ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For Bigwood and anyone else interested

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Watch LIVE: El Paso City Council considers ‘cite & release’ policy for marijuana offenders
JC Navarrete
Published 1:37 AM MDT
Updated 9:04 AM MDT

EL PASO, Texas -- El Paso City Council on Tuesday will be discussing the handling of those found in possession of marijuana.

Currently, the city operates with the "First Chance" policy that allows first offenders the opportunity to keep their records clean by paying a $100 fine and serving eight hours of community service.

On the council docket Tuesday is the opportunity to expand on that, or replace it with the "Cite and Release" proposition. The new proposition will also look to keep offenders out of jail, however a citation will be given to those who are found holding the drug.

"The person is not being immediately arrested and that of course if very beneficial to the police department because they are not losing hours waiting to book someone or process someone," said El Paso County Court Judge Ruben Morales.

However, District Attorney Jaime Esparza is not convinced that the "Cite and Release" proposition is necessary. Esparza is a big supporter of the "First Chance" policy and would rather the city continue to operate with it at the helm. Esparza also noted that the "First Chance" program is not a free ride to offenders.

"We will still hold you accountable. Judge Morales is incorrect, if you do not take advantage of the 'first chance' program we will get a warrant and go pick you up and make you accountable for the marijuana case," Esparza said.

Judge Morales sees a world where both programs could be used hand in hand to keep marijuana offenders out of jail, but held accountable.

"First chance program is for the people who have never been in trouble, who have clean records and are trying to help them keep those clean records. Cite and release is for the people that don’t qualify," Morales said.

Since the "First Chance" program was introduced it has had a 75% completion rate, with more than 480 first time offenders.

I am a legal card holder in the State of New Mexico for what its worth.

I've also read some state legislatures think legalizing it will be boost the ecomony post COVID, interesting topic.

IMO locking up them criminals found with this plant and putting them on the American taxpayers bill is more effective than taxing it and allowing people to be productive members of society.

I've also read some state legislatures think legalizing it will be boost the ecomony post COVID, interesting topic.
It needs to be legalized everywhere just to stop the flocking of potheads at least. Legalizing gambling and pot would boost the economy in all states.

It's a myth that legalizing marijuana will boost the economy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikead...tion-economic-salvation-or-hype/#39fd26e10aa0

"A couple of studies released over the past week suggest that maybe we haven’t considered every angle when discussing the benefits of marijuana legalization. One report shows that a steady decline in marijuana prices has put some cannabis firms at risk of bankruptcy, while also crippling the ability for states to generate the kind of tax revenue that they did in the very beginning. Another report finds that for every dollar Colorado earns from legal weed, the state is spending $4.50 to combat public health and safety issues. These two issues alone could sandbag the legal weed movement."

"So, why don’t legal states just raise pot taxes to compensate for the loss? Well, Colorado tried that and it didn’t work. Last year, the state increased marijuana taxes from 10 to 15 percent. But the additional money didn’t account for any gains, it was just absorbed through the additional price drops that occurred over the past 12 months."

Do you live in New Mexico and work in Texas? I assume you only use marijuana in New Mexico?

IMO locking up them criminals found with this plant and putting them on the American taxpayers bill is more effective than taxing it and allowing people to be productive members of society.

Maybe, instead of jail time, we should fine them $5,000 and a year suspension of their driver's license. I am sure that will stop some people from doing illegal drugs.

Last edited:
Maybe, instead of jail time, we should fine them $5,0000 and a year suspension of their driver's license. I am sure that will stop some people from doing illegal drugs.
$50,000 seems excessive for a harmless plant.

In my opinion, marijuana is not where the US or any other country should hang their hat on. Meth/heroin/crack are way may dangerous for the user. If you look at all the news stories of child rapes and abused kids, meth is usually involved.

With that being said, if marijuana is illegal where you reside, it’s best not to use or be caught with it.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Harms me? I don't smoke. All I am saying is it is not harmless to the person smoking. There are many articles out there proving that, but you can do what you want.
I guess it’s similar to alcohol and tobacco.

It needs to be legalized everywhere just to stop the flocking of potheads at least. Legalizing gambling and pot would boost the economy in all states.

Gambling is bad for sports. We cant have bookies walking freely in colleges and high schools. Keep them in Vegas and underground.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT