ADVERTISEMENT

Onyema

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
First five games he scored 53 points(10ppg) and the last three it was 5, 2 and 7 or a bit over 4ppg. Rebounds were about the same throughout. What do you think? The numbers are definitely down. Hope it's nothing; but to me he's not been the same factor in the last three.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Might be having trouble adjusting to double teams now that teams are game planning against him? Not sure

Reactions: miner1liner
I don’t think they get him the ball enough. Guards need to utilize their big men more
Exactly, but the coaches need find ways to get him more involved too. Some simple pick and roll, lobs, corner key turn and drive, out of bounds plays, etc.

His endurance and athleticism are good, but he still has a lot to learn. I'm hoping to see better rebounding, defense (without fouling) and shot blocking too. We know he can finish, but these things are more important right now and would allow his role on the team to expand

I have been thinking about that situation. He is a young kid who has a ton of upside. He is one of my favorite players. And why not leave the kid in even if he has to fouls and let him play out? Kalu is the serviceable back up and the Hamilton kid can give us a few minutes. I think he the coach interrupts his flow when he is taken out of the game after every foul.

All I can say about Onyema is when I watched him earlier last season, he didn't look like he belonged on the court . Seemed like he needed a redshirt.

This season and the 2nd half of last season, it's like he grew a foot or something. The growth and improvement has been incredible. If it wasn't for the foul trouble, I think he is one of if not THE best player on the team. If we can hold onto him for his senior year, I think his numbers will improve drastically. He will be playing pro ball somewhere in the world just based on his upside.

All I can say about Onyema is when I watched him earlier last season, he didn't look like he belonged on the court . Seemed like he needed a redshirt.

This season and the 2nd half of last season, it's like he grew a foot or something. The growth and improvement has been incredible. If it wasn't for the foul trouble, I think he is one of if not THE best player on the team. If we can hold onto him for his senior year, I think his numbers will improve drastically. He will be playing pro ball somewhere in the world just based on his upside.
"Like he grew a foot"? Now he has three feet. He likely will get called for "steps ".

Reactions: FeralFelidae
It would have been nice if Terry had played him a bit more a few years ago...

Regarding the fouls, that hedging on defense doesn't help. It's a nuisance for all of our bigs.
Not to let Terry off the hook, but Z.O. was very raw, was not ready for the speed of the game but he was very strong also got lost in the Terry shuffle of players.

We are lucky to have Z.O.. He and Kalu busted their butts off during the off season and it shows. Kalu is going to be a beast next year.

But the fouls. Kalu, stop pushing off on rebounds and Z.O., you got Shaq enigma, you're the biggest (muscular and height) dude on the court, the zebra's eyes and whistles are attracted to you.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Not to let Terry off the hook, but Z.O. was very raw, was not ready for the speed of the game but he was very strong also got lost in the Terry shuffle of players.

We are lucky to have Z.O.. He and Kalu busted their butts off during the off season and it shows. Kalu is going to be a beast next year.

But the fouls. Kalu, stop pushing off on rebounds and Z.O., you got Shaq enigma, you're the biggest (muscular and height) dude on the court, the zebra's eyes and whistles are attracted to you.
2step, axing's point is that Onyema's freshman year was the COVID year (2020-21), where no one lost a year of availability. Had it been a normal year then everyone would have expected Terry to redshirt an athletically gifted but raw talent like Onyema. As it wasn't a normal year, we expected Terry to give Onyema minutes when he could, including at the end of games that had already been decided. Unfortunately Terry played him in only five games. There were certainly more opportunities that season to let the freshman get his feet wet. Of course managing his bench was one of Terry's many weaknesses.

2step, axing's point is that Onyema's freshman year was the COVID year (2020-21), where no one lost a year of availability. Had it been a normal year then everyone would have expected Terry to redshirt an athletically gifted but raw talent like Onyema. As it wasn't a normal year, we expected Terry to give Onyema minutes when he could, including at the end of games that had already been decided. Unfortunately Terry played him in only five games. There were certainly more opportunities that season to let the freshman get his feet wet. Of course managing his bench was one of Terry's many weaknesses.
Thanks Maniac. I don’t disagree at all. That last sentence nails it on the head.

Those few games I remember he got lost a few times but yes, he should’ve played him more to get better.

Onyena is struggling right now. He has taken a few good steps, but there is still a long way to go. Goldings defense and lack of athletic big utilization on offense are not doing him any favors either.

Golding needs a playmaker at the 4 who can score and provide weak side defense. The 5 needs to rebound, block shots and and finish. Maybe it's time to get Sibley and Kalu in there at the 4 and 5 together. Bring Onyema off the bench with McKinney for energy and burst.

Last edited:
Onyena is struggling right now. He has taken a few good steps, but there is still a long way to go. Goldings defense and lack of athletic big utilization on offense are not doing him any favors either.

Golding needs a playmaker at the 4 who can score and provide weak side defense. The 5 needs to rebound, block shots and and finish. Maybe it's time to get Sibley and Kalu in there together at the 4 and 5 together. Bring Onyema off the bench with McKinney for energy and burst.
I know he’s new to the 3, at least under Golding, however Sibley has got to be the biggest disappointment up to this point. He is so invisible at times, and we can’t afford for him to be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT