ADVERTISEMENT

Not even a single Sun Belt team

FeralFelidae

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 1, 2003
has three road games to start the season. I was going to complain about our Sun Belt-style of schedule this season with three road games to start the season, but I checked and none of the Sun Belt teams are doing this. So I can't even call it that.

Great way to put our football team in a position to succeed, Stull. This is so bad that if it ever happens again you should be fired. One time can perhaps be explained away as a quirk of scheduling, but make sure such a quirk never happens again.

If we must play a money game, make sure it falls on the schedule such that we're not opening with three straight road games. Awful. What type of attendance do you expect when the Miners finally do get to play at home after being sent out to be trounced back-to-back at Arkansas and Texas Tech?

/rant

I'll probably feel better after beating the Aggies tomorrow.

Last edited:
And the home opener is against...I keep forgetting their name...

Lets also not forget we only have three saturday home games vs fbs competition. We open with UIW and play rice on a friday night in november. You would really have to try to make a crappier schedule.

has three road games to start the season. I was going to complain about our Sun Belt-style of schedule this season with three road games to start the season, but I checked and none of the Sun Belt teams are doing this. So I can't even call it that.

Great way to put our football team in a position to succeed, Stull. This is so bad that if it ever happens again you should be fired. One time can perhaps be explained away as a quirk of scheduling, but make sure such a quirk never happens again.

If we must play a money game, make sure it falls on the schedule such that we're not opening with three straight road games. Awful. What type of attendance do you expect when the Miners finally do get to play at home after being sent out to be trounced back-to-back at Arkansas and Texas Tech?

/rant

I'll probably feel better after beating the Aggies tomorrow.

Money, money, money. According to sports news sources, within the past five years, major programs were having trouble scheduling mid major talent for home games and paying the regular going rate of $500,000 +/-. Because of the new FBS rules of no less than 5 or six homes games (I forgot which), this left mid majors conferences scrambling themselves to meet the requirements. There was one "get out of jail" free card for both major and mid majors that allowed one win against a FCS (only) every five years to gain bowl eligibility, but that still left FBS schools scrambling. Anyways, having a Mike Price in this case had perks that you don't get with a newbie like Sean Kugler (it's not his fault, he just needs to do his time and win more). Price was able to influence Tech, UT, and OU to do a home and home. Stoker at UTSA uses this perk too because of his tenure; he did home and home with KSU and Arizona. Alakazam!! Problem solved if the veteran coaches stay and the AD can now go back to golfing and their scotch and water.

However, The last two years of Price's tenure saw the budget shrinking because UTEP was just hovering around 25k per home game, which was great for CUSA and Sun Belt standards, but that barely pays the bills (Title IX, remember that law?) for Stull's plans. Anyways, Price "retires" and the budget isn't looking so good as compared to the first half of Price's tenure so Stull now has to make up that loss AND hire a new coach. Knock, Knock!! Coach Stull, it's me, Sean! I'm still interested and learned a lot in the NFL and at BSU!! You see folks, in the hierarchy of American football, being a FBS coach is actually a highly sought after and prestigious position. They are coveted like that those last two beers at 2:00 or 3:00 am at a bachelor party and all the stores just closed. So Stull throws out a crazy figure because he thinks they won't bite.....$900,000. Arkansas and KSU told Stull cash or money order? UTEP had no leverage like they did with Price. I'm not saying hiring Kugler was a bad idea, the numbers were shrinking on Price, Stull had to move. It's just a fact that Kugler has no negotiating room with a Mack Brown, Stoops, or Leach like Price did at that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Price had nothing to do with scheduling home and homes. The ad does the scheduling, stull was responsible for the home and homes. Money is not an issue we are better off than any other cusa school money wise. This schedule was a result of stull thinking the rebuilding process would take longer than it did.

Money, money, money. According to sports news sources, within the past five years, major programs were having trouble scheduling mid major talent for home games and paying the regular going rate of $500,000 +/-. Because of the new FBS rules of no less than 5 or six homes games (I forgot which), this left mid majors conferences scrambling themselves to meet the requirements. There was one "get out of jail" free card for both major and mid majors that allowed one win against a FCS (only) every five years to gain bowl eligibility, but that still left FBS schools scrambling. Anyways, having a Mike Price in this case had perks that you don't get with a newbie like Sean Kugler (it's not his fault, he just needs to do his time and win more). Price was able to influence Tech, UT, and OU to do a home and home. Stoker at UTSA uses this perk too because of his tenure; he did home and home with KSU and Arizona. Alakazam!! Problem solved if the veteran coaches stay and the AD can now go back to golfing and their scotch and water.

However, The last two years of Price's tenure saw the budget shrinking because UTEP was just hovering around 25k per home game, which was great for CUSA and Sun Belt standards, but that barely pays the bills (Title IX, remember that law?) for Stull's plans. Anyways, Price "retires" and the budget isn't looking so good as compared to the first half of Price's tenure so Stull now has to make up that loss AND hire a new coach. Knock, Knock!! Coach Stull, it's me, Sean! I'm still interested and learned a lot in the NFL and at BSU!! You see folks, in the hierarchy of American football, being a FBS coach is actually a highly sought after and prestigious position. They are coveted like that those last two beers at 2:00 or 3:00 am at a bachelor party and all the stores just closed. So Stull throws out a crazy figure because he thinks they won't bite.....$900,000. Arkansas and KSU told Stull cash or money order? UTEP had no leverage like they did with Price. I'm not saying hiring Kugler was a bad idea, the numbers were shrinking on Price, Stull had to move. It's just a fact that Kugler has no negotiating room with a Mack Brown, Stoops, or Leach like Price did at that time.
And yet with all this pressure there are no Sun Belt schools opening with three straight road games. Stull is punching way below his weight.

Feral, it's about VALUE. Calling Price's tenure here a "dumpster fire" (like Kugler had Bloomquist write up, which was so gawd damn disrespectful of Price), is like saying General McCarthur was a worthless soldier after being dismissed by Truman in '51. Price brought value to UTEP that you can not put a hard price on. If Price was here, Arkansas and KSU would probably not have been put on the schedule, at least not back to back years, but rather home and home and spread out. But with Kugler coming in, UTEP had to rebuild so Stull took the money and he did not know that losing Jones was a punch in the gut to the rest of the players. Stull put Incarnate Word, because he and Kugler knew Arkansas, Tech and NMSU are tough road games and putting in IW is a relief and can count this year towards bowl eligibility, which now looks like that's will not pan out because Jones is gone and our secondary can't stop anyone and UTEP now looks like they maybe can win two maybe three tops.

Lets also not forget we only have three saturday home games vs fbs competition. We open with UIW and play rice on a friday night in november. You would really have to try to make a crappier schedule.

Rice will be a tough outing for UTEP this year.

Price had nothing to do with scheduling home and homes. The ad does the scheduling, stull was responsible for the home and homes. Money is not an issue we are better off than any other cusa school money wise. This schedule was a result of stull thinking the rebuilding process would take longer than it did.

Total 100% bullcrap and you know it. It was even made public. Yes the AD does the scheduling but Price had influence over it. Price even had Stull cancel (buyout) some games when he got to UTEP.
Life, who the hell are you trying to fool?

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Look, facts and facts, but the little wanna-bee fifth estate of local sports in El Paso needs to stop feeding the Stull bs. Research the facts, analyze and write it up. I know how aggressive UTEP athletic department personnel can be, they are public employees who need to be held accountable.

Total 100% bullcrap and you know it. It was even made public. Yes the AD does the scheduling but Price had influence over it. Price even had Stull cancel (buyout) some games when he got to UTEP.
Life, who the hell are you trying to fool?

I dont think you know anything about scheduling. I guess we can thank Kugler for upcomming home and homes with Arizona and Tech lol. As for your defense of Price I was excited and happy when he got here. The first couple of years he brought in excitement and attendance. However, the end was ugly. The guys werent going to class we faced a postseason ban because of apr scores. There was a rampant drug problem among a large portion of the team. On the field Price's offenses got stagnant and the offensive football was terrible. There is no way to sugar coat the end of the price era.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
However, the end was ugly. The guys werent going to class we faced a postseason ban because of apr scores. There was a rampant drug problem among a large portion of the team. On the field Price's offenses got stagnant and the offensive football was terrible. There is no way to sugar coat the end of the price era.
In 2012 everybody knew it was Price's last year and he was a lame duck. The players knew it and the fans knew it and of course Price knew it, and not by his choice. That year was also the rebirth of the money games, with not one but two. There's plenty of blame to go around for that season.

I dont think you know anything about scheduling. I guess we can thank Kugler for upcomming home and homes with Arizona and Tech lol. As for your defense of Price I was excited and happy when he got here. The first couple of years he brought in excitement and attendance. However, the end was ugly. The guys werent going to class we faced a postseason ban because of apr scores. There was a rampant drug problem among a large portion of the team. On the field Price's offenses got stagnant and the offensive football was terrible. There is no way to sugar coat the end of the price era.

I don't know scheduling cabron. But saying it is totally done by the AD is misleading. If you read my previous posts, this has turned into a nightmare for Kugler but it's not his fault. Look, I don't have the privilege to go sit and hear Kugler at the pressers and get a free lunch, nor do I, or anyone get to go sit in his office (even though it's State of Texas public property). This is bad luck for Kugler, nothing more, nothing less and he will come out ok. His stubbornness to fully implement a passing game is what has now come to bite him in the ass. Drug problem?! Wow, a drug problem in the football program! He brought in McFarland, Strike One Kugler! Please, drugs are a constant problem in college athletics. Will Kugler be on it? Oh hell yes! Like a hobo on a ham sandwich! But this McFarland incident happened months before the start of fall camp and Kugler came with the news months after it went down? Offense stagnant? No argument there at all. However, Haskins and his players were no angels either and the program towards the end smelled like pond water on a hot day too. However, I didn't read nor hear Jason Rabadeaux say that Haskins left a "dumpster fire".

Last edited:
Price has strong connections in the college football world. Thats why we got Texas and Oklahoma to come play in Sun Bowl. Price and Mack Brown are very good friends, and that was the factor for Texas to play here. If Kugler or Nord were coaches, Texas would laugh at us if we talked about a home and home series. Don't give too much credit to Dull Stull. All he does is collect a paycheck.

However, the end was ugly. The guys werent going to class we faced a postseason ban because of apr scores. There was a rampant drug problem among a large portion of the team.

Not sure who you are, who you think you are, or where you're getting your info, but you continue to slander a former nationally recognized coach who brought nothing but class to El Paso. Still does. Worse, you continue to slander the vast majority of players who represented UTEP under Price. Why is that? Guy slight you an autograph or something? Sounds REAL personal with you. Last week you ranted that Price's UTEP teams consistently "quit", which of course is absurd. Your comment that UTEP faced a "post-season ban" for substandard APR scores if factually incorrect (not that they were bowl contenders). And to allege that there was a "rampant drug problem" during the Price era is not only factually incorrect but mean-spirited. You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. You can focus on those who were 1% of the problem, but your slanderous comments make you look petty, vindictive, and, frankly, pretty small.

Nobody denies that the desired results at UTEP were not there under Mike Price. Or that the AD has never been held accountable by the UTEP fan base for failing to release Price AT LEAST one, if not TWO, years before he did, as should have been done. But constantly slandering and denigrating Price and the vast majority of former student athletes who represented with class - and many graduated from - the school you supposedly support "for life" is classless.

Since he was hired, Sean Kugler has repeatedly made direct and indirect comments denigrating Mike Price and the players he inherited from that program, most recently as last week. Three years later, three recruiting classes later, and a program he now owns being rocked (uncompetitive losses to winning teams, last three games = losses by a total of 99 points to very average teams, etc.), coach seems to have enough problems without continuing to bang on Mike Price - or use the local media to do so.

Reactions: kyyote
Well, it looks like we might have to get used to it.

2016, we actually have 3 non-conference home games (NMSU, Houston Baptist, and Army) with Texas on the road.

2017 is another 3 non-conference road game year (at NMSU, Army, and OU) with Arizona at home.

2018 we have 2 non-conference games scheduled, both on the road (at Arizona and CSU). I"m assuming we'd have NMSU at home and one more game to fill. So, perhaps another 3 road game year.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/utep-miners.php

Not sure who you are, who you think you are, or where you're getting your info, but you continue to slander a former nationally recognized coach who brought nothing but class to El Paso. Still does. Worse, you continue to slander the vast majority of players who represented UTEP under Price. Why is that? Guy slight you an autograph or something? Sounds REAL personal with you. Last week you ranted that Price's UTEP teams consistently "quit", which of course is absurd. Your comment that UTEP faced a "post-season ban" for substandard APR scores if factually incorrect (not that they were bowl contenders). And to allege that there was a "rampant drug problem" during the Price era is not only factually incorrect but mean-spirited. You're entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. You can focus on those who were 1% of the problem, but your slanderous comments make you look petty, vindictive, and, frankly, pretty small.

Nobody denies that the desired results at UTEP were not there under Mike Price. Or that the AD has never been held accountable by the UTEP fan base for failing to release Price AT LEAST one, if not TWO, years before he did, as should have been done. But constantly slandering and denigrating Price and the vast majority of former student athletes who represented with class - and many graduated from - the school you supposedly support "for life" is classless.

Since he was hired, Sean Kugler has repeatedly made direct and indirect comments denigrating Mike Price and the players he inherited from that program, most recently as last week. Three years later, three recruiting classes later, and a program he now owns being rocked (uncompetitive losses to winning teams, last three games = losses by a total of 99 points to very average teams, etc.), coach seems to have enough problems without continuing to bang on Mike Price - or use the local media to do so.

My post is not personal. I was responding to 2steps post where he insuated that Kugler used Price as fall guy and that it wasnt a dumpser fire. There is attrition when any coach comes in, but ive never heard of a coach kicking 43 scholarship players off the team. Thats the equivalent to a self imposed probation. No one wants to give themselves probation. The APR issue which you swept under the rug was a big deal. Everything else has been reported. I dont believe in throwing student athletes under the bus thats why i used no names. I dont have anything personal against Price. Im loyal to the university not a coach. I will still support UTEP no matter who the coach is.

Well, it looks like we might have to get used to it.

2016, we actually have 3 non-conference home games (NMSU, Houston Baptist, and Army) with Texas on the road.

2017 is another 3 non-conference road game year (at NMSU, Army, and OU) with Arizona at home.

2018 we have 2 non-conference games scheduled, both on the road (at Arizona and CSU). I"m assuming we'd have NMSU at home and one more game to fill. So, perhaps another 3 road game year.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/conf-usa/utep-miners.php

I am not one to bash Stull. I think he is doing a pretty good job overall. I just don't understand how he can not keep the schedule balanced. Cupcakes and no name opponents are one thing. I also realize the contracts with other schools are signed years in advance. Still, why does he fail at keeping it balanced with two home non conference games and two away non conference games? Sure, it will be nice next year when we have seven home games. Nice for the long term core fans like ourselves. What if the team is not doing well though? That seventh home game could be a ghost town. Six home games is the way to go. Every season.

Price has strong connections in the college football world. Thats why we got Texas and Oklahoma to come play in Sun Bowl. Price and Mack Brown are very good friends, and that was the factor for Texas to play here. If Kugler or Nord were coaches, Texas would laugh at us if we talked about a home and home series. Don't give too much credit to Dull Stull. All he does is collect a paycheck.

The Texas matchup wasn't home and home -- it was two in Austin for one in El Paso.

I don't think Price/Stull got a home and home with Texas -- I believe it's a 2 for 1.

I think it's inexcusable to have less than 6 home games in any year. A few years ago Stull used the excuse of the widening of Sun Bowl Drive as an inconvenience to fans. When has parking and traffic ever been convenient? Shouldn't happen again, ever. This year's schedule was a disaster from the get go.

The texas and ou games were both 2 for 1's.
The last game in the texas series is next year it was supposed to be in 2012 but was postponed because the big 12 added a 9th conference game. The final ou games are 2018 and 2021 we wont get paid until 2021.

The APR issue which you swept under the rug was a big deal.

@Minerforlife, Another factually incorrect statement on your part. Show me where my response "swept the APR issue under the rug" or said (or even implied) that it wasn't "a big deal". Waiting...

The truth is I corrected your previous factually incorrect statement that claimed UTEP's APR issue led to a "post season ban". Untrue. The football program lost several scholarships, but there was no "post season ban". Now I have to correct your latest factually incorrect statement that I "swept the issue under the rug" and stated/implied that APR wasn't important. Starting to see a pattern here...

I said we faced a postseason ban. We would have gotten a ban if Kugler hadnt improved the apr score to record high in 2013. Nothing i said was inaccuracte.

I said we faced a postseason ban. We would have gotten a ban if Kugler hadnt improved the apr score to record high in 2013. Nothing i said was inaccuracte.

Ok, so first it's "faced a post-season ban", now it's "would have faced a post-season ban". Really? Just make it up as you go along, man.

The ONLY factual point you've made is that UTEP's APR in 2013 was the highest in the history of the program. Miners graduated 15 players off of that squad (possibly an all-time high for the UTEP's football program). But you never heard any of that, especially from Kugler, because he was too busy trashing Price and those players any chance he got, on and off of the field. Still is. Memo to Life: Most of those kids were fifth year seniors, played four years for Price. None of those players - zero - were recruited by Kugler, none just started going to class after he was hired, and none just learned how to study after Kugler was named head coach. But according to you, it was Kugler who was responsible for UTEP's record APR in '13.

And according to Kugler and Bloomquist, Price left Kugler a "dumpster fire"? Gotta tell you, man, that pissed a lot more people off than you know...

Im not gonna argue about Mike Price's tenure anymore. All the facts are out there, it was a dumpster fire. Price had seven straight losing seasons, terrible fundamentals, the inmates ran the asylum. In 2011 they earned a sub 900 apr. He never won without Nord's recruits. Yes Kugler kicked off 43 guys because they were choir boys. You live in an alternate universe.

Look, while I understand several posters being good personal friends of Price, that doesn't mean you see the world clearly all the time. Hell, I never see crap the right way. BUT............

Coog, just because there aren't hard cold facts to document certain things doesn't mean they aren't true. I don't know about the rampant drug use, but I have heard a LOT about players getting high all the time. The streets do talk.
I read many people saying the players gave up in many games. I don't see how that is debatable fact wise. It's opinions. Personally, I just thought they just weren't good enough.

IMHO, I don't think the "dumpster fire" was ever a shot at Price. The fact is a buttload of players left. Whether they were kicked off for not following rules, or quit because they didn't want to follow the new rules for whatever reason, it was still a freaken mess losing all those players.

I "think" when you are very close to a certain coach, you just might have blinders on. You just may take it more personal than if you were.....say....me! I never see you guys stand up for Gary Nord like you do Price. (Coog were you even a fan where Gard was here?) How about David Lee? (you realize he has had a great coaching career since leaving here?)
What I am trying to say is don't act like they are attacking your family with knives. We all have blamed previous coaches for whatever. We still blame Barbee for Floyd. Don't try to defend Price just because someone takes a shot at him. It's senseless. While you may adore him, that doesn't mean he didn't stay too long or didn't leave the house a mess. He isn't perfect.

I want a winner. I will complain to high heaven about ANY coach that isn't doing what he is paid to do....WIN. Kugler is sucking this year. If you haven't noticed, I have been complaining already. That's what we do as fans. I am flakey too....I will brag how great the coach is when we win. (Honestly, you would have thought we hired Saban when Price got here by listening to me)

But please....get off his jock.....

Price's teams played exciting offense, but no D. I miss the mineshaft and planting the pick in the field.

@Tortuga, I call somebody out for making factually incorrect statements and I'm riding Mike Price's jock? Really? And for the record, I am NOT a "personal friend" of Mike Price. I have repeatedly said he should have been released WAY before he "retired". But to denigrate the man and the vast majority of his former players is just wrong.

OTOH, I've been a vetted, admitted Sean Kugler non-fan from jump start. I thought he was unqualified for the job on multiple levels. He needs to quit living up to my expectations or he'll shortly have his own his own "dumpster fire" to worry about.

Final point. The schedule gods continue to shine on Kugler. UTEP beat one team last year with a winning record and avoids the top three teams in C-USA this year (Marshall, WKU, and MTSU), NOT including Louisiana Tech who just lost at Kansas State in 3 OTs - now THAT'S how you compete!. And in three years, Kugler has YET to play Marshall, currently the best football program in the conference. Good luck tonight against the worst team in college football and next week against an FCS team that I can't even spell.

Price's teams played exciting offense, but no D. I miss the mineshaft and planting the pick in the field.
Have to disagree. IMO, Price's biggest failure was his inability to recruit a talented QB following TV. Vittatoe was NEVER the same player after his sophmore year, yet Price ran him out there for four consecutive years. Price had to start a walk-on much of his last year, OTOH, hiring Andre Patterson was his biggest success, IMO. Patterson took C talent and turned it into a pretty salty, well respected, bend not break defense. Ask Oklahoma. Proof? Price's final year, UTEP was 4/12 in C-USA in points per game allowed. That same year they were 12/12 in points scored. Look it up.

Agree on the mineshaft and pick, they were WAY cool...

Have to disagree. IMO, Price's biggest failure was his inability to recruit a talented QB following TV. Vittatoe was NEVER the same player after his sophmore year, yet Price ran him out there for four consecutive years. Price had to start a walk-on much of his last year, OTOH, hiring Andre Patterson was his biggest success, IMO. Patterson took C talent and turned it into a pretty salty, well respected, bend not break defense. Ask Oklahoma. Proof? Price's final year, UTEP was 4/12 in C-USA in points per game allowed. That same year they were 12/12 in points scored. Look it up.

Agree on the mineshaft and pick, they were WAY cool...

Yeah, I was remembering the pre-Trevor years more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT