ADVERTISEMENT

OT: College Athletics should allow trades

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Instead of having transfers give the player the option for a trade.

If player picks to be traded he gets to play right away. If players decides to transfer then he just sits out the 1 year.

I would love to see trades in college sports.

If player picks to be traded he gets to play right away. If players decides to transfer then he just sits out the 1 year.

Hmm.... so let's say a kid from New York gets traded to Hawai'i.... now he's got to move thousands of miles away and pay for travel and his family will never be able to see him?

Sounds good for a movie plot, not feasible for college athletics.

Hmm.... so let's say a kid from New York gets traded to Hawai'i.... now he's got to move thousands of miles away and pay for travel and his family will never be able to see him?

Sounds good for a movie plot, not feasible for college athletics.

If he gets traded he wont have to pay for anything. There would have to be a lot of rules. Players move around so much now anyways. I wouldnt be surprised if a trade option gets put into college sports AKA Mens basketball and football. The transfer is basically free agency. Oklahoma gets a new transfer QB almost every year.

Great idea!!!!

Colleges should also just hold a draft instead. It’s not fair Duke and North Carolina get all the good players. Zion should have been playing at Chicago St or Alabama A&M. Give the little guys a chance.

I actually thought of a draft but idk how that would work. Once these players start getting paid we might be seeing a draft and trades. If the BCS schools do start their own league and separate themselves from the smaller schools.

If he gets traded he wont have to pay for anything. There would have to be a lot of rules. Players move around so much now anyways. I wouldnt be surprised if a trade option gets put into college sports AKA Mens basketball and football. The transfer is basically free agency. Oklahoma gets a new transfer QB almost every year.

Yeah, that will never happen

Reactions: Autograph Boy
I think what should happen is that any kid can transfer one time without any penalty and immediately be eligible... a second transfer (exception of coaching changes) would require a player to sit out a year or possibly two so transfers start having some meaning and consequences

Reactions: Dmanminer
Oh, and Fili, terrible idea. Colleges don't own their student athletes, they're free to go where they want, as it should be.[/Q

I like the idea you guys just dont think outside the box. Once these players start getting paid in college, its going to change eveyrthing.

"Good news, you're being transferred to Duke!"

"Coach, I'm a walkon who got an academic scholarship. I can't pay the tuition at one of the most expensive universities in the country thousands of miles from my home here in Idaho."

"Well tough. Your fault for wanting to transfer "

Towelie.gif

The portal and current scenario is good, not optimal, but good. Sure, the schools are in it to make money at the D1 level; however, you can declare and sign if not picked up or go over seas that pay well also. Your proposal will tip it totally away from the schools and basically neuter coaches.

"I'm sorry, son. You've been traded to East Northwestern New Mexico Polytechnic for a case of green chilies and the queso recipe from La Posta."

Reactions: MinerManiac
You guys make fun now. But you will see it will happen once players start getting paid. Its just a matter of time.

You guys make fun now. But you will see it will happen once players start getting paid. Its just a matter of time.

Won’t happen. Despite the lack of attention to it, education is the avenue that even provides the means for a kid to play cbb. Even the NCAA, as powerful of an organization as it is, can’t dictate where a kid earns that education from.

Won’t happen. Despite the lack of attention to it, education is the avenue that even provides the means for a kid to play cbb. Even the NCAA, as powerful of an organization as it is, can’t dictate where a kid earns that education from.

Haha education sure. NCAA doesnt care about education. Kyrie Irving went to Duke and he thinks the earth is flat.

Haha education sure. NCAA doesnt care about education. Kyrie Irving went to Duke and he thinks the earth is flat.

What I’m saying is that they can’t set up a system that dictates where a kid gets his education from, where that kid doesn’t have choice in the matter. Not arguing that they give a shit but they still have to operate within their legal limits.

What I’m saying is that they can’t set up a system that dictates where a kid gets his education from. Not arguing that they give a shit but they still have to operate within their legal limits.

Think once the big schools separate themselves from the smaller schools. Like the SECs and Big Tens. Its going to be ran like a professional league with the option to get a college degree. I could see where they make a rule they can make trades but only within those schools. The college players will need to start its own union just like the NBA players. Its going too get ugly.

Think once the big schools separate themselves from the smaller schools. Like the SECs and Big Tens. Its going to be ran like a professional league with the option to get a college degree. I could see where they make a rule they can make trades but only within those schools. The college players will need to start its own union just like the NBA players. Its going too get ugly.

I guess nothing would surprise me, especially with the amount of money involved in college athletics (fb and bb), but I still don’t see it happening like that. I’ve been wrong before, though.

You can still be smart and a functioning human being and still have an outrageous thought or two. It’s also hilarious you have a problem with someone thinking the Earth is flat, but come up with some of the stuff you do.

Yep. Plus what happens if a kid chooses a school because they are a top 3 engineering school, but gets traded to a school that has a terrible engineering program. or doesn't even have an engineering program. The NCAA can't tell just tell the kid ,oh well, looks like you have to change majors now. Trades will never happen in the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT