ADVERTISEMENT

NEXT YEAR

Team USA lost to France. And the NBA players dont really care.

That’s not really a surprise. They lost in the leadup to the tournament but they did qualify for the olympics, and I’m sure most of the big names will play since it will be for a gold medal.

Agree that this team is more loaded than CBG’s second year, but that team was the epitome of great chemistry. If this team has that, it sounds that a trip to the tourney is quite possible.
I think that's an unfair comparison to this team(CBG). You can't find a guy like Fili Rivera on this team, he was so smooth and he had the shooting machine-like Omar Thomas to drop dimes too. Still remains to be seen if this team has Gamers like those two. On paper yes it seems the most talented team since then, but as you said on the floor "chemistry" remains to be seen. I still think the Caracter CTB team was more talented.

I think that's an unfair comparison to this team(CBG). You can't find a guy like Fili Rivera on this team, he was so smooth and he had the shooting machine-like Omar Thomas to drop dimes too. Still remains to be seen if this team has Gamers like those two. On paper yes it seems the most talented team since then, but as you said on the floor "chemistry" remains to be seen. I still think the Caracter CTB team was more talented.

Great point! Chemistry is the big concern for this team. Of all the transfers I think Williams is the lock to be a star. Put on the tape the tape that guy always shows up makes his team better. The rest of the transfers are much more of question marks. Most of their teams improved last year with out them, addition by subtraction. Who's going to put their ego and defer to another guy in crunch time and be a team player. If these guys cant do that it's going to be a long year. I think this group will be much more of a challenge to coach than most teams. No doubt they have talent the issue will be if they can gel and play as a team.

This is certainly the most intriguing team in the last decade. This team is like being on a run way train going around a sharp curve. Either the train is going to make and it's going to be the most spectacular exciting ride you've ever taken. It could also run off the tracks and blow up spectaculary. I rooting hard we make it around the curve.

Reactions: develman

What’s the unfair comparison? That I think that this team is more loaded? Player by player, i do think that. This team is loaded...at least on paper as you said. We’ll soon see.

My broader point was that if this team can develop the superb chemistry that team had, the potential to be really good is there. Chemistry is key.

What’s the unfair comparison? That I think that this team is more loaded? Player by player, i do think that. This team is loaded...at least on paper as you said. We’ll soon see.

My broader point was that if this team can develop the superb chemistry that team had, the potential to be really good is there. Chemistry is key.
I mean talent isn't the only thing that makes a good team. To make the cogs fit together is a coaches challenge. I think the chemistry between Fili and Omar was a natural thing between the two(no disrespect to CBG), and I think this year's team doesn't have anyone proven as clutch as Omar and Fili. CBG team wasn't as talented as CTB team, but Billy Clyde's team was a better (more cohesive) team than Coach Barbee's team IMO. I agree with you, the potential to be better than just good is there. Hope it happens.

I mean talent isn't the only thing that makes a good team. To make the cogs fit together is a coaches challenge. I think the chemistry between Fili and Omar was a natural thing between the two(no disrespect to CBG), and I think this year's team doesn't have anyone proven as clutch as Omar and Fili. CBG team wasn't as talented as CTB team, but Billy Clyde's team was a better (more cohesive) team than Coach Barbee's team IMO. I agree with you, the potential to be better than just good is there. Hope it happens.

I thought Coach Barbee's best team had exceptional chemistry, until they didn't.

BCG's team was pretty loaded. Besides Fili and Omar, and remember that Omar wasn't even usually a starter for BCG (Doc used him as a starter, but he was the sixth man for BCG most games), we had Smallwood, Tofi, Jason Williams, Chris Craig, there were just a bunch of contributors who were capable of double-digit scoring on any given night. It was a balanced team and it was difficult to guard everyone. Fili, I seem to remember, was the top-ranked JUCO PG when we signed him, or pretty damned close? So he came in with built-in experience and was ready to play. He's definitely a big part of the reason that team had such chemistry. And boy, did that team play smothering defense.

I miss fili one of my favorite players ever....this team has been playing together for a year now which is should give them some great chemistry or at least they know what to expect.....

Besides Boum who are our shooters? Or will teams clog the paint against us?? I want b-ball season to start TODAY.....

I miss fili one of my favorite players ever....this team has been playing together for a year now which is should give them some great chemistry or at least they know what to expect.....

Besides Boum who are our shooters? Or will teams clog the paint against us?? I want b-ball season to start TODAY.....
The most impressive aspects of this team will be it's length and mobility. They'll change a lot of shots and grab a lot of rebounds.

Agree. For whatever reason, it flew the coop against Butler. 2nd half chemistry was like oil and water.
Well, for one thing, Butler was a Final Four team, so they definitely had something to say about it.

But I remember rumors going around at the time that the team had just found out (perhaps even that day?) that Barbee was leaving to Auburn. I don't know if there's truth to that, but that was definitely one of the rumors that could explain why team chemistry could seem off. Does anybody have any insight into how/when the players actually found out?

Well, for one thing, Butler was a Final Four team, so they definitely had something to say about it.

But I remember rumors going around at the time that the team had just found out (perhaps even that day?) that Barbee was leaving to Auburn. I don't know if there's truth to that, but that was definitely one of the rumors that could explain why team chemistry could seem off. Does anybody have any insight into how/when the players actually found out?

That’s what I heard, that there was a complete meltdown in the locker room at the half. The way The Miners came out and sh*t the bed in the 2nd half seems to support that theory.

The melt down in the second half had nothing to do with halftime. Thru guys on the team were on their phones all night with their girl friends. Most of them didn't go to sleep until 5:00 a.m. They had nothing left in the tank. Heard this from a guy that was on that team.

Reactions: Lil_Train

Final 2 team if I remember correctly. Lost to Duke in the final.

The talent on Culpepper team (he was the CUSA MVP as a junior) was the best in the last 25 yrs. If Barbee was smart, he would have worked his ass off to get Caracter back for his senior year and the team would have been a pre-season Top 15 senior laden team with Caracter, Culpepper, Moultrie, Stone, Polk, McCulley and Williams.

The talent is there on this year’s team to compete at a very high level - what worries me is the lack of a true point guard.

Yes, I had asked Randy about this years ago. The rumor was out there a d a player asked and Barber didn't deny it. He just said "Whatever happens
Final 2 team if I remember correctly. Lost to Duke in the final.
And had the lead with less than a minute and almost won it all! It was just their year. We drew the wrong 5 seed that year.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Yes, I had asked Randy about this years ago. The rumor was out there a d a player asked and Barber didn't deny it. He just said "Whatever happens

And had the lead with less than a minute and almost won it all! It was just their year. We drew the wrong 5 seed that year.
I believe the team found out just before the Houston game in the conference final. All the players were beside themselves and not doing anything Barbee tried to get them to do. At one point Barbee sat on the end of the bench by himself and just shook his head in disgust. The miners had won 16 or 17 straight at that point. At least that's the way I remember it. The rumors trickled into digs around that time.

Reactions: minerfan_14

Completely agree with that. Talk about team chemistry...Butler had it in droves. As natty said, as tough of a 5 seed draw as there could be.

With that said, and whatever the reason(s) it truly was, the Miners’ play from 1st to 2nd half was night and day. Something changed. UTEP could’ve won that game had they played a full 40.

Reactions: utep2step
Do you all agree that I think 10-12 Ppg will be our leading scorer?? I think we will have 5 people on the court that can score at all times or at least 4.... who do you all think

Will be our leading scorer
Rebounder
Assist
And 3pt shooter (percentage wise)

I think we will have more of a go to guy, probably Williams, who averages 14-15 pts per game.

I think we’ll have 5 who average in double digits scoring wise.

I’m with Lil Train in that Efe’s stats were not necessarily indicative of how he will fare this year, but I do think emphasis will be placed on him grabbing boards and that he’ll lead the team in this category.

I think Lathon will lead in assists but not by much. He’s a score first PG and I expect him to have between 4-5 a game, with several others nearing the 3 per game mark.

3 point percentage? I’m gonna go with Boum leading the way.

Boum is going to be the unknown pleasant surprise IMO. He has good experience in from a competitive conference while at San Francisco and was two time ALL Oakland MVP. I am hoping he is the Pony Goodwin for Lathon. A good pg makes life so much sweeter for execution and efficiency.

Efe will have an outstanding year, but he will have an abundance of help from Williams, Tarke, Verhoeven, Vila, Eze and others. Last year it was Efe or nothing inside.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT