ADVERTISEMENT

Nice Convo with Coach Dimel

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Ran into coach Dimel tonight while watching the NBA Finals here in the Dallas area. Very cool gentleman and he is positive about the upcoming season. He feels this team will be a top 20 defensive team and that Hardison will be much improved. Also that Aaron Jones has really been a great Ambassador to UTEP and he's helped with recruiting especially at RB. I'm sure most of it was coach speak, but it was still a nice conversation and I'm excited for the season!

Last edited:
No kidding! You're telling me a college football coach is positive about his team. :D Don't be fooled by Dimel and Senter. They are just overpaid, used car salesmen.

Reactions: T-6 Miner
No kidding! You're telling me a college football coach is positive about his team. :D Don't be fooled by Dimel and Senter. They are just overpaid, used car salesmen.
Like I said, I'm sure it was coach speak. However I've said even before talking to him, I think this team will have another winning record and go Bowling.

Ran into coach Dimel tonight while watching the NBA Finals here in the Dallas area. Very cool gentleman and he is positive about the upcoming season. He feels this team will be a a top 20 defensive team and that Hardison will be much improved. Also that Aaron Jones has really been a great Ambassador to UTEP and he's helped with recruiting especially at RB. I'm sure most of it was coach speak, but it was still a nice conversation and I'm excited for the season!
How has Aaron Jones helped with recruiting RBS?? They didnt get T Jones or the other RB from that went to Texas Tech. What RB has Aaron Jones helped with?

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Ran into coach Dimel tonight while watching the NBA Finals here in the Dallas area. Very cool gentleman and he is positive about the upcoming season. He feels this team will be a a top 20 defensive team and that Hardison will be much improved. Also that Aaron Jones has really been a great Ambassador to UTEP and he's helped with recruiting especially at RB. I'm sure most of it was coach speak, but it was still a nice conversation and I'm excited for the season!
Thank you for sharing. Glad to see and read AJ really giving back to program and EP.

I don't think he can discuss that, but just mentioned he's been a good Ambassador to whatever extent that means.
Doesn't he continue to rep El Paso and UTEP on social media? That should be a big deal for Fili.

How many followers does AJ have?

I don't think he can discuss that, but just mentioned he's been a good Ambassador to whatever extent that means.

I was asking @utep2step He said Aaron gives back to UTEP. I have never heard anywhere that Aaron has donated money to UTEP, so I was curious where he got his information from.

Reactions: nattybry
How has Aaron Jones helped with recruiting RBS?? They didnt get T Jones or the other RB from that went to Texas Tech. What RB has Aaron Jones helped with?
Newspaper articles at the time mentioned that Jones was key in the recruitment of Hankins. I don't personally know of any others, but I do believe that we had a nice group of RBs last year, so it's certainly possible that Jones has helped in recruiting other backs as well.

As for the criticism of Dimel, of course it's coachspeak. Also, if it wasn't for last year I would heavily criticizing him as well, but last year did happen. Now I get the easy schedule, but we were clearly much better than we were when he took over. And while I hope that our offense becomes more imaginative, and that we start executing better at the end of halves, as long as we keep on improving it is getting harder and harder to criticize him. For the first time in forever I'm excited about next football season.

Do y'all feel more excited about this season or before the 2015 season started? I remember folks predicting double digit wins and CUSA title aspirations. Seems like I've seen some make similar predictions about this upcoming season.

Do y'all feel more excited about this season or before the 2015 season started? I remember folks predicting double digit wins and CUSA title aspirations. Seems like I've seen some make similar predictions about this upcoming season.
This season. I like exciting, high octane football like most people, however the purist in me is really excited about the potential of this defensive unit. It alone will keep us in a few games is my guess.

This season. I like exciting, high octane football like most people, however the purist in me is really excited about the potential of this defensive unit. It alone will keep us in a few games is my guess.
Agree, but I think our offense will be stagnant. Utilizing a TE in the passing game and getting Awatt on the edges should help, but losing Cowing was a big blow.

Reactions: develman
In Dimel's first two seasons, if we had won three games per season we would have thought we were doing something. Last season we won seven and were a little let down due to the easy schedule. There is a big difference in attitude now. We are expecting to win more games than we lose. The team has to expect to get to a bowl game and win it. Go Miners.

Optimistic? No. But I am looking forward to seeing a good stout D line and (better be more improved) Hardison. If Hardison goes down, Dimel can kiss the season goodbye.

Reactions: develman
Excited about what the defense can do. Offense eh, they have potential but will they produce in crunch time? I will be impressed if they win 7 games.

I really don’t know what to expect. I will hold off judgment until after the OU game. Struggle to beat UNT and get blown out by OU, same ol Miners.

They probably would have made a bowl again had Aaron Jones not been injured 2 games into the season. This team is not built around 1 player like that one was.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I really don’t know what to expect. I will hold off judgment until after the OU game. Struggle to beat UNT and get blown out by OU, same ol Miners.
I expect the team to battle to .500. 6 wins is somewhat acceptable for UTEP football. We dont have that "easy" FCS game, two guaranteed loses ooc, and the UNM game is on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT