renovating the arena. It will be ready next fall. Both are in a one bid league. UTEP is the harder job. I don't see him leaving.

Barbee is the home run hire. UTEP is a hard job. Barbee knows how to win here. He could be a competitive team very quickly. It's a no brainer to me.

I don't think Golding is leaving ACU for UTEP. ACU is his alma mater. They are renovating the arena. It will be ready next fall. Both are in a one bid league. UTEP is the harder job. I don't see him leaving.

Barbee is the home run hire. UTEP is a hard job. Barbee knows how to win here. He could be a competitive team very quickly. It's a no brainer to me.
Agree on Golding, but I think they will make a run at him.

Reactions: kickballpro
Golding interviewed for the Tech job and supposedly did very well and was super impressive according to sources. If he’s able to bring just one (possibly two) of the three assistants with him that were mentioned in the Tech interview, we could be in for a wild ride.

Seems there are only a couple of us on here who would be excited about either. Glad Bo is speaking up.
We have a guy that started the entire domino effect for Terry leaving and another that helped a Texas university win its first NC in 55 years and for some reason we rather chase a guy with no college experience and another with no HC experience. Seems dumb to me.

We have a guy that started the entire domino effect for Terry leaving and another that helped a Texas university win its first NC in 55 years and for some reason we rather chase a guy with no college experience and another with no HC experience. Seems dumb to me.
I’m not being critical of those who don’t want to give either a look. I was just observing and stating how few want that to happen.

I’m not being critical of those who don’t want to give either a look. I was just observing and stating how few want that to happen.
Maybe it's cuz hiring coaches with UTEP roots hasn’t gone that great lately.

Why does everyone want Gillespie? What has he done in the last 13 years that proves he can still get it done? He was the most UTEP Coach successful coach here after Haskins, then he was very successful at Texas A&M but sure wasn't a fit for Kentucky then he got a break and remember he had very serious health issues, but he's back at coaching.

"A source told KTSM that UTEP will make a big run at current Abilene Christian head coach Joe Golding as Terry’s replacement. Golding has led ACU to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments, and the Wildcats even defeated Texas in the first round in 2021.

He was rumored to be a candidate for the openings at Oklahoma and Texas Tech, before those programs went in a different direction.....Other possible candidates could include Baylor assistant coach Jerome Tang, South Alabama head coach Richie Riley, Cal Baptist head coach Rick Croy and former New Mexico State and UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies."

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/college-sports/utep/potential-successors-to-rodney-terry-at-utep/

Billy Gilliespie was the most successful UTEP Coach after Haskins, almost pulled on upset on Maryland in the NCAA. Then was very successful at Texas A&M, took them to the Sweet 16, then I think his big mistake was to go to Kentucky where he was not fit, but that happens. Then he took a break and later had very serious health issues. But he's now back at coaching and I'm pretty sure he can turn this thing around, maybe not in his second year but in three or four it would be a different story than what has been ever since Barbee left.

Billy Gilliespie was the most successful UTEP Coach after Haskins, almost pulled on upset on Maryland in the NCAA. Then was very successful at Texas A&M, took them to the Sweet 16, then I think his big mistake was to go to Kentucky where he was not fit, but that happens. Then he took a break and later had very serious health issues. But he's now back at coaching and I'm pretty sure he can turn this thing around, maybe not in his second year but in three or four it would be a different story than what has been ever since Barbee left.
Agree. The turnaround wouldn’t be as quick, but I think we’d see actual improvement from the beginning of the season to the end, and year to year.

One thing I’m encouraged about are the plethora of what I would consider quality names that have been mentioned as possible candidates and hopefuls.

Yes, I reluctantly agree. I think BCG is probably too old at this point to make one last run. Without a doubt, he was the whole package as a coach.

That said, if I had to pick today, I would choose either Golding or Barbee. I was never a fan of TB as a bench coach, but I think he could still bring in great talent to EP, and put together a P5 level staff to augment deficiencies. I think he would have us competing again quickly.

I'm not advocating strongly for BCG. I'm just not opposed to him getting an interview and potentially getting the job. I don't see why he shouldn't get a 2nd chance. My good Mother Earth knows I'm thankful to have received 2nd and 3rd chances in my life.

My posts in another thread may seem as if I'm all for BCG as my #1 - he's not. I'm just bothered a bit by some of the shade directed at him. He's human. And from what I can tell, he's a good guy who's had to fight internal demons.

I don't know enough about the other coaches being mentioned other than they've had recent success (SFA and ACU guys) to make anyone my "#1 guy." I'm just glad there are candidates out there that appear to be a good field from which to select.

Don Haskins was in better health than Billy G at his age. He had one good season at UTEP, 3 at Tech, got fired from Kentucky and bombed at Tech. If he was a ex girlfriend he’d be 17 years older than when you dated and fatter with 2 kids from 2 baby daddy’s working at a dead end job. Meanwhile some of you guys are looking at him with hearts in your eyes thinking she’s still the same hot twenty something year old from back in the day. Get over it people.

He hasn't made the ncaa tournament in 13+ years. Has never won more than 2 games in the NCAAT. His time is done. Let him prove himself again. If he can, by then he's simply too old.

the statement released by Senter also didn't give me much confidence. why do they have to use a "national search firm" ? isn't that how we ended up with Dimel? throwing money at some consultants seems like a waste. this isn't that hard guys. why do we pay him then?

Last edited:
He hasn't made the ncaa tournament in 13+ years. Has never won more than 2 games in the NCAAT. His time is done. Let him prove himself again. If he can, by then he's simply too old.
If we’re going on recent success you could argue Tim Floyd has a better argument to be named the next UTEP basketball coach. Since 2010 Floyd won 58% of his games and made 2 NITs and a CBI. Billy G. went 8-23 at Tech, had his program at Ranger College placed on probation for using an ineligible player, and went 10-10 at Tarleton St. Not exactly a glowing resume.

I would be happy with Kamani Jones Young. From what I have read, good coach and great with the players. Stop having half the team leave every year.
I think Foster is capable of getting recruits and has been an assistant long enough to know how to run a game. But can he a program. Wouldn’t mind finding out.
I do like the list Utep put out except for Menzies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT