ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Corona virus Questions

This is us beating Alabama 35-34 then taking an intentional safety on the last play of the game.

I don’t agree with it either. The United States is far and away the worst when it comes to COVID cases and deaths yet we’re ready to declare victory. I’m curious to know what healthcare workers and doctors have to say about this.

It's not mandated to wear a mask in public....thas all. The governor never said stop wearing a mask, stop being careful and you must go out to businesses, etc. Each person and business has the right to make their own decisions. Common sense (and medical professionals) say to keep following the previous guidelines and continue the same precautions as previous (even if vaccinated). We have not yet achieved heard immunity.

A year ago when everything went ape shit, the message was we can't overwhelm the hospitals.

Well we did of course.

But now, the rates are down and they're especially down in the elderly population, about 81%.

99.6% of all cases are MILD, and if most of the people in that .4% group can get the vaccine, then I think we are out of the woods as far as overwhelming the system.

Its going to be very interesting to see how Texas looks in a Month.

Keep those masks on El Paso!

Is it not when there is close to 1% (rolling 7 day average positivity) or just slightly above that we can see almost back to normal activity? They're pumping out the vaccines at the barn.

As far as treatment there is good news on a pill.

"German pharmaceutical giant Merck and a US partner reported promising results Saturday in trials of a drug administered orally to fight Covid-19, saying it helps reduce patients' viral load.

"At a time where there is unmet need for antiviral treatments against SARS-CoV-2, we are encouraged by these preliminary data," said Wendy Painter, chief medical officer of the US firm, Ridgeback Biotherapeutics.

In January, Merck halted work on two Covid vaccine candidates but has pressed on with research into two products to treat the disease, including a pill-based one called molnupiravir, which it has developed with Ridgeback Biotherapeutics. "

There us an old saying, attributed to Mark Twain: "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics." The graph above entitled "Mask Usage vs Daily Positive Cases" is a great example of a case where statistics are worse than a "damned lie".

Not that I don't believe the numbers. I have no reason to doubt them. All good statistics are simply factual numbers. So how do statistics become worse than damned lies? In their interpretation. Justin Hart completely ignores the fact that while mask use stayed relatively constant while the number of daily cases rose and fell, there were other factors that could have had an affect on the spread of COVID. The summer surge came as states started reopening because of COVID, and this huge winter surge that we had was predicted ahead of time, as experts warned that large holiday gatherings would cause a huge uptick in the number of cases. If Mr. Hart had data comparing mask wearers versus non-mask wearers performing similar functions we might have something for which we could determinethe usefulness of masks. But the chart he showed is completely worthless.

Son of a bitch. I just found out I will be going to school tomorrow with a shitload of kids who have the choice to wear masks...or not.

There are two districts in my city. My wife works for one and I work for the other. My wife’s district took a survey of parents’ opinions on the matter and teachers’ opinion on the matter. 78% of teachers want to keep the mask mandate and 72% of parents want to do the same. Their board took that into consideration and as a result, district policy remains that all have to wear a mask.

On the other hand, the district I’m in decided not to get feedback from teachers and or parents and the board voted to remove the mask mandate.

WTF? We are about to round the corner having access to the vaccine. Why not take precaution and finish the school year out wearing masks? I just don’t get putting so many people at risk. At all. SMH!!

By the way, I just got my first dose of the vaccine today, as did most of my district. So close to the “finish line” yet so far away.

Son of a bitch. I just found out I will be going to school tomorrow with a shitload of kids who have the choice to wear masks...or not.

There are two districts in my city. My wife works for one and I work for the other. My wife’s district took a survey of parents’ opinions on the matter and teachers’ opinion on the matter. 78% of teachers want to keep the mask mandate and 72% of parents want to do the same. Their board took that into consideration and as a result, district policy remains that all have to wear a mask.

On the other hand, the district I’m in decided not to get feedback from teachers and or parents and the board voted to remove the mask mandate.

WTF? We are about to round the corner having access to the vaccine. Why not take precaution and finish the school year out wearing masks? I just don’t get putting so many people at risk. At all. SMH!!

By the way, I just got my first dose of the vaccine today, as did most of my district. So close to the “finish line” yet so far away.
Because freedom!

Hang in there and take care of yourself. Tough pill to swallow. Doesn't make much sense.

Damn Fanatico, that sucks. However, even with the first dose the efficacy is way above fifty percent if I read the news correctly. It doesn't guarantee you will not get Covid, only that you will not end up on your backside with a tube down your throat.

All the talk of needed upgrades to school ventilation, my kid is at Austin and over the past two years they installed all new HVAC as part of EPISD voter approved upgrades, whew!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
There us an old saying, attributed to Mark Twain: "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics." The graph above entitled "Mask Usage vs Daily Positive Cases" is a great example of a case where statistics are worse than a "damned lie".

Not that I don't believe the numbers. I have no reason to doubt them. All good statistics are simply factual numbers. So how do statistics become worse than damned lies? In their interpretation. Justin Hart completely ignores the fact that while mask use stayed relatively constant while the number of daily cases rose and fell, there were other factors that could have had an affect on the spread of COVID. The summer surge came as states started reopening because of COVID, and this huge winter surge that we had was predicted ahead of time, as experts warned that large holiday gatherings would cause a huge uptick in the number of cases. If Mr. Hart had data comparing mask wearers versus non-mask wearers performing similar functions we might have something for which we could determinethe usefulness of masks. But the chart he showed is completely worthless.

MinerManiac knows. Dude is smart. I look forward to always reading his takes posts abiut UTEP basketball. This takedown of a stats and science ignorant shit twitter post was enjoyable as well.

Just to add to it, I work at a major medical center in Dallas. We've had very little employee to employee, patient to doctor/nurses cases despite us remaining "open" and taking care of Covid pts for the last year. why? masks work. most of the cases that have been acquired at work were in lunch rooms when people were eating with THEIR MASKS OFF. it led to stricter enforcement of mask wearing policies and more social distancing in the staff and lunchrooms. anyone who argues otherwise, especially if you've never taken care of a covid patient has no idea and needs shut their fat trap.

Lastly, wearing a mask isn't just about protecting yourself it's about protecting all of those around you. surgical and those cotton masks don't work as well if you are around a patient that has active covid unless that patient is wearing a mask as well. That's why we wear N95s when taking care of pts w active Covid. so stop with the argument that "those that want to wear masks can wear masks, and those that don't want to wear them have a right to do so because of MUH FrEedumb.". you don't have the right to get all of those around you sick. not everyone that should get the vaccine is currently able to get it and I have a number of patients for whom the vaccine might be ineffective because of the medications that they take.

Last edited:
Maniac is a super nice guy, too.

"EL PASO, Texas -- The number of new coronavirus cases grew by 156 on Sunday, but health officials said there were no new deaths to report.

The total number of pandemic deaths remains at 2,323, while there are currently 2,557 active cases.

As of Sunday morning, 226 El Pasoans remained hospitalized due to the virus, which was unchanged from Saturday. Of those, 74 were listed in the intensive care and 49 requiring the use of ventilators.

Those are the lowest hospitalization numbers since early October, El Paso Matters CEO Bob Moore noted in his weekly Covid-19 analysis."

Buddy of mine got his shot in Fort Davis. Got in on his first time. Staff stated that they can not turn away El Pasoans/Texans if their community misses appointment or doesn't sign up for their allotments. They have to use the vaccine.

This is true and happening in parts of west Texas and pan handle.

7azc0hvhxfp61.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT