ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best/Worst UTEP Professors

Maximus Miner

Rookie
Jul 1, 2005
Just curious for UTEP alumni to reflect back in some of the best and worst professors they had while attending. I’ll start..

Best: Dr. Pineda - His LecturesPretty much made the class ten times better than I thought.
Steve Lama- Fun Multimedia class, learned a lot of cool things and had some fun projects.

Worst: Dr. Espinosa-Engl. Dept. - Couldn’t keep his liberal political views out of his class. Pretty much useless class.
There were a couple of more from the Spanish and Political Science dept., don’t remember there names though lol.

History professor Dr. Etchison made her lectures really interesting.

Dr. Byrd in TV writing, Media Ethics was a no-nonsense bad ass.

Astronomy professor Gronich never changed his tests. Same questions, same order. You could ace his class with someone's old scantrons.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Best: Dr. Webking (undergrad) Dr. Boehmer and Villalobos (grad) both political science. Dr. Fan (East Asia history, undergrad)

I can't think of a "worst" professor, lots of boring ones that must've left since I can't find their profiles.

Dr. Michael Topp, History.... the reason I chose to continue looking more into the people in history long after my graduation.

Worst? Well, I never had a class with Grossman but he annoys me

Reactions: picks up
History- Dr. Charles Ambler made his lectures fun and interesting.

History- Dr. Charles Martin was another great lecturer.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Another good professor I had was Dr Ernesto Chavez. I really enjoyed his Chicano History lectures.

Dr Kruszewski. He is not about "UTEP", he's more, but UTEP is privileged to have him (he still does lecture work. He's retired but is still active in his early 90's). He is about the perseverance of the human soul when things around you go black and people around are you are dying because bad folks are running the country. He was part of the Polish Underground. Opened up my naive eyes and mesmerized me on (international) politics and I read international politics and events with zeal to this day because of him. I think he worked under the Reagan administration for a while.

Reactions: Miners1991
I liked Dr. Maceo Dailey, I took a course on African American studies and it was interesting. I remember he showed us the clip of Marvin Gaye singing the national anthem at the 83 NBA All-Atar game on the first day of class.

History- Dr. Charles Ambler made his lectures fun and interesting.

History- Dr. Charles Martin was another great lecturer.

Damn! I haven’t heard that name in ages. He was one of my soccer coaches when I was about 11 or 12. He was also a pretty good friend of my father’s. Really good guy.

Reactions: Rot and Lil_Train
Damn! I haven’t heard that name in ages. He was one of my soccer coaches when I was about 11 or 12. He was also a pretty good friend of my father’s. Really good guy.

Hackett was good too. He taught all of the European courses which I always liked. Did anyone take Kawashima for History? I always heard he was tough because of his accent.

Reactions: Rot

Ambler had just arrived at UTEP when I took his class in either 95 or 96. The man is a Yale grad and very articulate. UTEP is lucky to have a professor of his caliber.

Did anyone ever take Humanities with Dr. Wren? He had some weird following of students who hung out in his office, carried his books and drank at his house on weekends.

• Wow
When my brother graduated high school, my mom and him enrolled at UTEP. My mom took a humanities class with Dr. Wren and one night he invited my mom and dad for drinks at a bar called wild hares (next to clicks). My dad just ended up calling it the hippy bar.... My dad wore a leather jacket to one of Dr. Best animal fundraisers at the camino and they didn't want to let him in

I can't remember any of my college professors' names. Is that weird? I can name many of my high school teachers and pretty much all of my grade school teachers.

Did anyone ever take Humanities with Dr. Wren? He had some weird following of students who hung out in his office, carried his books and drank at his house on weekends.
Who was the other Humanities professor? The guy who was a Colonel in the Army or something like that.

Let me preface this by saying I started at UTEP in 1969. Got my BS in 1974 and my MS in 1977.

I enjoyed all the math profs I had as an undergraduate. Had couple of turds in grad school (not naming names).

Outside of math, I took an extra history class with Dr. Burke. Might've been my last semester before student teaching. She was great.

But - my favorite professor was Dr. Diana Natalicio. I needed an elective class one semester and signed up for her linguistics class. First time I ever took a self-paced class and really enjoyed it. She was always available to answer questions and made the material interesting.

lieb

• Wow
My 1st semester of Humanities I had Dr. Louden. He died about a year or two ago. He and I didn't get along too well, but I got along great with Dr. Harding the next semester.

I can't remember any of my college professors' names. Is that weird? I can name many of my high school teachers and pretty much all of my grade school teachers.
Same! Maybe it was cause I was hungover or never showed up to most of my classes! Maybe that explains my lot in life. Oh well still have a wife of 35 years and three great kids.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT