ADVERTISEMENT

OT: College football is back

Yes we have been over this. The point you're missing is that he was a proven winner who was unable to produce a winning season after the first two years. History shows us that hiring another proven winner will most like net the same result of failure in the end.
You’re missing the part where we fire him after a few bad years instead of letting it go on for seven years.

If we had fired MP after year 6 this job would have attracted many qualified coaches that could continue what he started. We were still getting over 30k and were on the cusp of going from mediocre to conference contenders.

Yes we have been over this. The point you're missing is that he was a proven winner who was unable to produce a winning season after the first two years. History shows us that hiring another proven winner will most like net the same result of failure in the end.

Right and we can argue for days about the dudes Nord left for him during those 2 seasons.

Price was a national coach of the year and got the Alabama job! He couldn’t even make it work here.

That’s fine. I am saying, I don’t think anyone has considered KSt, Iowa St, Louisiana, and some others “bottom 25 programs” for a long time. Those are reserved for bad G5 schools like Eastern Michigan, UTEP, and so on.
Back in 2012 they were. How things can change in a decade.

I don’t think none of those teams considered dropping to G5/FCS/D2. A lot of them are experiencing success now.

Which teams from that list are you saying are no longer losers? I bet you can trace their improvements to increased revenue, which lead to improved facilities. CUSA has gone backwards in revenue since the good teams left to join AAC in 2013.

Which teams from that list are you saying are no longer losers? I bet you can trace their improvements to increased revenue, which lead to improved facilities. CUSA has gone backwards in revenue since the good teams left to join AAC in 2013.
The ones in our conference that have won four out of the last four conference championships.

You’re missing the part where we fire him after a few bad years instead of letting it go on for seven years.

If we had fired MP after year 6 this job would have attracted many qualified coaches that could continue what he started. We were still getting over 30k and were on the cusp of going from mediocre to conference contenders.

Based on what information are you saying that other good coaches would have been interested in the position? That's just you guessing. We are not getting a better coach than Price pretty much ever! I don't think you understand just how well respected he was in the coach industry. Coaches would seek him out to get his ideas on passing schemes. Dude was a genius! He turned Washington State into a winner. That was probably the worst high major job in the country at the time. Not to mention how hard it is to recruit to that place. Back then you couldn't even get a flight into there. Nearest airport was a 2 hour bus ride away.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
The ones in our conference that have won four out of the last four conference championships.

Both UAB and FAU have be pouring money into upgrading their facilities. Quick google search and you can see every school you can think of on that list has had an influx of serious money to improve their facilities.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I’m going to step out of this debate. The next Urban Meyer or Nick Saban is out there. Probably multiples. They’re an assistant at Midwestern St or a grad assistant at Eastern Washington, or something. Will they end up at UTEP? Very slim chance.

A guy who Alabama thought was good enough, couldn’t make it here, it’s very unlikely another highly regarded coach will ever step foot here again.

UTEP’s future FBS prospects will have to rely on coaches that just aren’t any good and will have to have tremendous luck to turn the program around.

We can keep doing the same thing over and over (insanity) or try something different.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I’m going to step out of this debate. The next Urban Meyer or Nick Saban is out there. Probably multiples. They’re an assistant at Midwestern St or a grad assistant at Eastern Washington, or something. Will they end up at UTEP? Very slim chance.

A guy who Alabama thought was good enough, couldn’t make it here, it’s very unlikely another highly regarded coach will ever step foot here again.

UTEP’s future FBS prospects will have to rely on coaches that just aren’t any good and will have to have tremendous luck to turn the program around.

We can keep doing the same thing over and over (insanity) or try something different.
Sounds good. The plan is to drop to FCS and lure the next Saban and Meyers so we can compete for a national championship with a team full of EP kids.

Both UAB and FAU have be pouring money into upgrading their facilities. Quick google search and you can see every school you can think of on that list has had an influx of serious money to improve their facilities.
You know what happened first? They hired coaches that could win immediately. FAU’s facilities opened last year and UABs are under construction. Seems like once you start winning the money pours in for projects.

You know what happened first? They hired coaches that could win immediately. FAU’s facilities opened last year and UABs are under construction. Seems like once you start winning the money pours in for projects.

Wrong. They use the information and renderings to show recruits. That sells them on the idea that the school is backing the program with more than just words. Lane Kiffin had facility improvements written into his contract from day one. Also, FAU and UAB started dumping money into their programs in 2017. UAB remodeled the student housing for athletes in 2016.

Another thing that must be taken into account is the surrounding talent pool. UTEP has the worst local talent pool in the conference. So if we want to get kids to come from out of area, we really need to be on top of the arms race in conference and not below average. I cant really think of a single recruiting advantage that we have over the other teams in our conference. Maybe the stadium view, but I not sure kids care about that. Can you think of one?

Last edited:
Wrong. They use the information and renderings to show recruits. That sells them on the idea that the school is backing the program with more than just words. Lane Kiffin had facility improvements written into his contract from day one. Also, FAU and UAB started dumping money into their programs in 2017. UAB remodeled the student housing for athletes in 2016.

Another thing that must be taken into account is the surrounding talent pool. UTEP has the worst local talent pool in the conference. So if we want to get kids to come from out of area, we really need to be on top of the arms race in conference and not below average. I cant really think of a single recruiting advantage that we have over the other teams in our conference. Maybe the stadium view, but I not sure kids care about that. Can you think of one?
I don’t know about his contract details but I know Lane Kiffin didn’t walk into paradise. He won with what he had. Now FAU reaps the rewards from his short stint.

Do you think our recruiting disadvantages will be erased at the FCS level?

I don’t know about his contract details but I know Lane Kiffin didn’t walk into paradise. He won with what he had. Now FAU reaps the rewards from his short stint.

Do you think our recruiting disadvantages will be erased at the FCS level?

I guess it will depend what conference we play in, but for the most part yes. We'll probably have by far the nicest stadium. Our facilities will be above average for FCS. The local talent pool will be helpful at this level, but probably not to the level as other places. Our talent pool is more suited for D2 in my opinion. Most likely we'll have a top 10 budget in all of FCS as well.

I would prefer to stay at the FBS level if the school was going to commit $100 million over the next 5-10 years on upgrading the facilities, but I just don't see that happening. I understand our current guy is not a great Xs and Os guy, but we have had that before and he couldn't win here. Maybe we can get lucky and strike gold with someone who is ahead of their time with an offensive scheme, but those guys don't come around very often. So, we'll be stuck with recruiting a bunch of underdeveloped players and hoping a few of them turn into studs. We have a few kids on the team that are without a doubt P5 athletically, but they're either physically really small or have very poor technical skill. Maybe one of them will turn into an NFL talent, but that's probably not going to be enough to win with.

Last edited:
F×÷/ social distancing. Jesus, just put a mask on to fake it at least. Of course LSU fans getting butt hurt over criticism.

Cautious is the word. The UK and African variant are in the U.S. and spreading which is why the CDC wants 3 mil/day vaccinated to stay ahead. Thank goodness Texans and Texas business's are telling the gov "thanks, but no thanks" as they wait for the spring-summer numbers to get better. Texans want their HS football, that's for sure.

However, the prognosis is good so I anticipate thousands to attend games in the power conferences at the very least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT