ADVERTISEMENT

North Texas at UTEP Roll, Predictions, and All That

According to the pre game interview, UNTs coach was a walk on on one of CRT's teams. Maybe I missed something.

OK, now that we have sound I'll go back to Tiech. Eeeek!! We're gonna miss Tiech on of these days.

Teicher has been good, but I won’t miss him.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Paul’s brought a ton of energy tonight, but he never takes it to the rim.

yellen drives me crazy. always talks in hyperbole and gets way too excited for no reason.

Back to the game-- only down by 4, but tough for a young team to win this type of game

Everybody just standing outside the 3 point line watching Lathon shoot. Terry is gonna have a field day with this game film.

Reactions: minerfan_14
RT had a great game plan tonight and the kids bought in.

Lathon, Hawkins, Gilyard really put on a defensive clinic in the first 8 minutes of the game cutting off dribble drive angles in man-to-man you can see RT was concerned out not getting burned on the dribble
Drive because UTEP shut NT out in 1H by cutting off driving lanes and forcing bad shots.

The lack of consistent scorer continues to plague this young team, Hawkins can fly to the rim in the open floor but missed two key layups when UTEP needed a bucket. Gilyard was a no-show tonight, could have used a 15 point effort from the kid but credit to NT for their game plan on EG.

At the under 7 min timeout of the second half, Terry made some adjustments and went on a run, but then rebounding became an issue as NT outworked our guys and capitalized as we were drained. Efe should have a had post touch each offensive trip from that point on.

#1 Drained those two 3’s down the stretch, one on a second chance opportunity I believe and that sealed the deal. The first few minutes of the second half also were a big difference when they outscored is 19-6 but god dammit we dug in and recovered.

Great effort and game plan from RT, gritty as shit effort, held Woolridge scoreless for most of the first half. Trust the process, I like what I see from Terry and his staff at this point of a rough season, kids gotta keep improving and working I hate to see a loss and don’t want to glorify moral victories but I love the defensive effort tonight and that’s a credit to Terry for having them prepared.

Almost won a game we shouldn’t have tonight, and that’s all we can ask for this year...

It is starting to show that we have 3 true freshman and a sophomore, in our starting lineup of 4 players. I say starting lineup of 4 because Paul Thomas is non-existent out on the court. I just don't understand how a senior gets ZERO points against UNT????? These true freshman mistakes are beginning to take its toll , but it is all we got, so hopefully these guy learn from it for next season.

Last edited:
It is starting to show that we have 3 true freshman and a sophomore, in our starting lineup of 4 players. I say starting lineup of 4 because Paul Thomas is non-existent out on the court. I just don't understand how a senior gets ZERO points against UNT????? These true freshman mistakes are beginning to take its toll , but it is all we got, so hopefully these guy learn from it for next season.

Paul did play some good D tonight.

RT had a great game plan tonight and the kids bought in.

Lathon, Hawkins, Gilyard really put on a defensive clinic in the first 8 minutes of the game cutting off dribble drive angles in man-to-man you can see RT was concerned out not getting burned on the dribble
Drive because UTEP shut NT out in 1H by cutting off driving lanes and forcing bad shots.

The lack of consistent scorer continues to plague this young team, Hawkins can fly to the rim in the open floor but missed two key layups when UTEP needed a bucket. Gilyard was a no-show tonight, could have used a 15 point effort from the kid but credit to NT for their game plan on EG.

At the under 7 min timeout of the second half, Terry made some adjustments and went on a run, but then rebounding became an issue as NT outworked our guys and capitalized as we were drained. Efe should have a had post touch each offensive trip from that point on.

#1 Drained those two 3’s down the stretch, one on a second chance opportunity I believe and that sealed the deal. The first few minutes of the second half also were a big difference when they outscored is 19-6 but god dammit we dug in and recovered.

Great effort and game plan from RT, gritty as shit effort, held Woolridge scoreless for most of the first half. Trust the process, I like what I see from Terry and his staff at this point of a rough season, kids gotta keep improving and working I hate to see a loss and don’t want to glorify moral victories but I love the defensive effort tonight and that’s a credit to Terry for having them prepared.

Almost won a game we shouldn’t have tonight, and that’s all we can ask for this year...
Nice breakdown. I had no problem with our D tonight (only except I would like to have seen more hands up on the perimeter). We played well enough on D to win.

Our offense was difficult to watch. UNT really packed it in on our drives. There were way too many forced shots. The extra pass was missing and we weren't hitting from 3. Too many wasted possessions.

Watched the game from the ESPN + app here on the East Coast. Big Man Odigie is a special player. If the right pieces around him are placed they can be a force inside for seasons to come.

Watching that announced crown of over 4k , that was brutal. The crowd can be a vital asset to a Miner team, but it looked horrible and unenthused. I guess if the tables were turned and the UTEP team had come in 15-1 the place would of been packed. Nothing but (veteran) season ticket holders. With not a lot of youth and younger generation fans. Which should be scary for a team going through a marketing revitalization. If you dont think the crowd can get any worse, the department needs to understand it surely can.

Watched the game from the ESPN + app here on the East Coast. Big Man Odigie is a special player. If the right pieces around him are placed they can be a force inside for seasons to come.

Watching that announced crown of over 4k , that was brutal. The crowd can be a vital asset to a Miner team, but it looked horrible and unenthused. I guess if the tables were turned and the UTEP team had come in 15-1 the place would of been packed. Nothing but (veteran) season ticket holders. With not a lot of youth and younger generation fans. Which should be scary for a team going through a marketing revitalization. If you dont think the crowd can get any worse, the department needs to understand it surely can.

It was raining last night which El Pasoans hate. The crowd wasn’t big, but it was into it.

Saturday will be dead because of the Cowboys game. Then there are only four more home games.

It was raining last night which El Pasoans hate. The crowd wasn’t big, but it was into it.

Saturday will be dead because of the Cowboys game. Then there are only four more home games.

I highly doubt there was really over 4k fans at that game last night. I mean it looked bad on television. I am sure there are tons of variables in El Paso to attend games; weather, how the team is playing, ticket prices, marketing.

<4 at the Don. Times really have changed. Why not just eliminate seating and make the arena more intimate. Then have fans beg to be let in for special games. What will it take to ...sheesh get back to even 7k a game. My concern is what if the attendance continues dropping?????

"Trust the process" -- Roy BigWood

I like the way this guy thinks.

He could post the same sentiment regarding Dana Dimel and UTEP football.

One man's prediction: For UTEP basketball AND football fans, 2020 will be a year to remember.

Miners Are Forever, yes, but can we hold our water til then?

I highly doubt there was really over 4k fans at that game last night. I mean it looked bad on television. I am sure there are tons of variables in El Paso to attend games; weather, how the team is playing, ticket prices, marketing.

<4 at the Don. Times really have changed. Why not just eliminate seating and make the arena more intimate. Then have fans beg to be let in for special games. What will it take to ...sheesh get back to even 7k a game. My concern is what if the attendance continues dropping?????

It’d be awesome if UTEP replaced The Don with a new, more intimate arena.

That’s my same concern. I’ve said it, we all say it, if we had such and such team’s record we would have this many more in attendance. We say it to make ourselves feel better. Last night after I heard Teicher say if we were 15-1 the Haskins would be sold out. It really turned me off.

How about we start a season 15-1? When was the last time that happened in 66? When was the last time we had a sellout? How do we even know the bandwagon fans will return if we have a good team?

I’m afraid the train has passed. In our current conference even if we get a 24-6 team I just don’t know if it will be enough to sell out games.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Not sure that I am right about this, as I have only seen UTEP play once this year, but it sure seems like they seem to give up a lot of offensive rebounds. It just seems by the stats each night there is a large disparity.
Secondly, it looks like the Free throw percentage is up as it was horrible under Floyd.
Anyone that has seen them consistently noticed this?

"Trust the process" -- Roy BigWood

I like the way this guy thinks.

He could post the same sentiment regarding Dana Dimel and UTEP football.

One man's prediction: For UTEP basketball AND football fans, 2020 will be a year to remember.

Miners Are Forever, yes, but can we hold our water til then?
Dana Dimel was the worst hire in modern FBS football history and will not turn the program around, just my opinion that could turn into a major fact, but that's a thread for another day. UTEP football has been bad for 100 years and I'm still a fan, so until UTEP pays a head football coach real money, there is no UTEP football process to believe in or buy into other than to hope the weather is nice when diehards like ourselves go to the Sun Bowl. I respect and really can see RT's process working, Dimel's 'culture' was non-existent and still is. Rooting for Dimel, but the reality is RT will have the Don packed before Dimel has a winning C-USA record.

Reminder: who cares about his recruiting classes, Dana Dimel is 30-51 as a college football head coach.

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Not sure that I am right about this, as I have only seen UTEP play once this year, but it sure seems like they seem to give up a lot of offensive rebounds. It just seems by the stats each night there is a large disparity.
Secondly, it looks like the Free throw percentage is up as it was horrible under Floyd.
Anyone that has seen them consistently noticed this?
Oh heck yes. 5 of 7 FT against and UNT got 14 offensive rebounds.......14! UTEP lost by just 7 to the current conference front runner. This one is totally on CRT and his staff. I can totally understand not having the offensive fire power right now but defensive rebounding at this level can be remediated no matter if a scrub or starter.

UTSA swept the Miners, have upperclassmen leadership, are on a 7 game win streak and have one of the top up and coming coaches. I don't think you can call UNT overrated just yet.

yes. They swept a Miner team of four Freshmen, two sophomores, one senior and a transfer. we saw that UNT was overrated when they struggled against UTEP. Wins over St Peters, Arkansas Pine Bluff and Portland don't impress me

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT