ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID 19's Effects Can be Far Reaching

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
In a previous thread about COVID 19 and schools, it was pointed out that most students are young and healthy, and the vast majority will recover fully and quickly from what we know as the standard COVID 19 symptoms: fever, sore throat, headaches, cough, chest pains, loss of smell and taste, etc. Others pointed out that those students might have close contact with elderly family members and friends and other high risk individuals to whom they could spread the virus, which is true. That isn't the only potential danger of exposing students to the virus, however.

I posted here a while ago (in the mindless QAnon thread) that my son, a PhD candidate at Arizona State, had caught COVID 19. His first symptoms showed up in mid June, and were not serious enough for hospitalization. He quarantined at home for about two weeks with the symptoms I listed above until they went away, took another test that showed he was still positive for the virus, and then finally later took a test that was negative. All in all he quarantined in his house for about four weeks. We thought that he was completely out of the woods after that, and were relieved.

He told us a few weeks ago that he was having problems sleeping, averaging only about four hours a night, and that this was affecting his ability to concentrate and work in his lab. He called us exactly a week ago, all upset. His sleep had improved a little bit, up to about 6 hours a night, but his cognitive issues were getting worse. He did some research and discovered that over 30% of COVID 19 patients had experienced neurological issues since recovering from the known symptoms, ranging from continued loss of smell, difficulty sleeping, fatigue, confusion, and brain fog on one end (all of which he is experiencing) to seizures, strokes, and brain hemorrhaging on the other.

My wife, oldest son, and I have been here in Tempe since Friday. I've taken him to an appointment with a nurse practitioner, a neurologist, a lab for blood work, and an EEG appointment. He has an appointment scheduled with a neurological psychologist next week and will have an MRI of his brain scheduled hopefully soon, both of which I will unfortunately not be here for, as the rest of us return to San Antonio on Saturday. The medical professionals are now working to determine the severity of his cognitive issues, and testing to see if there is another explanation besides COVID 19. I hope there is another cause and it's treatable, because as all of the medical professionals been pointing out, these post COVID 19 issues are brand new, haven't been researched thoroughly, and no one knows how long they last or if they're treatable.

My son was on track to graduate in December with a PhD in Physics. Unfortunately he has made absolutely no progress on his comprehensive exam or his dissertation in the past two months, and it doesn't appear that he will be able to focus well enough to make significant progress in the very near future. I'm praying that they either find a treatment or his issues heal by themselves very soon, but as of right now I have no idea if he will ever return to normal.

There are other post COVID 19 issues that i have read about, like blood clots and heart issues. There is a reason why this is called a novel virus. It's brand new. There is a lot we still don't know about it. There certainly should be concern even if a young healthy person contracts it.

MinerManiac, very well spoken sir. I can fully understand your concern. I have 3 children at a wide range of ages myself. I hope your son makes a full recovery and provides his great contribution to his family and to our society for which he was on track to do. He sounds like a very solid young man.

I agree that sending kids to school now is too early because of the risks to all, but I also understand that some may not have a choice due to work or other circumstances. We can't beat nature. We can only try to deal with it as best as we possibly can by understanding the most we possibly can.

There is a phenomenon in medicine called anoxic brain injury. This is when the brain is deprived of oxygen for certain periods of time. As you can imagine the severity of it can vary, but it can have many neurological side effects like decreased concentration and memory deficit.

I suspect that most people who quarantine at home for extended periods of time may experience prolonged periods of at least mild hypoxia (low blood oxygen levels), especially during exertion/activity. If you dont have the right equipment to check, then you might never know. As far as how long the symptoms may last, I dont know, but I think if this were the case with your son then he should continue to recover with time.

Hypercoagulation and vascular injury have been another major problem seen in COVID. Hence the issues with blood clots, strokes, etc...

We really don't know the long term effects of the virus on the brain otherwise. Only time will tell and I'm sure some experts are already trying to study this as you eluded.

I'm glad your son is receiving an extensive workup. I would love to know his results and progression towards recovery (if you cared to share and with his permission of course).

Last edited:
Hope your son recovers fully. It pains me to hear stories like this. Praying for his health.

Thanks Dmanminer. I appreciate your prayers and concerns.

MinerManiac, very well spoken sir. I can fully understand your concern. I have 3 children at a wide range of ages myself. I hope your son makes a full recovery and provides his great contribution to his family and to our society for which he was on track to do. He sounds like a very solid young man.

I agree that sending kids to school now is too early because of the risks to all, but I also understand that some may not have a choice due to work or other circumstances. We can't beat nature. We can only try to deal with it as best as we possibly can by understanding the most we possibly can.

There is a phenomenon in medicine called anoxic brain injury. This is when the brain is deprived of oxygen for certain periods of time. As you can imagine the severity of it can vary, but it can have many neurological side effects like decreased concentration and memory deficit.

I suspect that most people who quarantine at home for extended periods of time may experience prolonged periods of at least mild hypoxia (low blood oxygen levels), especially during exertion/activity. If you dont have the right equipment to check, then you might never know. As far as how long the symptoms may last, I dont know, but I think if this were the case with your son then he should continue to recover with time.

Hypercoagulation has been another major problem seen in COVID. Hence the issues with blood clots, strokes, etc...

We really don't know the long term effects of the virus on the brain otherwise. Only time will tell and I'm sure some experts are already trying to study this as you eluded.

I'm glad your son is receiving an extensive workup. I would love to know his results and progression towards recovery (if you cared to share and with his permission of course).

Thanks for your thoughts, axing, I really appreciate them. I know that I'm biased, but I'm expecting great things from him. There are three students in his lab that are considered the experts at various aspects of their research: an equipment expert, a chemistry expert, and my son, the solid state physics expert. I'm hoping that he can return to full form so that he can finish the work for his PhD, and go on to do great things in industry. (Okay, enough fatherly bragging. You're a dad, I'm sure you understand. :))

One of the things his neurologist checked him for was hypoxia. His blood oxygen level is now good, of course no one has any idea how it was before.

I do understand how hard the policies implemented to prevent the spread of COVID 19 are on some people. I have said to family and friends that these policies are a case of placing lives over livelihoods, both of which are important. While I personally find the policies necessary, I fully understand those whose complaints deal with the impact to their jobs, their ability to support their children's education, or their ability to maintain the business they have worked so hard to create. What I do not have much tolerance for are those they claim that the virus is a hoax, or that the policies are part of an unnecessary panic, or that wearing a mask is a violation of their rights, or that it's okay for certain segments of the population to test positive because they are likely to recover, etc. COVID 19 is real, it is a major health concern, and while some may not have much to worry about in terms of life and death if they catch it, there are still potential concerns that can manifest themselves later.

In a previous thread about COVID 19 and schools, it was pointed out that most students are young and healthy, and the vast majority will recover fully and quickly from what we know as the standard COVID 19 symptoms: fever, sore throat, headaches, cough, chest pains, loss of smell and taste, etc. Others pointed out that those students might have close contact with elderly family members and friends and other high risk individuals to whom they could spread the virus, which is true. That isn't the only potential danger of exposing students to the virus, however.

I posted here a while ago (in the mindless QAnon thread) that my son, a PhD candidate at Arizona State, had caught COVID 19. His first symptoms showed up in mid June, and were not serious enough for hospitalization. He quarantined at home for about two weeks with the symptoms I listed above until they went away, took another test that showed he was still positive for the virus, and then finally later took a test that was negative. All in all he quarantined in his house for about four weeks. We thought that he was completely out of the woods after that, and were relieved.

He told us a few weeks ago that he was having problems sleeping, averaging only about four hours a night, and that this was affecting his ability to concentrate and work in his lab. He called us exactly a week ago, all upset. His sleep had improved a little bit, up to about 6 hours a night, but his cognitive issues were getting worse. He did some research and discovered that over 30% of COVID 19 patients had experienced neurological issues since recovering from the known symptoms, ranging from continued loss of smell, difficulty sleeping, fatigue, confusion, and brain fog on one end (all of which he is experiencing) to seizures, strokes, and brain hemorrhaging on the other.

My wife, oldest son, and I have been here in Tempe since Friday. I've taken him to an appointment with a nurse practitioner, a neurologist, a lab for blood work, and an EEG appointment. He has an appointment scheduled with a neurological psychologist next week and will have an MRI of his brain scheduled hopefully soon, both of which I will unfortunately not be here for, as the rest of us return to San Antonio on Saturday. The medical professionals are now working to determine the severity of his cognitive issues, and testing to see if there is another explanation besides COVID 19. I hope there is another cause and it's treatable, because as all of the medical professionals been pointing out, these post COVID 19 issues are brand new, haven't been researched thoroughly, and no one knows how long they last or if they're treatable.

My son was on track to graduate in December with a PhD in Physics. Unfortunately he has made absolutely no progress on his comprehensive exam or his dissertation in the past two months, and it doesn't appear that he will be able to focus well enough to make significant progress in the very near future. I'm praying that they either find a treatment or his issues heal by themselves very soon, but as of right now I have no idea if he will ever return to normal.

There are other post COVID 19 issues that i have read about, like blood clots and heart issues. There is a reason why this is called a novel virus. It's brand new. There is a lot we still don't know about it. There certainly should be concern even if a young healthy person contracts it.

Maniac, I'm not a religious person but I hope that Mother Earth will see fit to return your son to his normal self and that he can pick back up where he left off even if it's later rather than sooner. My most sincere wishes to you and your family for healing and comfort as you deal with this incredibly difficult situation.

Thanks Dmanminer. I appreciate your prayers and concerns.

Thanks for your thoughts, axing, I really appreciate them. I know that I'm biased, but I'm expecting great things from him. There are three students in his lab that are considered the experts at various aspects of their research: an equipment expert, a chemistry expert, and my son, the solid state physics expert. I'm hoping that he can return to full form so that he can finish the work for his PhD, and go on to do great things in industry. (Okay, enough fatherly bragging. You're a dad, I'm sure you understand. :))

One of the things his neurologist checked him for was hypoxia. His blood oxygen level is now good, of course no one has any idea how it was before.

I do understand how hard the policies implemented to prevent the spread of COVID 19 are on some people. I have said to family and friends that these policies are a case of placing lives over livelihoods, both of which are important. While I personally find the policies necessary, I fully understand those whose complaints deal with the impact to their jobs, their ability to support their children's education, or their ability to maintain the business they have worked so hard to create. What I do not have much tolerance for are those they claim that the virus is a hoax, or that the policies are part of an unnecessary panic, or that wearing a mask is a violation of their rights, or that it's okay for certain segments of the population to test positive because they are likely to recover, etc. COVID 19 is real, it is a major health concern, and while some may not have much to worry about in terms of life and death if they catch it, there are still potential concerns that can manifest themselves later.
Wow Maniac!
Just can't imagine what trauma you are experiencing right now. The fears for his future and the emotions for you and your family are immeasurable. You will be in my thoughts as these days go by. I sincerely hope you are able to announce a positive result to all the hopes and prayers.

There are other post COVID 19 issues that i have read about, like blood clots and heart issues. There is a reason why this is called a novel virus. It's brand new. There is a lot we still don't know about it. There certainly should be concern even if a young healthy person contracts it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting this touching, timely first hand account. It serves as a timely, if disconcerting, reminder for all of us as we hope for life to return to "normal." I wish your son a 100% recovery long term.

Mr. Maniac, your son will be just fine, not only because he got a bunch of miner fans pulling for him, but because he got good DNA.

His symptoms may just be anxiety. Lack of sleep can explain all of them. My coworkers and I, when we wake up and everything isn't perfect we get worried. He'll be just fine. Don't you worry

Mr. Maniac, your son will be just fine, not only because he got a bunch of miner fans pulling for him, but because he got good DNA.

His symptoms may just be anxiety. Lack of sleep can explain all of them. My coworkers and I, when we wake up and everything isn't perfect we get worried. He'll be just fine. Don't you worry
From your words to Gods ears!

Thanks for your kind words, Randaddy, but it's definitely more than just stress and a lack of sleep. My son was given a prescription for hydroxyzine by the nurse practitioner last Friday to help him sleep. Since taking it he has had at least 7 hours of sleep every night. He still has good days and bad days, with today being a really bad day.

My wife, oldest son, and I leave back to San Antonio tomorrow. In the past week I've taken him to the nurse practitioner, a neurologist, a lab for blood work, and to get an EEG. I helped him schedule an appointment with a neurological psychologist next week, and he has to wait for an imaging facility to call him to make an appointment for an MRI. I keep hoping that his brain heals by itself, or that they can find something they can fix, but as of now nobody knows the cause. I keep praying that he returns to his old self soon.

Thanks to everyone here for your thoughts, prayers, concern, and well wishes. They are very much appreciated.

Last edited:
I don’t mean to pry Maniac, and by no means will I be offended if you don’t want to post something so personal to you, but I’ve been wondering how your son is. I hope by now the healing process has become more apparent.

Thanks for your concern FanatiCoog. In my original post I stated that he had seen a nurse practitioner that had given him a medication (hydroxyzine) to help him sleep and had run some blood work that found that he had a vitamin D deficiency for which he is now taking vitamins. He had also seen a neurologist who had given him a simple cognitive test, which he easily passed, had ordered an EEG, an MRI, and referred him to a neuropsychologist. The neurologist is going to wait until all results are in until he consults with him. He is still waiting for the MRI, but at least the neuropsychologist has shared her results with him.

Before I get into that, the hydroxyzine had increased his sleep from about 6 hours per night to 11-12 hours per night. He didn't like oversleeping, so he has stopped taking it as of a week to a week and a half ago or so, and is now getting about 8-9 hours a night, right where he wants to be. Unfortunately, he still wakes up really groggy, grogginess that takes him a while to shake. He has good times, where he feels fully back to normal, and days where his brain feels foggy most of the day. On the days when he does have periods where he feels back to normal, when the brain fog does come he believes that it is more intense then it is on the other days.

Now onto the neuropsychologist visit. He was there for about five hours. While some of it was discussion both before and after, the majority of the time was taking a grueling test of his cognitive abilities. Overall he did really well. He scored a 136 on the Wechsler Intelligence Scale (130 is considered a genius and the score you need to achieve on that scale to become a member of Mensa). There were, however, three areas where he struggled: the speed of processing information, fatigue, and maintaining focus. These are, of course, the issues that he has been complaining about. The neuropsychologist indicated that she believed that the neurologist will be able to prescribe him medication that will help him in these areas, medication that he is more than willing to take if it helps him.

Unfortunately, the neurologist is going to wait for the results of the MRI first. Once the MRI is complete and the neurologist has all of the results I'm hoping that he will be able to put him on a path that will return him to normal.

One final note: before he contracted COVID in mid-June he was on schedule to receive his PhD this December. Unfortunately between being quarantined for several weeks to being unable to focus and process the necessary data, he has lost almost three months' worth of time to work on his comprehensive exam and his dissertation. It now seems certain that he won't be able to graduate until May.

Thanks again to everyone for their concern.

Thanks for your concern FanatiCoog. In my original post I stated that he had seen a nurse practitioner that had given him a medication (hydroxyzine) to help him sleep and had run some blood work that found that he had a vitamin D deficiency for which he is now taking vitamins. He had also seen a neurologist who had given him a simple cognitive test, which he easily passed, had ordered an EEG, an MRI, and referred him to a neuropsychologist. The neurologist is going to wait until all results are in until he consults with him. He is still waiting for the MRI, but at least the neuropsychologist has shared her results with him.

Before I get into that, the hydroxyzine had increased his sleep from about 6 hours per night to 11-12 hours per night. He didn't like oversleeping, so he has stopped taking it as of a week to a week and a half ago or so, and is now getting about 8-9 hours a night, right where he wants to be. Unfortunately, he still wakes up really groggy, grogginess that takes him a while to shake. He has good times, where he feels fully back to normal, and days where his brain feels foggy most of the day. On the days when he does have periods where he feels back to normal, when the brain fog does come he believes that it is more intense then it is on the other days.

Now onto the neuropsychologist visit. He was there for about five hours. While some of it was discussion both before and after, the majority of the time was taking a grueling test of his cognitive abilities. Overall he did really well. He scored a 136 on the Wechsler Intelligence Scale (130 is considered a genius and the score you need to achieve on that scale to become a member of Mensa). There were, however, three areas where he struggled: the speed of processing information, fatigue, and maintaining focus. These are, of course, the issues that he has been complaining about. The neuropsychologist indicated that she believed that the neurologist will be able to prescribe him medication that will help him in these areas, medication that he is more than willing to take if it helps him.

Unfortunately, the neurologist is going to wait for the results of the MRI first. Once the MRI is complete and the neurologist has all of the results I'm hoping that he will be able to put him on a path that will return him to normal.

One final note: before he contracted COVID in mid-June he was on schedule to receive his PhD this December. Unfortunately between being quarantined for several weeks to being unable to focus and process the necessary data, he has lost almost three months' worth of time to work on his comprehensive exam and his dissertation. It now seems certain that he won't be able to graduate until May.

Thanks again to everyone for their concern.

Thanks for the thorough response, MinerManiac. It’s really encouraging to hear that your son has those good days where he seems back to normal. I’m with randaddy on this one, and whereas it may take some time, I bet the good days will continue to increase in frequency as his body/brain gradually heal.

I wish him well.

If anyone is interested here is the latest from my son:

He received the results of the blood work, EEG, and MRI. Everything there checked out fine: no unexpected diseases, tumors, brain injuries, or brain swelling were detected. The neurologist believes that COVID 19 is, indeed, responsible for his cognitive issues. He also guesses that he will return to normal over time, but as this is brand new territory no one knows for sure.

In the meantime he prescribed fluoxetine (more commonly known by the brand name Prozac) to my son. Yes, it is an anti-depressant, but it also stimulates the brain and releases serotonin, and is now also being used for people with cognitive issues. This is the third week that he has been taking the fluoxetine. Last week he felt that his baseline had improved, but that he still had daily crashes where he would be extremely foggy and fatigued for a period of time. This week he has said that his baseline has regressed, and he still has the daily crashes. Hopefully the medication will do what the doctor intended; I've told him not to wait for his scheduled follow up next month to contact the doctor if it doesn't.

Thanks to everyone who has shown interest and concern over what my son is going through.

If anyone is interested here is the latest from my son:

He received the results of the blood work, EEG, and MRI. Everything there checked out fine: no unexpected diseases, tumors, brain injuries, or brain swelling were detected. The neurologist believes that COVID 19 is, indeed, responsible for his cognitive issues. He also guesses that he will return to normal over time, but as this is brand new territory no one knows for sure.

In the meantime he prescribed fluoxetine (more commonly known by the brand name Prozac) to my son. Yes, it is an anti-depressant, but it also stimulates the brain and releases serotonin, and is now also being used for people with cognitive issues. This is the third week that he has been taking the fluoxetine. Last week he felt that his baseline had improved, but that he still had daily crashes where he would be extremely foggy and fatigued for a period of time. This week he has said that his baseline has regressed, and he still has the daily crashes. Hopefully the medication will do what the doctor intended; I've told him not to wait for his scheduled follow up next month to contact the doctor if it doesn't.

Thanks to everyone who has shown interest and concern over what my son is going through.
Much love MM....you and your fam are in my thoughts.

A final update on my son's and long COVID.

The information above was on my son second oldest son Kevin. I am extremely happy to say that I am back in Tempe again for Kevin, but that the news is all good this time. Earlier today Kevin graduated with his PhD in Physics. He is now looking for a job in the semiconductor industry. The cognitive issues that he experienced last year are completely gone. We don't know whether it was the fluoxetine he took, the COVID vaccine he received (some Long Haulers have claimed that their symptoms improved after receiving the vaccine), or if it just healed over time. All we know is that he is back on track. The Long COVID set him back a full year, but he is now back to having a bright future.

Unfortunately he was not my only son to suffer from Long COVID. Back in November of last year my oldest son Ryan caught COVID. After he recovered from the standard symptoms he had many of the cognitive issues Kevin had, plus had issues with his heart racing for no apparent reason. The doctors that he went to in San Antonio were ignorant of the issues that some patients are having with Long COVID, and tried to blame anxiety. Eventually a doctor agreed to prescribe fluoxetine to Ryan after he was told about Kevin, and a cardiologist confirmed the heart racing for no reason, but it was definitely an uphill battle for him to get care. He worked as a graphic designer foe a sports memorabilia company, but they didn't believe him when he told them about the Long COVID symptoms, and they let him go.

The good news is that, like Kevin, he did recover. In August he got a job teaching digital media in high school. He enjoys the new job, and really enjoys the fact that he has the same vacation days as his daughter.

It was a tough time for both of them, but I'm relieved that they're back on track.

The information above was on my son second oldest son Kevin. I am extremely happy to say that I am back in Tempe again for Kevin, but that the news is all good this time. Earlier today Kevin graduated with his PhD in Physics. He is now looking for a job in the semiconductor industry. The cognitive issues that he experienced last year are completely gone. We don't know whether it was the fluoxetine he took, the COVID vaccine he received (some Long Haulers have claimed that their symptoms improved after receiving the vaccine), or if it just healed over time. All we know is that he is back on track. The Long COVID set him back a full year, but he is now back to having a bright future.

Unfortunately he was not my only son to suffer from Long COVID. Back in November of last year my oldest son Ryan caught COVID. After he recovered from the standard symptoms he had many of the cognitive issues Kevin had, plus had issues with his heart racing for no apparent reason. The doctors that he went to in San Antonio were ignorant of the issues that some patients are having with Long COVID, and tried to blame anxiety. Eventually a doctor agreed to prescribe fluoxetine to Ryan after he was told about Kevin, and a cardiologist confirmed the heart racing for no reason, but it was definitely an uphill battle for him to get care. He worked as a graphic designer foe a sports memorabilia company, but they didn't believe him when he told them about the Long COVID symptoms, and they let him go.

The good news is that, like Kevin, he did recover. In August he got a job teaching digital media in high school. He enjoys the new job, and really enjoys the fact that he has the same vacation days as his daughter.

It was a tough time for both of them, but I'm relieved that they're back on track.
****in’ fantastic!! Thanks for the update Maniac. I’m extremely happy for your sons, your family and you. Great news!

Congrats to your son. COVID has been one of the worst things to happen, but working towards getting things back will be great. Hope you have a great holidays.

Reactions: MinerManiac

This is great news! This is a Christmas gift and I'm sure you have to be relieved beyond measure.

Reactions: MinerManiac
My two boys and wife and I have been good(vaxxed). One of my sisters did get infected early, she works at a hospital.

My family caught it within the last three months but my mother in law still hasn’t caught it.

Two of my four sons have not had it. My wife, my two other sons, and I have had it. While I was given the monoclonal antibody treatment (which worked like a charm!), everyone else had had mild cases.

Last month I started experiencing shortness of breath, but tested negative for COVID. (Great!) Turns out I had blot clots in my lungs (Not great.). After being hospitalized for a few days, I'm fine now.

lieb

Two of my four sons have not had it. My wife, my two other sons, and I have had it. While I was given the monoclonal antibody treatment (which worked like a charm!), everyone else had had mild cases.

Last month I started experiencing shortness of breath, but tested negative for COVID. (Great!) Turns out I had blot clots in my lungs (Not great.). After being hospitalized for a few days, I'm fine now.

lieb

Stay well, old friend!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT