ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP coach is...

I dont think the G-league even makes money in general. I would go watch them occasionally if a team were here.
Same, but this is what we’re hoping will come in as an “anchor tenant”. Really? We’re building an arena for this?

El Paso is extremely lucky it hasn’t been or built or near completion as of last March. Would just be a money drain.

Same, but this is what we’re hoping will come in as an “anchor tenant”. Really? We’re building an arena for this?

El Paso is extremely lucky it hasn’t been or built or near completion as of last March. Would just be a money drain.
I agree and I would hope not man, IMO the anchor main tenant's should be concerts, all sorts of large regional conventions, and other stuff that people will actually go downtown to and spend bread, EP isn't a big sports town like some like to claim, its an event town. would be cool to have a G-league team for us sports die hards, but unless you got mad events lined up that will draw parking money, concession money, other entertainment money bars/restaurants stuff like that then I think it would be a money drain especially for minor league sports only or just banking on a sports team to pay the bills. I don't think fans will be lined up for tickets to see the EP 69ers versus Rio Grande City Vipers G-league matchup lol

I agree and I would hope not man, IMO the anchor main tenant's should be concerts, all sorts of large regional conventions, and other stuff that people will actually go downtown to and spend bread, EP isn't a big sports town like some like to claim, its an event town. would be cool to have a G-league team for us sports die hards, but unless you got mad events lined up that will draw parking money, concession money, other entertainment money bars/restaurants stuff like that then I think it would be a money drain especially for minor league sports only or just banking on a sports team to pay the bills. I don't think fans will be lined up for tickets to see the EP 69ers versus Rio Grande City Vipers G-league matchup lol
Exactly. How many times can you have a boxing, wrestling card each year? Twice each maybe? And that’s IF - UTEP doesn’t bid for the same event at the DHC.

Not to mention, the longer the process drags out, the shittier the arena will be. It’s on it’s way to becoming a 2025 version of the Coliseum.

Exactly. How many times can you have a boxing, wrestling card each year? Twice each maybe? And that’s IF - UTEP doesn’t bid for the same event at the DHC.

Not to mention, the longer the process drags out, the shittier the arena will be. It’s on it’s way to becoming a 2025 version of the Coliseum.
They’re going to have to pass another bond to cover the costs. That on top of the tax increases this year is just too much.

They’re going to have to pass another bond to cover the costs. That on top of the tax increases this year is just too much.
Yuup, if we have to re-vote on it, 100% getting voted down. I voted for it the first time, but I have no confidence the city can complete it in a timely fashion. Add in the extra taxes, **** that.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Yuup, if we have to re-vote on it, 100% getting voted down. I voted for it the first time, but I have no confidence the city can complete it in a timely fashion. Add in the extra taxes, **** that.
I’m not voting for it either but I have a feeling it could pass because I’m sure people want it because they feel it would bring money to the city and I’m sure a lot of people would just see the Bond on the ballot and just say “sure, why not?”

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Yes I agree with what you are saying. Doesn't make sense at all.

Regarding the arena, I assume Mountainstar is pushing it because of the owner's business side with hotels, etc. Not team sports related correct?

You are correct. It benefits real estate holdings in the area including hotels.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Don’t look at Barbee’s record at CMU then…
I just had to look. LOL

I "think" Barbee did very well here by using his recruiting connections while at Memphis (grab the leftovers) and propelled us forward. He never had a winning record at Auburn, nor has he had a winning record at Central Michigan. (They are currently 5-8 and dead last in the mid american)
We got lucky with him here, and the fact he was taken away. Win, win.

Reactions: minerfan_14
You sure about that? I don’t. Barbee left and then Moultrie did. Barbee would have had a loaded team coming back. We hired Floyd and made the CUSA Tournament final. Had Barbee and Moultrie stayed, we probably make the 2011 NCAA Tournament.

Had Barbee stayed, his career is totally different. Instead, we’re on our way to 14 years without a NCAA appearance. Floyd came in and ruined UTEP basketball.

You sure about that? I don’t. Barbee left and then Moultrie did. Barbee would have had a loaded team coming back. We hired Floyd and made the CUSA Tournament final. Had Barbee and Moultrie stayed, we probably make the 2011 NCAA Tournament.

Had Barbee stayed, his career is totally different. Instead, we’re on our way to 14 years without a NCAA appearance. Floyd came in and ruined UTEP basketball.
Really I think the blame lies on Stull and the influential boosters, for keeping Floyd too long. I thought CTF was a great hire when it happened. I was one of the early birds to think he had already peaked 3 years in, though, and was ready for him to go at that point.

I just had to look. LOL

I "think" Barbee did very well here by using his recruiting connections while at Memphis (grab the leftovers) and propelled us forward. He never had a winning record at Auburn, nor has he had a winning record at Central Michigan. (They are currently 5-8 and dead last in the mid american)
More like lose lose.

As you mentioned, his career has gone down hill since he left UTEP. Us? We haven’t done shit since he left. Can’t even make a run in the shitty cbi. We’ve been cursed since his departure.

I wouldn't say he "ruined" UTEP basketball. He was 2 or 3rd place in 4/7 years and had a .582 winning percentage.
Thanks. That is some perspective. I never would’ve remembered or thought that.

I remember loving the hire, and I also remember him losing to, I believe Angelo State. That was when I had the realization it wasn’t going to get much better. And it didn’t.

Thanks. That is some perspective. I never would’ve remembered or thought that.

I remember loving the hire, and I also remember him losing to, I believe Angelo State. That was when I had the realization it wasn’t going to get much better. And it didn’t.
Floyd said he was “bringing back the 80s”. He didn’t say he was bringing back 2nd or 3rd place 4 out of 7 years. He made 2 NITs. Nobody cares or remembers those 2nd or 3rd place finishes.

He quit in year 8, wasting a season. He didn’t give UTEP a “discount” to coach here either. At least Bronzeing won’t be here 8 years, nor did he promise to “bring back the 80s”.

Tim Floyd sucks and set the program back more than Bronzeing ever could.

Floyd said he was “bringing back the 80s”. He didn’t say he was bringing back 2nd or 3rd place 4 out of 7 years. He made 2 NITs. Nobody cares or remembers those 2nd or 3rd place finishes.

He quit in year 8, wasting a season. He didn’t give UTEP a “discount” to coach here either. At least Bronzeing won’t be here 8 years, nor did he promise to “bring back the 80s”.

Tim Floyd sucks and set the program back more than Bronzeing ever could.

Floyd didn't "ruin" UTEP basketball. If you think a coach "sucks" by going 138-99 and finishing at least 3rd place in 4/7 years, than I don't know what to tell you. I don't understand how you can say Golding is a better coach than Floyd.

Floyd didn't "ruin" UTEP basketball. If you think a coach "sucks" by going 138-99 and finishing at least 3rd place in 4/7 years, than I don't know what to tell you. I don't understand how you can say Golding is a better coach than Floyd.
Did Floyd meet your expectations? If not, he sucked. Pretty simple.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I just had to look. LOL

Much like Golding, Barbee is a program builder and not a good fit for today's transfer portal, NIL world. It took Barbee awhile to build his team

Much like Golding, Barbee is a program builder and not a good fit for today's transfer portal, NIL world. It took Barbee awhile to build his team
Barbee brought in some pretty damn good transfers in Williams, Polk and Caracter. I agree with NoWins here. I think if he had stayed at UTEP things would be different for Barbee and our program. That was way before the same year transfer/NIL stuff.

Bottom line though is we blew the chance at getting Jerome Tang. We would likely be in a much better position.

Barbee brought in some pretty damn good transfers in Williams, Polk and Caracter. I agree with NoWins here. I think if he had stayed at UTEP things would be different for Barbee and our program. That was way before the same year transfer/NIL stuff.

Bottom line though is we blew the chance at getting Jerome Tang. We would likely be in a much better position.
Agree with the Barbee ideology.

I see this assertion that we had a chance at Tang with a fair amount of regularity on this forum. I never saw any proof of this. Ever. Did I miss something that others saw or read?

My own understanding was that much like someone seeking a new career opportunity applies for multiple positions as backup, he did the same. Him landing the position here never really gained the kind of traction as that of a serious potential candidate…other than posters on here that had high hopes. I think he was very aware about the upcoming KSU vacancy, that he ended up taking and that was always his priority. Maybe I did miss something???

Really I think the blame lies on Stull and the influential boosters, for keeping Floyd too long. I thought CTF was a great hire when it happened. I was one of the early birds to think he had already peaked 3 years in, though, and was ready for him to go at that point.
ESPN was all over this and questioning his recruiting methods. I remember yelling “ohhhhh, shut up!!” at my car radio one work day morning as they were skewering Floyd hire a couple days prior.

No one was right, no one was wrong. Floyd brought high risk players who never made it to opening day tip off. One recruit stormed out of the DHC after a few games in, never to return. Floyd knew the underground recruiting pipeline (ironically created by Catholic priests back east decades ago with good intentions but a “road to perdition” as the saying goes as it became a for profit scheme) and many recruits came and took the next flight out. Getting into a public spat with a players dad and mom is bad karma; it never ends well.

Agree with the Barbee ideology.

I see this assertion that we had a chance at Tang with a fair amount of regularity on this forum. I never saw any proof of this. Ever. Did I miss something that others saw or read?

My own understanding was that much like someone seeking a new career opportunity applies for multiple positions as backup, he did the same. Him landing the position here never really gained the kind of traction as that of a serious potential candidate…other than posters on here that had high hopes. I think he was very aware about the upcoming KSU vacancy, that he ended up taking and that was always his priority. Maybe I did miss something???
It’s been noted that he interviewed for the job. Nobody is denying he interviewed. Whether or not, he was passed up or that he declined the job is anyone’s guess.

I would imagine that if the pay wasn’t to his liking he would have never been interviewed. Fair to say, Senter probably picked Bronzeing over him.

It’s been noted that he interviewed for the job. Nobody is denying he interviewed. Whether or not, he was passed up or that he declined the job is anyone’s guess.

I would imagine that if the pay wasn’t to his liking he would have never been interviewed. Fair to say, Senter probably picked Bronzeing over him.
Senter hired Fool’s Golding because it was the cheaper option over an experienced candidate. Same with Walden. Same with Keitha.

I don't see Senter hiring Young with his background.

Apologies for asking (I don't research potential hires or keep up with what former players have done since their playing days) but what's in Young's background that would be concerning?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT