ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

He has to work for that. Terry just had to show up to work.
Nope

“Jans’ restructured contract takes effect April 14, 2021 and features the same $290,000 base salary as he was paid in the 2020-21 season. His retention bonus, however, increases from $216,000 to $294,000, meaning that for each year he remains with the Aggies, he’ll get a near-$300,000 bonus. With the retention bonus, Jans makes a yearly sum of $584,000, not including incentive bonuses.”

Reactions: JCorona
He doesn’t make $290,000 though. He had been getting $506,000 and with this new contract he will get $584,000. Not Terry money, but a lot more than the $290,000 thrown out there.
I’m not the one who mentioned the $$$ aspect of it. Just that he applied for their biggest rivals’ hc position.

Now, the money difference has got to be the most forgivable thing about him applying.

Anyway, my point was moot. They took him back with open arms and then some.

Oh by the way Jim Senter is totally a Digs stalker lol

Yeah he is. He basically said he is the 'sports information department' and everyone on here with the 'scoop' is full of shit.

And I honestly believe, some of the 'Insiders' on Twitter were reading post on here for their info. Like the Alex Nicholas Tweet was posted as fact that Tang was out and then the Doc Sadler stories. I'm actually curious if anyone thinks I was serious.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Of course they check this site. Some have been forthright, others not so much. Price was a follower prior to hiring and a little after and even referenced it during his early years. Stull made innuendo years ago that it it drove him nuts. Muench did a write up on this site years back when he was still on the sports side. A UTEP staff member broke the McFarland story on here months before it became officially public a few years back.

Behind the scenes over the past years I've been asked to post favorable stuff on here (never by UTEP staff) and I have also been labeled a betrayer by local media, someone who was "misunderstood" on one hand and a "Nazi" during my very brief moderator days (which I admit I totally, totally mishandled) and "Let's do dinner to talk" by some very, very close to big UTEP booster(s). One local former detective that had seen a local story posted on here many moons ago wanted to take me behind the woodshed because he was a regular on here at the time and a story was posted in this site and all I said in a post was "I know that guy". He felt I compromised him despite his face on the front page. A big west coast UTEP booster once told me to, diplomatically speaking, to go jump off a cliff basically. Then on the other hand, I have met some of the most sincere posters/UTEP fans on here who just want too see UTEP succeed. They all want UTEP to succeed, but it's been sputter and tumble with very brief euphoria when UTEP does make it to the "post season" and that's my point.

UTEP fans have a notorious habit of forming a circle with live ammo, our words and I am guilty as charged as well. Most recent years speaking, I was confused during Nord years, he had great players. WTF'ing during Rab. Heart broken by Price. BG euphoria was a feeling like I read about from '66 fans at the time. "Darn you!" During Sadler. Barbee bravado was "now this cat is different" with Caracter whipping on OU and delivering a crown was total hard on. Shaking my fist during Kugler (but Jones brothers calmed me dawn because they were that special of athletes). Floyd was a dagger to the heart; he's family. Dimel was a head scratcher when made CEO as you saw that nice loving uncle mess up the family business. Terry gave me the "Yeah, she's dancing with me" feeling when he left Fresno only to discover your just an ugly Friday night meme on Instagram.

Yeah, this site is read by one and all in UTEP Fandom, even a member from a former popular rock band used to post on here. But we just all want UTEP to compete. We know we're a stopping off point, or final destination for some. We just want to see the Miners win.

Last edited:
I can't believe that this thread has over 1,000 replies. Digs hasn't been this active in quite a while. I think it shows just how hungry we are for a winning basketball program after the desert we've been wandering for the past decade...
I think a lot of us are starving. Hell, I remember breaking down McNeese St. beyond scientific when we were playing them in the NIT over some bad appetizers at Village Inn with my best friend years ago. We all miss being relevant into March, especially if you grew up in the 80's when I thought the WAC championship and NCAA Tourney was a damn birthright.

Yeah he is. He basically said he is the 'sports information department' and everyone on here with the 'scoop' is full of shit.

And I honestly believe, some of the 'Insiders' on Twitter were reading post on here for their info. Like the Alex Nicholas Tweet was posted as fact that Tang was out and then the Doc Sadler stories. I'm actually curious if anyone thinks I was serious.

I wouldnt beleive anything that comes out of Senter's mouth, ever. After the press conference, I got another call from a big donor (not Hunt or Foster but close) and he said "I guess Senter didn't want the big check" he told me that the Haskins Center was going to get gutted completely if Senter would have listened and hired Doc.

Personally, I am glad we hired Golding. His press conference really got me excited for the future of this program. Also, I don't think the Haskins center is that bad. Maybe some new shitters and concessions would be nice.

I wouldnt beleive anything that comes out of Senter's mouth, ever. After the press conference, I got another call from a big donor (not Hunt or Foster but close) and he said "I guess Senter didn't want the big check" he told me that the Haskins Center was going to get gutted completely if Senter would have listened and hired Doc.

Personally, I am glad we hired Golding. His press conference really got me excited for the future of this program. Also, I don't think the Haskins center is that bad. Maybe some new shitters and concessions would be nice.
If the big donors are really that effing stupid then UTEP will have to rely on Golding ceating a team that will sell lots of tickets, make it to the big dance and create a lot of new small to medium donors. Screw em if they think so small.

Gutted as in completely torn down so they can build the downtown arena and have UTEP as the tenant?

That makes zero sense. If the boosters like Doc a lot, I can understand that. However, it’s not like bringing him in would have been a big deal. He’s an assistant and not wanted by anyone else. It’s not like Golding has Rick Pitino, Gregg Marshall type controversies following him. And it’s not like Doc is Rick Pitino or Gregg Marshall.

It just sounds implausible for some boosters to cut a big check to hire Doc Sadler.

Reactions: mineralum94

Have you asked the big donor what the fascination with Doc is? Is it simply a personality thing...that they like him? Because they surely can't think he was the best hire for basketball purposes.

One thing people forget is that Doc is a juco recruiter, a fairly good juco recruiter. I have hunch they were trying a Houston big money donor(s) "if you build it...blah, blah, blah". I dunno? New digs didn't help Fresno. Some Texas fans feel their pad didn't really bring the desired results as well. Let's not forget UNM. They did theirs a few years ago and really nothing.

One thing people forget is that Doc is a juco recruiter, a fairly good juco recruiter. I have hunch they were trying a Houston big money donor(s) "if you build it...blah, blah, blah". I dunno? New digs didn't help Fresno. Some Texas fans feel their pad didn't really bring the desired results as well. Let's not forget UNM. They did theirs a few years ago and really nothing.
Huh? Fresno St hasn't had any recent renovations. Texas new arena hasn't opened yet but have you seen the coach and recruits they're pulling in? UNM experienced good success after the renovations of 2010. Weren't they a #3 seed at one point?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Again, if there are big donors that want to give money to UTEP then go ahead....donors can even designate what the money can be used for (other than hires).

If a donor is trying to 'pull strings' on hires, then that's not really donating now is it?

Tell your buddies, if Golding brings Sadler as an assistant. Will they atleast upgrade those shitty lights in the DHC? Lol I’m all in for donating a few bucks to do so... how much do they cost? Can we buy them from Chi-Na... lol

If this is true I’m glad Senter didn’t let these boosters control him into making a controversial hire for the sake of their egos. GOOD JOB SENTER! DAMN GOOD JOB!

That makes zero sense. If the boosters like Doc a lot, I can understand that. However, it’s not like bringing him in would have been a big deal. He’s an assistant and not wanted by anyone else. It’s not like Golding has Rick Pitino, Gregg Marshall type controversies following him. And it’s not like Doc is Rick Pitino or Gregg Marshall.

It just sounds implausible for some boosters to cut a big check to hire Doc Sadler.
Yep. It's not like he's the second coming of Don Haskins. I just don't get this idea that some "big boosters" are obsessed or were with hiring Doc.

Huh? Fresno St hasn't had any recent renovations. Texas new arena hasn't opened yet but have you seen the coach and recruits they're pulling in? UNM experienced good success after the renovations of 2010. Weren't they a #3 seed at one point?
FSU http://www.fresnostate.edu/adminserv/masterplan/recommendations/athletics.html

Texas measures by # of stars and throwing money pouring concrete and erecting steel beams everywhere to stay one step ahead. Yes Corona, I am aware of the coaches. The article below does point at recruits they have pulled in. But they have always pulled in good recruits and paid above market price. I think that is a bit crazy. Don't get me wrong, I loosely follow Texas and married to UT alum. Commit to this facility, commit to that facility. Look, just rebuild the Library of Alexandria and call it good. https://247sports.com/college/texas...ve-Sarkisian-Chris-Beard-UT-sports-163846500/

I'm too tired to discuss UNM. I don't even know why I brought them up.

I agree.....So I found out Romano was right in his reporting after I wrongfully trashed him on that report......

Think about this, the Fosters and Hunt want a downtown arena, THEY ARE MOUNTAIN STAR SPORTS GROUP, and maybe want UTEP hoops as a main tenet maybe they don't, why would they upgrade the Don to avoid their big downtown arena plan of maybe having UTEP as a tenet or play some marquee games (what are marquee games though besides the Aggies)? Maybe they offered something small, a loan, idk, but def not gonna fund a total rebuild or reshape of the DHC after I have thought it through and spoke with some folks in the know.

I agree.....So I found out Romano was right in his reporting after I wrongfully trashed him on that report......

Think about this, the Fosters and Hunt want a downtown arena, THEY ARE MOUNTAIN STAR SPORTS GROUP, and maybe want UTEP hoops as a main tenet maybe they don't, why would they upgrade the Don to avoid their big downtown arena plan of maybe having UTEP as a tenet or play some marquee games (what are marquee games though besides the Aggies)? Maybe they offered something small, a loan, idk, but def not gonna fund a total rebuild or reshape of the DHC after I have thought it through and spoke with some folks in the know.
I'm not sure what you mean here Bigwood. Mountain Star wouldn't be a part of the downtown arena would they? And what would all this rumor have to do with Sadler being picked as coach? Just curious.

I'm not sure what you mean here Bigwood. Mountain Star wouldn't be a part of the downtown arena would they? And what would all this rumor have to do with Sadler being picked as coach? Just curious.
they would Mt. Star is the one pushing for the arena, the whole pick Sadler and we will renovate the Don doesn't make sense if you really think about it since the donors who were "supposedly" behind Sadler are also trying get a downtown arena built.

Why put money into a competing venue when you are trying to bring a bigger/state of the art arena to get all concerts and events UTEP is currently getting in the Don right now. The rumor just doesn't make dollars and sense when you really dive into what Mountain Star Sports/Hunt/Foster are trying to do with Downtown.

they would Mt. Star is the one pushing for the arena, the whole pick Sadler and we will renovate the Don doesn't make sense if you really think about it since the donors who were "supposedly" behind Sadler are also trying get a downtown arena built.

Why put money into a competing venue when you are trying to bring a bigger/state of the art arena to get all concerts and events UTEP is currently getting in the Don right now. The rumor just doesn't make dollars and sense when you really dive into what Mountain Star Sports/Hunt/Foster are trying to do with Downtown.
Yes I agree with what you are saying. Doesn't make sense at all.

Regarding the arena, I assume Mountainstar is pushing it because of the owner's business side with hotels, etc. Not team sports related correct?

Doubt they actually have a vested interest in the actual arena building itself. But they own almost every building downtown. A downtown arena with a tennent is going to give them big time residual profits

Yes I agree with what you are saying. Doesn't make sense at all.

Regarding the arena, I assume Mountainstar is pushing it because of the owner's business side with hotels, etc. Not team sports related correct?
yeah I would think so too, I don't they are waking up everyday dreaming about putting a G-league or regional arena football/soccer team in there, but if they can get NMSU-UTEP, the Sun Carnival Tourney, and a CUSA TV game like on CBSN or two I think that would be a huge plus for them. I think you are right though they are looking for more entertainment dollars to boost that business side, just my opinion no expert on this by no means.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT