ADVERTISEMENT

Next UTEP Men's Basketball Head Coach Prediction Thread

If it’s true he wants the job, Senter shouldn’t think twice about it. He should me here, Monday.

I think Senter tries to redeem himself and signs Sean Miller.

Not that I would hate that hire but just have a feeling Senter goes big this time. At least in his mind.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I dont know why but I dont want Jans. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't feel right.

I'm good with Barbee, Tang or Golding. I wouldn't mind Foster either
Yep, pretty high slime factor with Jans, and I am not just talking about the video that got him fired from BGSU.

Prediction thread, fellas. Make a prediction. Like guessing the score of our next loss. Make a prediction.

I want Barbee and I would be very happy with Golding.

Unfortunately my prediction is that Senter will hire Menzies. He fits into his criteria and older coach who won't leave. (because he has no options) I think this would be a disastourous hire but unfortunately he checks all Senter's boxes. Until Senter proves me wrong I'm predicting a terrible hire. Please prove me wrong Jim!

I want Barbee and I would be very happy with Golding.

Unfortunately my prediction is that Senter will hire Menzies. He fits into his criteria and older coach who won't leave. (because he has no options) I think this would be a disastourous hire but unfortunately he checks all Senter's boxes. Until Senter proves me wrong I'm predicting a terrible hire. Please prove me wrong Jim!
Menzies is very interested, however is is not Uteps 1st choice. It's either Golding, Jans or Tang in the lead with Barber 4th. The others are dark horses though still and it could be a name we don't expect.

Menzies would be a better hire than Barbee. He's the one that took what Theus started and turned it into a strong winning tradition that still exist to this day. He did it in a much tougher version of the WAC. Not the shell Jans competes in.

With that said, I don't want either.

Menzies is very interested, however is is not Uteps 1st choice. It's either Golding, Jans or Tang in the lead with Barber 4th. The others are dark horses though still and it could be a name we don't expect.
Has Tang interviewed?

Has Tang interviewed?
Not yet. As of yesterday I know Utep sent out
Has Tang interviewed?
Interest I was told is there from Utep in him interviewing. However I haven't heard of any response given back from Tang to Utep. That would be a Great Hire along with Golding, Keller or Jans. Keller is my top one, but I don't know if he'll get a chance due to the issues with SFA. It's unfortunate though, cause he's a great coach and that wasn't really all on him.

Good question. There’s not much buzz around his name except for here on the forum, from what I’ve seen/heard, and even that’s lost some juice.

Not yet. As of yesterday I know Utep sent out

Interest I was told is there from Utep in him interviewing. However I haven't heard of any response given back from Tang to Utep. That would be a Great Hire along with Golding, Keller or Jans. Keller is my top one, but I don't know if he'll get a chance due to the issues with SFA. It's unfortunate though, cause he's a great coach and that wasn't really all on him.
Thanks natty. I hadn't heard that he had been interviewed. Not sure he would leave Baylor for UTEP. I did hear Keller has been contacted as well. An interesting name I had heard floated around, just a rumor, is Greg Marshall.

Thanks natty. I hadn't heard that he had been interviewed. Not sure he would leave Baylor for UTEP. I did hear Keller has been contacted as well. An interesting name I had heard floated around, just a rumor, is Greg Marshall.
I actually heard something about Greg Marshall as a possibility. I’d be ok with him except for...

I know all the allegations of verbal and physical abuse. I honestly think he’s old school, similar to Floyd. Not that abuse of any kind is ok, but damn near everything is considered abuse now.

Just working with high schoolers I know these kids pop off and have a sense of entitlement that most coaches above 50 find infuriating. In college it’s even worse. Difficult not to scold and give a little shove of common sense into some of these kids. I don’t know if Marshall can adapt to the current college culture at this point in his life. As far as Xs and Os, I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I actually heard something about Greg Marshall as a possibility. I’d be ok with him except for...

I know all the allegations of verbal and physical abuse. I honestly think he’s old school, similar to Floyd. Not that abuse of any kind is ok, but damn near everything is considered abuse now.

Just working with high schoolers I know these kids pop off and have a sense of entitlement that most coaches above 50 find infuriating. In college it’s even worse. Difficult not to scold and give a little shove a little common sense into some of these kids. I don’t know Marshall he can adapt to the current college culture at this point in his life. As far as Xs and Os, I’d take him in a heartbeat.
I also immediately thought of the CTF comparison as well. There's no doubt the guy can coach; the question is would any one still want to play for him?

Gregg Marshall: Great, great coach but UTEP doesn't need this type of attention. However, there are the Iona's out there willing to take the risk after a "cooling off" period.

"In early October, Stadium’s Jeff Goodman reported that former Wichita State player Shaq Morris accused Marshall of punching him twice during a 2015 practice. Also, Marshall allegedly choked assistant coach Kyle Lindsted during the 2016-17 season, among other assertions.

An investigation was immediately launched into the matter. Today, Marshall officially stepped down as Wichita State head coach, effective immediately."

https://thespun.com/college-hoops/breaking-wichita-state-announces-decision-on-gregg-marshall

Why do people keep mentioning Barbee as a candidate? Has he expressed any interest in returning whatsoever, or is this just wishful thinking by some?

Why do people keep mentioning Barbee as a candidate? Has he expressed any interest in returning whatsoever, or is this just wishful thinking by some?
I saw some post somewhere that said he was interested.

The real question is: has his wife warmed up to El Paso? I thought the rumors were that she didn't enjoy living in El Paso, which helped make the decision easy for him to leave.

Just out of curiosity what do you all think the timeline will be until we have our new coach ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT