ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion Bieniemy or Boum

Who would you rather have handling the ball in the last three minutes of a game.

Bienemy
Boum

Someone else? UNT's defense was either really stifling or our guys simply can't handle pressure. I'm not sure which.

Agree, I think a couple of games could have had different results because we have been pressing and being selfish in the final minutes of games. I hope they can get it fixed. They have enough talent to pull it together.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Do they really have enough talent though?

Williams hasn’t been more than average
Boum has been good
Kennedy is one dimensional on offense
Bienemy has been a good pg
Agnew is inconsistent ( honestly I think could be good)
Odigie — no idea what’s happened to him
Verhouven— below average scorer

we don’t have a star on this team and we have very little to rely on coming from the bench

what talent?

Reactions: Lil_Train
We have plenty of good talent on this team. Players do need to make shots and execute, but coaching is what takes a team over the top.

Last edited:
One of the issues that I see is the lack of a guy who can consistently get a good shot when the team needs a score. We've seen that Boum is much better as a catch and shoot guy, as opposed to a dribble drive finisher. I'm not sure I have ever seen Boum drive and dish. He gets in trouble when he tries to do too much.

The position that is really killing us is at the 3. We are getting very little offensive production at that spot. Kennedy has been, at best, extremely inconsistent. His three point shooting percentage is lousy. In essence, playing Verhoeven and Kennedy at the same time means opposing teams are playing 5 on 3 when defending. Agnew and Sjolund mask some of the deficiencies at the 3, but it isn't enough. Without another scoring option, we get Boum trying to do too much. There are clear coaching issues as well, but personnel wise, I question that 3 position moving forward.

One of the issues that I see is the lack of a guy who can consistently get a good shot when the team needs a score. We've seen that Boum is much better as a catch and shoot guy, as opposed to a dribble drive finisher. I'm not sure I have ever seen Boum drive and dish. He gets in trouble when he tries to do too much.

The position that is really killing us is at the 3. We are getting very little offensive production at that spot. Kennedy has been, at best, extremely inconsistent. His three point shooting percentage is lousy. In essence, playing Verhoeven and Kennedy at the same time means opposing teams are playing 5 on 3 when defending. Agnew and Sjolund mask some of the deficiencies at the 3, but it isn't enough. Without another scoring option, we get Boum trying to do too much. There are clear coaching issues as well, but personnel wise, I question that 3 position moving forward.
I would start Sjolund at the 3 to help 3pt scoring and interior defense. He can rebound just as well as Kennedy with equal minutes. I'm also putting in Onyema behind Tydus until he is ready to take over. I really don't see any reason not to play Onyema at this point. Bieniemy needs finishers so he can create off the dribble and drives.

If I am on the court with them, neither, because I know there won't be a pass.
I think you are wrong about Bieniemy. He and Sjolund have worked very well together on drives. JB has created many open shots for us, but we either miss them or have no trailers (except for Sjolund). Wish I new how to obtain video and show these plays.

I think JB and is perfect for pick and roll with Sjolund if he is playing the 4. Put Boum or Agnew or Hess around the perimiter and BW as the trailer/rebounder. Just one option on offense.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I would start Sjolund at the 3 to help 3pt scoring and interior defense. He can rebound just as well as Kennedy with equal minutes. I'm also putting in Onyema behind Tydus until he is ready to take over. I really don't see any reason not to play Onyema at this point. Bieniemy needs finishers so he can create off the dribble and drives.
On Sjolund, I don't think he has enough lateral quickness to defend most 3's; against 4's, he gets over powered. On offense, he is almost entirely a spot up shooter. He really needs to develop some type of dribble drive game to become effective at this level.

On Onyema, if Terry didn't play him a minute in the blowout in the first game against UNT, I think there is very little chance we get to see him this year. I guess Terry wants to reward Odigie for being one of the few guys who have stuck around. That said, I can't imagine that Terry envisions Odigie as any type of replacement for Williams.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I would prefer Bienemy handling the ball and taking it to the basket creating opportunities for Boum and BW. He makes much better decisions with the ball and was the reason they brought him in. Boum forces too much although he mostly gets fouled and makes his free throws. I feel he would contribute more if he has open shots or gets his teammates involved. Don’t misunderstand I like his game but I think he would be even better if he didn’t force things and let the game come to him.

On Sjolund, I don't think he has enough lateral quickness to defend most 3's; against 4's, he gets over powered. On offense, he is almost entirely a spot up shooter. He really needs to develop some type of dribble drive game to become effective at this level.

On Onyema, if Terry didn't play him a minute in the blowout in the first game against UNT, I think there is very little chance we get to see him this year. I guess Terry wants to reward Odigie for being one of the few guys who have stuck around. That said, I can't imagine that Terry envisions Odigie as any type of replacement for Williams.
Yeah each player has their pros and cons, but thats why as a coach you have to design a few options on offense and defense to excentuate the good and hide the bad. Create ways to utilize their skills. Mix and match to what you need and coach the players to execute.

Guess what Sjolund may not have lateral quickness to be a great defender at the 3, but what opponent has a 3 to guard him? He may not be that strong at the 4, but yet he seems to be our best rim defender so far. It just depends on how things go. Making adjustments is part of coaching and playing at this level.

Terry is very narrow minded and it shows. I dont trust that Terry is doing the team and Onyema any favors by not giving him a few minutes where we could really use his talent. I understand the best players should play, but Vuk has done zero in games to earn minutes and we all know that Efe is a total match up player only.

BTW when was the last time we ran a set play for an alley oop under Terry? And I thought CTF's offense was boring...

Last edited:
Yeah each player has their pros and cons, but thats why as a coach you have to design a few options on offense and defense to excentuate the good and hide the bad. Create ways to utilize their skills. Mix and match to what you need and coach the players to execute.

Guess what Sjolund may not have lateral quickness to be a great defender at the 3, but what opponent has a 3 to guard him? He may not be that strong at the 4, but yet he seems to be our best rim defender so far. It just depends on how things go. Making adjustments is part of coaching and playing at this level.

Terry is very narrow minded and it shows. I dont trust that Terry is doing the team and Onyema any favors by not giving him a few minutes where we could really use his talent. I understand the best players should play, but Vuk has done zero in games to earn minutes and we all know that Efe is a total match up player only.

BTW when was the last time we ran a set play for an alley oop under Terry?
Good take axing. I agree Terry is stubborn to a fault, no doubt. His coaching leaves a lot to be desired, and I think his staff is probably the weakest we have seen that I can remember. Coaching is a problem, but in my opinion, so is the personnel. I don't see an overwhelming talent advantage against other CUSA teams.

Looking at a guy like Sjolund, for example, if I was an opposing coach, I wouldn't see a guy who is a problem to defend. He's a a shooter, but he can't put the ball on the floor. He wants to play the three, but has big issues with any type of ball pressure. That is a pretty big con, in my opinion. I do agree that having JB and Sjolund in a pick and roll action could be a possible option. But like you said, that would mean Terry trying to actually implement a new element to the offense.

Odigie — no idea what’s happened to him
He's probably near the top of the team in points per minute played.

The problem is the number of minutes played. Coach must think he's too much of a liability on defense to justify using him for offense.

Bienemy. However, UNT d was stifling and MaCasland drew up a great defense. From a soft full court press to slow down guards to flex type 3-2 zone.

Williams & Verhoven failed to use their pump n dip, head fakes, turn around (to weakside) shooting. They've played against waaaaaaay better big men and done better.

This game reminded me of UTEP v La Tech in football over the years: They seemed to have had free rent in their heads.

Terry has lost to 3 CUSA teams now who were clearly inferior athletic wise and somehow tripped up against them?

Terry needs to watch some Calapari ball and come out of the gates throwing punches and don't let off the gas.

Does it really matter when it’s Terry drawing up the final play?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT