ADVERTISEMENT

Not 0-12

Are we in the worst stretch of UTEP football ever? I know we've had some bad stretches, so I'm curious how the really old-timers think this measures up.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Only UTEP could go winless and be so tone deaf to hire a coach who went winless at his last stop. I think there are hundreds of coaches out there literally who would have done better than Dimmel. Which isn’t a high bar. There are probably just a few coaches out there who would have us winning, but at this point I’d love to go 3-9 and 4-8 every year.

If UTEP cannot win 2 games this season, to me it would be a full program sweep with Dimel and Senter out the door asap.

The article does make light that there are possible pieces that can help offensively and on defense, it highlights the lack of "thump" in the LB core.

This though is pretty much in line with what we have said all along: 2 wins being the litmus test for Dimel.

If UTEP cannot win 2 games this season, to me it would be a full program sweep with Dimel and Senter out the door asap.

The article does make light that there are possible pieces that can help offensively and on defense, it highlights the lack of "thump" in the LB core.

This though is pretty much in line with what we have said all along: 2 wins being the litmus test for Dimel.

Assuming we beat NMSU at home, where’s the second win? Maybe FIU at home? Rice on the road?

Assuming we beat NMSU at home, where’s the second win? Maybe FIU at home? Rice on the road?

Would it really matter? Would you keep Dimel around for going 2-10?

Even if he produced two miracles and beat Tech and UT then lost all the others, would you bring him back then?

Rice on the road is the next game that could be won. However, UTEP is so bad, that everything has to be almost perfect just to squeak out a win. If UTEP doesn't beat NMSU, I think the Miners can be on the way to perhaps another 0-12 season.

Would it really matter? Would you keep Dimel around for going 2-10?

Even if he produced two miracles and beat Tech and UT then lost all the others, would you bring him back then?

Personally, no. 2 wins doesn't matter, I would have canned Dimel at the end of last season and just absorb the sunk cost. However, I dont earn the cash and benefits that Senter does and he is so on target to keep him to save money, that he would celebrate 2 wins as a "positive trajectory" for the program and keep Dimel.

This reminds me of the Browns keeping Hue Jackson despite the 3-36-1 record for the sake of maintaining continuity, which is laughable because they were choosing to maintain losing.

Last edited:
FIU used to stomp on us when they were bad. They’re a pre season favorite for the conference title. Expect a 42-21 score line.

Rice on the road is the next game that could be won. However, UTEP is so bad, that everything has to be almost perfect just to squeak out a win. If UTEP doesn't beat NMSU, I think the Miners can be on the way to perhaps another 0-12 season.

Personally, no. 2 wins doesn't matter, I would have canned Dimel at the end of last season and just absorb the sunk cost. However, I dont earn the cash and benefits that Senter does and he is so on target to keep him to save money, that he would celebrate 2 wins as a "positive trajectory" for the program and keep Dimel.

I’d put the bar at 3 wins for Dimel to stay.

FIU used to stomp on us when they were bad. They’re a pre season favorite for the conference title. Expect a 42-21 score line.

Right, but I just don’t see us winning a road game except MAYBE Rice. I was scratching for that second win.

I’ve been saying since last season, if we start 0-3 (under normal circumstances) and we lose to NMSU, you fire him then.

And as you correctly point out: the COVID-19 variable. So many ways that the season can play out that I can see a scenario where he starts 0-3, gets blown out in all 3 games and will keep his job.

Assuming (majorly) that all 12 games get played under COVID-19, at what point does Dimel get canned? 0-3? 0-6?

NTSU at home, or @ Rice or UTSA?
All three. North Texas should be taking several steps back after losing Fine. UTSA is debuting a coach. And RICE is probably the only road game on our schedule that’s winnable.

All three. North Texas should be taking several steps back after losing Fine. UTSA is debuting a coach. And RICE is probably the only road game on our schedule that’s winnable.

4 wins, baby!

I hate to say this but even if we start 0-6 Dimel isn’t going anywhere unless he walks away. We need to keep him until January 31 2021 to only owe him the last two years on his contract.

Lol NO!!! Four games we have a chance at not getting curb stomped. It will take a lot to win all four.

That’s why I say 3 wins should be the bar. Gotta win a couple as the underdog.

My biggest concern is the D. Anyone with a good run game will just try to run all over us. Texas might get 300+ yards rushing against us.

I hate to say this but even if we start 0-6 Dimel isn’t going anywhere unless he walks away. We need to keep him until January 31 2021 to only owe him the last two years on his contract.

Agree — and if he’s fired in season it means Senter has a chance to save his job.

That’s why I say 3 wins should be the bar. Gotta win a couple as the underdog.

My biggest concern is the D. Anyone with a good run game will just try to run all over us. Texas might get 300+ yards rushing against us.
Three wins is very reasonable for a coach in his third season. I would be content with wins over NMSU, RICE, and UTSA/UNT.

I was hoping we would get a real AD after Stull, but we got the same person in a different body. Maybe we couldn’t have gotten rid os DISMEL, but he could have insisted we hire a new OC, and DC.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I was hoping we would get a real AD after Stull, but we got the same person in a different body. Maybe we couldn’t have gotten rid os DISMEL, but he could have insisted we hire a new OC, and DC.

I would actually take Stull over Senter.

Senter is a phony $300k used car salesman who, with Dimel, is robbing $1 million a year from UTEP.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I would actually take Stull over Senter.

Senter is a phony $300k used car salesman who, with Dimel, is robbing $1 million a year from UTEP.

Let’s face it, Stull’s legacy is based on 3 bad choices he made. Not firing Price after either of the 08’ or 09’ seasons, hiring Kugler, and not firing Floyd after the 15-16 season.

He did a lot of good, some we can say not so much with 20/20 hindsight, but yeah, I would have taken him of Senter. Senter came out swinging with the goods, but once he hired Dimel and he lost to NAU, forget about it.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Three wins along with narrow margin losses will be a sign that this team is improving. If they get blown out and the offense output remains the same you need to get a new coach.

Atleast Stull hired Barbee, Billy, Doc, all coaches with success... Don't forget Mike Price. Hopefully UTEP athletics gets better this season. It has sucked pretty bad as of a good damn while!

Atleast Stull hired Barbee, Billy, Doc, all coaches with success... Don't forget Mike Price. Hopefully UTEP athletics gets better this season. It has sucked pretty bad as of a good damn while!
I still don’t believe we will have sports this year. That saves Senter, Dimel, and Terry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT