ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Are El Paso's MLS hopes dead?

And what I'm telling you is the Juarez market is not a selling point for any team. It really is almost a non factor. How many big events/projects has El Paso had that you can point to and say, "if not for Juarez and all the zillions of dollars they bring we would not have THIS." I will say when Vicente Fernandez, Alejandro Fernandez, Mana and those types of groups come that's probably in part because of Juarez. But what else?

The point has been made that Liga MX teams have played in the Sun Bowl and I would assume that the game was advertised in Juarez. Mountain Star Sports was talking all that game saying that Chivas game was gonna be a test run to see how people in Juarez and El Paso would support soccer in this city. I bet they felt like they could pull in the people from Juarez and look at what happened? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the game pull in somewhere in the low 20,000s? None of the games featuring Liga MX teams were runaway successes. And they brought in Chivas and Cruz Azul. It's not like they brought in Dorados or Jaguares as the feature team. Juarez and El Paso did not come out in droves like people thought and I think that killed the MLS dream before it started.

A lot of teams and events have been brought to El Paso by people who look at the demographics and say "There are over 1 million people here.. easy money." I distinctly remember the owner of the indoor football team saying to that effect and look at what happened. That thing bombed. So please give me a reason other than, "We bring the Juarez market" and "they spend money here." I would love an MLS team as much you probably do but the reality is Juarez isn't as much of a help as you want to believe. The economics tell you.
You don't have to tell me anything. I'm not the one who used the entire El Paso/Juarez area as a selling point. I'm just a messenger. You're the one who originally said what did El Paso bring to the table that San Antonio and Austin didn't. If you have a problem with it consult with Mountain Star they are the ones who suggested El Paso, Juarez and Las Cruces team up to bring an MLS team.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140616006432/en/Possibility-El-Paso-Major-League-Soccer

Once again this is not my reasoning and I'm just relaying the information I have read.

Why not go after a WNBA team or league team? Also isn't there hockey league below the NHL? I think it's AHL

Yes AHL is below the NHL. But we would need a brand new arena first before they would even look at El Paso as a future AHL team. And even if we do have a new arena, it would still be a long shot of getting an AHL team here.

I've done some research and reading more into it and it looks like this was always a pipe dream. Congrats to Mountain Star though for putting forth the effort. However a NASL team is very possible and IDK the interest that Mountain Star has, but NASL has brought El Paso up on many occasions and there is quality soccer played there sometimes on par with MLS at is just one level below. I think this is more realistic, with a stadium only needing to be 10,000 and the ticket price a little lower.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT