ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

"Golding expected to leave ACU for new coaching job at UTEP

APRIL 13, 2021 BY OWEN SIMPSON
pinterest sharing button

email sharing button

Head coach Joe Golding is expected to leave ACU for a new head coach position at UTEP.
Golding was ACU’s head coach for 10 seasons and led the team during its transition to Div. I. After his first seven seasons as head coach, his combined record was 87-121.
However, the last three seasons, Golding and the Wildcats were a combined 71-23, capturing two consecutive Southland Conference Tournament championships and the program’s first NCAA Tournament victory in March.
UTEP is coming off a 12-12 season and lost in the First Round of the Conference USA Tournament.
The Miners won the NCAA Div. I Tournament in 1966 as Texas Western against Kentucky. They have appeared in 17 NCAA Tournaments. Their last appearance was in 2010.
In a tweet from senior guard Reggie Miller, he said that all current players will not be involved in team workouts until associate head coach Brette Tanner is offered the new head coaching position.
“Me and my teammates have come to an agreement to not participate in workouts until [Tanner] is offered the head coaching job,” Miller said on social media.
Tanner has been with ACU’s program for eight years.
This is a developing story."

The difference with Floyd, he was experienced...but he had baggage and was already older. This guy is still young, and is prime. Especially if he wants a p5 job. Of course he could fail as well. This feels different, the stars are lining up nicely for UTEP athletics...If Dimel doesn’t win this season, he is probably gone. If he wins, then hopefully it’s the start of something good. Still feel like Floyd felt obligated, but his heart was not truly in it...

The difference with Floyd, he was experienced...but he had baggage and was already older. This guy is still young, and is prime. Especially if he wants a p5 job. Of course he could fail as well. This feels different, the stars are lining up nicely for UTEP athletics...If Dimel doesn’t win this season, he is probably gone. If he wins, then hopefully it’s the start of something good. Still feel like Floyd felt obligated, but his heart was not truly in it...
In retrospect, I think Floyd came in too arrogant. He had a chip on his shoulder after being scapegoated at USC, and was more about proving himself than building the program. After the Isaac Hamilton fiasco, things fell apart.

I agree that Golding brings a more positive and enthusiastic vibe. Loved watching his post-tournament presser. I think El Paso will quickly fall in love with him. I'm pumped!

Extremely happy with who we landed as our next head coach.

The only thing I regret, in not getting Tang, we won’t be able to refer his squad as the U-Tang Clan.

#ABetterTomorrow
#BringDaRuckus
#Gold
#Triumph
#Visionz
#ProtectYaNeck

Personal requests for folks who haven’t been around in a bit: 1. Realm 2. Eddie (used to run it before MI) 3. Kyyote, hell might freeze over on that one though. 4. The Nun. 5. The Miners is masters guy. Though he probably never used forums lol
Realm posts here still.

Extremely happy with who we landed as our next head coach.

The only thing I regret, in not getting Tang, we won’t be able to refer his squad as the U-Tang Clan.

#ABetterTomorrow
#BringDaRuckus
#Gold
#Triumph
#Visionz
#ProtectYaNeck

This will be our #GoldenEra
Looks like we got a call sign for one of the private birds UTEP uses.

This will come in handy when we’re speculating who the next FB coach is!
Ed Anderson, Diversified Interiors, graciously let Senter use his plane to pick up the coach. A great supporter of UTEP athletics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT