ADVERTISEMENT

OT Favorite and Most Overrated Eateries in El Paso/Las Cruces Area

Autograph Boy

MI Hall of Famer
Nov 10, 2019
Favorite
Casita Linda- This is my favorite Mexican food. The prices are very reasonable and the service is great. They have all you can eat lunch specials on Monday and Wednesday for $8.99 and a lunch special every day during the week for $7.99. I love their salsa and always eat a lot of chips when I visit. Their chili con queso burritos are my favorite and are a great value for $3.65. I highly recommend it!

Cattleman's- I'm not a fan of steaks, so I always get the steak burger with cheese. Eventhough the prices have gone up recently, it's still a good price for what you get.

Chico's Tacos- This is one those places where you either really like it or hate it. It seems like every time I go the prices go up, but I still love it. It costs about $10 for a double order, fries, and a drink, but I still enjoy it. I like getting extra cheese and it tastes even better that way. I do like the hot dogs too. Anybody ever order the hamburgers or burritos?

La Posta- I try to go there or to Dion's every time I visit Las Cruces. They are always busy, so it's best to go during the week or early on a weekend. I love their sour cream enchiladas. Their portions are big and their prices are good.

Dion's- I first had their pizza at an Albuquerque Isotopes game and I realized they had two locations in Las Cruces. It's always busy every time I go there. Their slices are big for the price you pay and their salad portions are very big.

El Paso Hot Tamales- I have been eating here for over 20 years. Their plates are $6.99 and the lunch special during the week is $5.99. I love their salsa and my favorites are the tacos and gorditas. I also like the bean and cheese burritos and get sour cream and guacamole on the side.

Overrated
Avila's- I have been to Avila's a few times and while I don't think the food is bad, I just feel like it is very overrated and there are better places to eat Mexican food. I'm also not a fan of the salsa.

Leo's- I have heard a few people say this is their favorite Mexican restaurant and I don't feel that way at all. To me it is just average Mexican food.

Last edited:
Casita Linda no way hate it
Cattleman’s just for a SPECIAL occasion
Chico’s not what it used to be
La Posts and Dions. Only been a few times both are good

Cotton eye joes in Clint is one of my favorites

I actually have Avila's as a favorite and La Posta as overrated.

Some of my favorites

Charcoaler
Whataburger
Tabla
Hoppy Monk
Peter Piper Pizza
Carlos Bakery in Sunland Park
Thyme Matters

Overrated
Chuy's at the Fountains
Chico's Tacos
Billy Crews

I actually have Avila's as a favorite and La Posta as overrated.

Some of my favorites

Charcoaler
Whataburger
Tabla
Hoppy Monk
Peter Piper Pizza
Carlos Bakery in Sunland Park
Thyme Matters

Overrated
Chuy's at the Fountains
Chico's Tacos
Billy Crews

Peter Piper Pizza is the best pizza. I do like Grimaldi's as well, but they are expensive.

I went to Charoaler on Airway and I laughed at how small their burgers are and didn't like the taste. Every time I drive by it is empty.

I have heard others say Chuy's is overrated and not worth the cost.

Why do you think Casita Linda is overrated?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Out of curiosity, why do you hate it?
Don’t care for the taste of their food, and have problems with their service.
My mom and her husband loved it and we went often. The owners knew them and still half the time service was bad. There were a few waitresses that were good.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Don’t care for the taste of their food, and have problems with their service.
My mom and her husband loved it and we went often. The owners knew them and still half the time service was bad. There were a few waitresses that were good.

I'm surprised you said the service was bad. Normally I go when it's not busy, so that may be why.

100 on PPP! Grimaldi’s is great too. Those sun-dried tomatoes hit! For Grimaldi’s make sure to sign up for their birthday club for a free pie!

I go there every year for my birthday! Can't beat a free large pizza. It's too bad they discontinued it for now. I get the Don when I go there. It's about $26 for a large pizza, but it's really good pizza.

At Carino's they give you a free entree for your birthday. Got a lasagna and a salad that costs $13.99.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Do you all remember Rosatis? We had no idea how lucky we were to have on in EP. They opened the first one in the Austin area recently and it took me about 3 hrs to get my pizza.

Reactions: MinerManiac
Favs:
Chico’s- not my #1, IDGAF what you all think
Frisco’s
L&J
Kiki’s
Las Palmas
Steve O’s
Rib Hut
Famous Dave’s

Overrated:
Applebee’s
Every local wing place
Carnitas Querertaro
Dickey’s

Reactions: TXPrepMiner02
Some of my favorites:
El Toro Bronco
Kiki's
Good Coffee
Lucky's Cafe
Rock N Roll Cafe - Had amazing menudo with pata
Great American Land and Cattle
Cattleman's
The old Leo's on Montana (RIP)
Rudy's BBQ
La Bowie Bakery

Overrated
Chico's
Famous Dave's
L&J's
Gussie's Bakery

Do you all remember Rosatis? We had no idea how lucky we were to have on in EP. They opened the first one in the Austin area recently and it took me about 3 hrs to get my pizza.

Out of the myriad of restaurants that opened up in that building (some beach themed restaurant, Jaxon's, Rosati's, a few others, now Carlos and Mickey's) Rosati's was far and away the best. Great pizza.

Reactions: JCorona
Out of the myriad of restaurants that opened up in that building (some beach themed restaurant, Jaxon's, Rosati's, a few others, now Carlos and Mickey's) Rosati's was far and away the best. Great pizza.

Nothing has ever lasted there, which is surprising since it is such a high traffic area.

Idk, I always found some of the Chico's locations to be in...odd places. Makes me question the "meat" used lol.

Montana (before CVS) - Next to vet clinic
Alameda - Next to Cementary
Dyer - Next to the Salvation Army
George Dieter - Next to a rehabilitation center

Idk, I always found some of the Chico's locations to be in...odd places. Makes me question the "meat" used lol.

Montana (before CVS) - Next to vet clinic
Alameda - Next to Cementary
Dyer - Next to the Salvation Army
George Dieter - Next to a rehabilitation center
Never thought about, that’s funny.

Favorites in the Region:

Peter Piper
Chope’s (La Mesa)
La Nueva Casita (Las Cruces)
Ascarate Club House (esp. for breakfast)
Trattoria Bella Sera
Koze
Corralito’s
Pizza Joint

Overrated:

Kiki’s
Avila’s
Leo’s

Favorite
Casita Linda- This is my favorite Mexican food. The prices are very reasonable and the service is great. They have all you can eat lunch specials on Monday and Wednesday for $8.99 and a lunch special every day during the week for $7.99. I love their salsa and always eat a lot of chips when I visit. Their chili con queso burritos are my favorite and are a great value for $3.65. I highly recommend it!

Cattleman's- I'm not a fan of steaks, so I always get the steak burger with cheese. Eventhough the prices have gone up recently, it's still a good price for what you get.

Chico's Tacos- This is one those places where you either really like it or hate it. It seems like every time I go the prices go up, but I still love it. It costs about $10 for a double order, fries, and a drink, but I still enjoy it. I like getting extra cheese and it tastes even better that way. I do like the hot dogs too. Anybody ever order the hamburgers or burritos?

La Posta- I try to go there or to Dion's every time I visit Las Cruces. They are always busy, so it's best to go during the week or early on a weekend. I love their sour cream enchiladas. Their portions are big and their prices are good.

Dion's- I first had their pizza at an Albuquerque Isotopes game and I realized they had two locations in Las Cruces. It's always busy every time I go there. Their slices are big for the price you pay and their salad portions are very big.

El Paso Hot Tamales- I have been eating here for over 20 years. Their plates are $6.99 and the lunch special during the week is $5.99. I love their salsa and my favorites are the tacos and gorditas. I also like the bean and cheese burritos and get sour cream and guacamole on the side.

Overrated
Avila's- I have been to Avila's a few times and while I don't think the food is bad, I just feel like it is very overrated and there are better places to eat Mexican food. I'm also not a fan of the salsa.

Leo's- I have heard a few people say this is their favorite Mexican restaurant and I don't feel that way at all. To me it is just average Mexican food.

La Posta atmosphere is kind of cool, but the food sucks.

Went to Marco's Pizza today because I kept hearing from Friends that's its the best Pizza around and is as good as places in NYC.

Didn't live up to expectations

Went to Marco's Pizza today because I kept hearing from Friends that's its the best Pizza around and is as good as places in NYC.

Didn't live up to expectations
If this is the chain one, I just had it yesterday in San Antonio for the first time. I also heard great things...and it tasted exactly like Sam’s Club pizza! Huge disappointment.

Reactions: Lil_Train
If this is the chain one, I just had it yesterday in San Antonio for the first time. I also heard great things...and it tasted exactly like Sam’s Club pizza! Huge disappointment.

Yes, it is a chain. It was just like Road Runner Pizza on Doniphan. But Road Runner is $6 for a large Pepperoni and Marco's is $14.

Did remind me of Sam's now that you mention it

I've been reading reviews on the Showtyme Grill after Fili went because I want to try it now. The biggest downside is its far and its gonna cost me 15 bucks round trip in gas.

Anyway, summary is that the food is average. The service is great. The place really picks up after 9pm. And finally, they seem to have a pretty tight dress code. Many of the negative reviews were aimed at the dress code.

Reactions: MinerFan79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT