ADVERTISEMENT

OT: College football is back

Sorry I meant 59-3 (after Texas took their foot off 2nd half). I would much rather play in a fairly competitive game then an absolute dud blowout. And yes I know they are P5.
The game was never in doubt. SMU enjoyed a four possession lead from the first quarter until the final whistle. UNT and SMU are supposed to be at the same competitive level. They both have good coaches and have had top g5 recruiting classes in Texas.

UTEP and ULM are in somewhat similar competitive levels. IMO they’re a level above us. We’re a bottom table and they compete for a mid table spot.

I guarantee you if we play ULM the same way UNT played SMU no one would call it a fairly competitive game. They would call it what it was, a blowout loss.

The game was never in doubt. SMU enjoyed a four possession lead from the first quarter until the final whistle. UNT and SMU are supposed to be at the same competitive level. They both have good coaches and have had top g5 recruiting classes in Texas.

UTEP and ULM are in somewhat similar competitive levels. IMO they’re a level above us. We’re a bottom table and they compete for a mid table spot.

I guarantee you if we play ULM the same way UNT played SMU no one would call it a fairly competitive game. They would call it what it was, a blowout loss.
I want UTEP to win 65-35. If we get blown out I will be ok too since it will be one week closer to Dimel's last game.

Reactions: TxRdKiller

Texas or SFA, I expect UTEP coaches to have their team "bright eye'd and bushy tailed" and ready to go.

BTW, did anyone catch the starting ACU rb losing his lunch during the opening? One play he got tackled, got on his hands and knees and tossed his cookies, went back to the huddle and tossed the rest.

If UTEP can just get through Saturday's game, then I feel that our Athletic Department will have done as well as possible for the non-conference this season, given all of the circumstances. We picked up our large pay check from UT, we picked up a return home game from ULM to be scheduled in a non-covid year, and of course we were also able to add 2(maybe even 3) much needed wins as well.

I do have a feeling that UTEP is due to have some type of COVID issue(possibly even after this ULM/La. Tech back to back road swing), but at least at that point it would only be a conference game jeopardized(which is easier to reschedule and also doesn't have the same financial maneuvering as a non-conference contract).

The other question is that the Big Ten, MWC, and PAC 12 are all potentially planning on coming back and playing 8 games in 8 straight weeks. That doesn't leave any room for error and given the number of randomly cancelled games, one would think that some of those schools might only get in 6 or 7 games this season(if 1 or 2 get canceled). As a UTEP fan and a program that needs experience to get better, I am glad that we might get the chance to potentially have anywhere between 50% to 100% more games than some other schools will get out of this season.

Last edited:
If UTEP can just get through Saturday's game, then I feel that our Athletic Department will have done as well as possible for the non-conference this season, given all of the circumstances. We picked up our large pay check from UT, we picked up a return home game from ULM to be scheduled in a non-covid year, and of course we were also able to add 2(maybe even 3) much needed wins in as well.

I do have a feeling that UTEP is due to have some type of COVID issue(possibly even after this ULM/La. Tech back to back road swing), but at least at that point it would only be a conference game jeopardized(which is easier to reschedule and also doesn't have the same financial maneuvering as a non-conference contract).

The other question is that the Big Ten, MWC, and PAC 12 are all potentially planning on coming back and playing 8 games in 8 straight weeks. That doesn't leave any room for error and given the number of randomly cancelled games, one would think that some of those schools might only get in 6 or 7 games this season(if 1 or 2 get canceled). As a UTEP fan and a program that needs experience to get better, I am glad that we might get the chance to potentially have anywhere between 60% to 100% more games that some other schools will get out of this season.

I agree. Senter/UTEP get an “A” for the 2020 season so far. Though I would have played BYU instead of one of the FCS schools. Maybe it was possible, maybe not. I just would have done that differently.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Air Force is the only exception to the MWC as they are playing 2 games:
Navy on 10/3 and Army on 11/7.

I don't know how you would get your team ready to play like that.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I’m happy we didn’t help BYU complete their schedule. F those fools. Aside from the bowl game they’ve had zero interest in doing a series with us. Add in a reduced payout and no thank you. I’m happy with our grinded out home win. If the 6k averaged $20 per ticket then the gate easily handled the payout for ACU.

If we can’t get bowl eligible now...that ancient burial site theory is legit!

Is Tio Bernie considering opening up the Sun Bowl again?

Reactions: kickballpro
All this means is that a 2-6 Kansas team will go bowling over a 5-5 UTEP team
That's true but it also means that if the NM Bowl wants a 4-6 UTEP over a 5-5 UTSA they can do that. ESPN bowls will be played due to the need for tv inventory so if UTEP can win 5 or more there is a good chance for the Miners to go bowling since CUSA has 6 or 7 ties to bowls.

Reactions: JCorona
As of now there are about 80 bowl slots w ith only 75 teams playing. Other conferences are planning to start playing in late Oct but no guarantee they will get things going.

So in reality, you could actually have the toilet bowl this year. The 2 worst football teams playing each other, or the top 2 in the ESPN bottom 10.
I hope to God that UTEP wins more games, but it is entirely possible that they may not. I can see Senter right now bragging how his hire Dimel guided UTEP to a bowl game.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
So in reality, you could actually have the toilet bowl this year. The 2 worst football teams playing each other, or the top 2 in the ESPN bottom 10.
I hope to God that UTEP wins more games, but it is entirely possible that they may not. I can see Senter right now bragging how his hire Dimel guided UTEP to a bowl game.
Actually the current top 2 in the bottom 10 are ULM and UTEP. So I guess this is our bowl game, just a little early.

Yes, but we're playing. We're Miner fans Wis; it's not about the glass half full, but rather is there tequila in it?

no-sports-memes2-1584547307501.jpg

Reactions: utep-piggy
That's true but it also means that if the NM Bowl wants a 4-6 UTEP over a 5-5 UTSA they can do that. ESPN bowls will be played due to the need for tv inventory so if UTEP can win 5 or more there is a good chance for the Miners to go bowling since CUSA has 6 or 7 ties to bowls.
That extra guaranteed win will go a lot further than a guaranteed loss would have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT