ADVERTISEMENT

OT : ALL THINGS SOCCER (-) WC and EURO CUP 😜

USMNT 3rd behind Mexico and Canada (tied with Canada but by virtue of tie with them at home they are 2nd).

Hopefully everybody his healthy and smart next window.

Watching the Post Game on Paramount Plus, Clint Dempsey, Charlie Davies, and Onweyu, are talking about how the us has their #9 spot solidified going forward. The host asked about Seargent and Clint said he goes back to England to grind but Pepi is now the standard. He did more in 90 minutes than any US striker has done all summer.

Brooks out
I think we may have seen the last of brooks on the national team. He just plays way too far back for the style of play of these young kids we got. He holds the back line way too far back and it just creates big gaps for the midfield. He did pull up one time (I don't know why) and he gave Honduras a goal. I don't understand his play, he's always out of position

Last edited:
I think we may have seen the last of brooks on the national team. He just plays way too far back for the style of play of these young kids we got. He holds the back line way too far back and it just creates big gaps for the midfield. He did pull up one time (I don't know why) and he gave Honduras a goal. I don't understand his play, he's always out of position
Brooks is an elite Center Back. However, he struggles against these small, crafty, forwards in Concacaf. He is built for Europe, the lanky strikers, and the crosses into the box. He may not be the best Center back when we play teams like Panama and Honduras. But if we get into the World Cup, we need a Center Back like him to play teams like Poland for example.

Brooks is an elite Center Back. However, he struggles against these small, crafty, forwards in Concacaf. He is built for Europe, the lanky strikers, and the crosses into the box. He may not be the best Center back when we play teams like Panama and Honduras. But if we get into the World Cup, we need a Center Back like him to play teams like Poland for example.
You’re being a little too generous calling Brooks elite. An elite player would lock down Honduran/CONCACAF level players all day/every day. Whatever pairing they go with consistency is the key. It’s hard right now with COVID and injuries but those back lines need to play with each other as much as possible.

You’re being a little too generous calling Brooks elite. An elite player would lock down Honduran/CONCACAF level players all day/every day. Whatever pairing they go with consistency is the key. It’s hard right now with COVID and injuries but those back lines need to play with each other as much as possible.

Elite as in 250 Bundesliga appearances. Not saying he's World Class. But that why you call up 23+ guys. Big Center Backs for the US like Onyewu, Lalas, Geoff Cameron, Goodson....they all struggle in Concacaf. The US does better defensively with speedier defenders in this region. But Brooks still has a role on this team for 2022. He's 28, he's 6'4, and when we go up against European teams, he will show his quality.

Elite as in 250 Bundesliga appearances. Not saying he's World Class. But that why you call up 23+ guys. Big Center Backs for the US like Onyewu, Lalas, Geoff Cameron, Goodson....they all struggle in Concacaf. The US does better defensively with speedier defenders in this region. But Brooks still has a role on this team for 2022. He's 28, he's 6'4, and when we go up against European teams, he will show his quality.
John Brooks plays in the Bundesliga, that’s good enough for me. Look at the last 3 goal scorers - Pepi, Aaronsen, and Lleget. Aaronsen just moved, but they all recently played in MLS. Matt Turner plays in MLS.

Josh Sargent is trash. Pepi did more than him in one half, than Josh has ever done. Sargent is not a national team player anymore.

Reactions: kickballpro
I know what you’re saying, and I think in the recent past that claim might’ve been more true, however something is not the same with him.

He used to handle the small crafty dudes from CONCACAF. His marking and attention to detail, has sucked. And aside from set pieces, he offers no push offensively.

I’d rather see Sands, or even Zimmerman at this point.

I do think our left back spot has been solidified. Antonee Robinson is the real deal.

Reactions: Randaddy Miner
Matches against Jamaica, Panama, and Costa Rica were going to be tough with the USMNT at full strength. Hope our home field advantage helps.

lieb

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT