ADVERTISEMENT

OT: General CUSA Information

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
I come across a lot of interesting stories regarding our fellow conference members. Instead of creating a new thread every time I want a to share a story with the board I think it would be better to place them all on this thread. We’re going to be in offseason mode for another couple of months so there really isn’t going to be much to talk about. Hopefully some of these articles can spark an intellectual dialogue.

I come across a lot of interesting stories regarding our fellow conference members. Instead of creating a new thread every time I want a to share a story with the board I think it would be better to place them all on this thread. We’re going to be in offseason mode for another couple of months so there really isn’t going to be much to talk about. Hopefully some of these articles can spark an intellectual dialogue.

I see what you doing. You just want all your threads to be pinned.Very sneaky of you.lol
I got one topic pinned and you have one. So we tied 1-1.

Here’s the first one. What doing more with less really looks like.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/w...cle_3f218d5c-9d85-5005-8d75-d25effa0ef97.html
"WKU athletic director Todd Stewart noted last month that across football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball and volleyball, the Hilltoppers and Lady Toppers are 19-1 against North Texas since entering Conference USA in 2014-15."

Them and La Tech should get "How to make lemonade when the the lemons go bad!" NCAA Division One award. They are tops in conference play and pretty much competitive every year (football is not expected to do well this year, but we will see how that plays out in CUSA).

UNT is a good example of "money doesn't solve all your problems". Ain't that right Mr. Boone Pickens?!

Reactions: JCorona
What did T Boone Pickens ever do for UNT, other than speak there once?

Problem Statement: The CUSA basketball tournament was a major f'ing fiasco this past year. What is the best possible method of selecting a tournament site which ensures maximizing revenue and tournament spots?

I say give the tournament to last year's champion if they want it. When we last hosted we have huge crowds for the tourney final and I'll bet they were among the most profitable not held in Memphis.

Problem Statement: The CUSA basketball tournament was a major f'ing fiasco this past year. What is the best possible method of selecting a tournament site which ensures maximizing revenue and tournament spots?

I say give the tournament to last year's champion if they want it. When we last hosted we have huge crowds for the tourney final and I'll bet they were among the most profitable not held in Memphis.
IMO the Frisco experiment was a good idea with bad timing. They should have waited until this season to sign a two year contract at the star. The reasons being that UNT was coming off from finishing dead last. RICE had just lost their HC and entire class. UTSA was two years removed from finishing dead last. And UTEP was a big question mark given the bipolar season we had just endured.

This coming year UTSA/UNT are expected to compete for the title. UTEP will be much improved and should finish around middle of the pack. RICE still needs a few more seasons. So we might see a big improvement if the Texas teams can reach the semifinals and championship game. UNT saw a crowd of 6200+ for the CBI championship. There’s potential for them to draw respectable crowds.

There’s a rumor going around the CUSA board that next year the tournament will be at Myrtle Beach. The source is literally some internet poster from Marshall that attends practices. Not very reliable.

I would like for Frisco to get one more year with a strong UTEP to show the rest of CUSA how much support we have all over Texas.

IMO the Frisco experiment was a good idea with bad timing. They should have waited until this season to sign a two year contract at the star. The reasons being that UNT was coming off from finishing dead last. RICE had just lost their HC and entire class. UTSA was two years removed from finishing dead last. And UTEP was a big question mark given the bipolar season we had just endured.

This coming year UTSA/UNT are expected to compete for the title. UTEP will be much improved and should finish around middle of the pack. RICE still needs a few more seasons. So we might see a big improvement if the Texas teams can reach the semifinals and championship game. UNT saw a crowd of 6200+ for the CBI championship. There’s potential for them to draw respectable crowds.

There’s a rumor going around the CUSA board that next year the tournament will be at Myrtle Beach. The source is literally some internet poster from Marshall that attends practices. Not very reliable.

I would like for Frisco to get one more year with a strong UTEP to show the rest of CUSA how much support we have all over Texas.

From a fans perspective I'm 100% behind Myrtle Beach. I would go to that tourney. I miss the tournaments being in Memphis I loved those going to those tournaments. Tulsa did a phenomenal job as well and that tournament exceeded my expectations. Now I just want it in a tourist destination. Put it in Myrtle Beach I will go every year.

From a fans perspective I'm 100% behind Myrtle Beach. I would go to that tourney. I miss the tournaments being in Memphis I loved those going to those tournaments. Tulsa did a phenomenal job as well and that tournament exceeded my expectations. Now I just want it in a tourist destination. Put it in Myrtle Beach I will go every year.
What about Memphis? Middle Tennessee would have a major fan base their and it is more centrally located. Great food too! Plus it's already a bball mecca.

But I wasn't reading what they said. I was replying to you. ;)

ALL sites suck for us unless it's in El Paso. Proximity is great in Frisco, but apparently the venue sucks for this event. SA isn't a bad idea for US either.

We are too far west. Nothing will really drive El Pasoans to go in droves as long we are in CUSA.

What about Memphis? Middle Tennessee would have a major fan base their and it is more centrally located. Great food too! Plus it's already a bball mecca.

I would be fully on board with Memphis or Nashville as host cities.

But I wasn't reading what they said. I was replying to you. ;)

ALL sites suck for us unless it's in El Paso. Proximity is great in Frisco, but apparently the venue sucks for this event. SA isn't a bad idea for US either.

We are too far west. Nothing will really drive El Pasoans to go in droves as long we are in CUSA.
San Antonio would be much better than Frisco.

I think the conference should have 3-4 permanent rotating sites. It should be on a CUSA city where a school is known to have good teams and strong local support. My opinion would be rotate between El Paso, Norfolk, Birmingham, and Nashville (WKU/MTSU)

I think the conference should have 3-4 permanent rotating sites. It should be on a CUSA city where a school is known to have good teams and strong local support. My opinion would be rotate between El Paso, Norfolk, Birmingham, and Nashville (WKU/MTSU)

Unfortunately El Paso is too far out to be a workable tournament site. El Paso also lacks the facilities to host a tournament. Last time they used memorial gym for women's that's a glorified auxiliary gym, everyone has one and it's not suitable for tournament games with an automatic bid on the line.

C-USA is a Jekyll and Hyde conference for basketball. Teams that do well, like Middle Tennessee get mediocre attendance at best. UTEP can do poorly and still be in the top quarter in attendance. I don't have stats for it but UTEP probably travels to other locations better than most C-USA teams. Where ever the tournament is, the host team has to do well to get any kind of positive attendance. The suggestion of three or four rotating sites based on attendance is a good idea. The tourist destination site is a maybe, that is if we have a host team that will draw fans.

C-USA is a Jekyll and Hyde conference for basketball. Teams that do well, like Middle Tennessee get mediocre attendance at best. UTEP can do poorly and still be in the top quarter in attendance. I don't have stats for it but UTEP probably travels to other locations better than most C-USA teams. Where ever the tournament is, the host team has to do well to get any kind of positive attendance. The suggestion of three or four rotating sites based on attendance is a good idea. The tourist destination site is a maybe, that is if we have a host team that will draw fans.

Why not Vegas ... every one likes coming here ...

Reactions: jdubb66
Unfortunately El Paso is too far out to be a workable tournament site. El Paso also lacks the facilities to host a tournament. Last time they used memorial gym for women's that's a glorified auxiliary gym, everyone has one and it's not suitable for tournament games with an automatic bid on the line.
It would be nice if the damn downtown arena gets built. We won’t have that problem anymore. Men’s downtown and women’s at the Don.

Reactions: axingfools1
I would be fully on board with Memphis or Nashville as host cities.

The Bridgestone Arena in Nashville will not be available until March '22.
http://www.secsports.com/article/11037442/championship-men-basketball
The AT&T Center in San Antonio could be available in March '20 .
http://www.attcenter.com/events/detail/2022-ncaa-division-i-mens-basketball-regionals
The Toyota Center in Houston is being used by the SWAC.

*Correction: While the SWAC kept its conference tournament in Houston, the venue for the semifinals and finals is shifting from the Toyota Center downtown to Houston ISD’s Delmar Fieldhouse, a new facility that opened a year ago. Like 2017, the four quarterfinals will be played at campus sites.

If C-USA wants it in H- town in '20, it's there for the taking.

Last edited:
2017 Atheltic Budgets. UTEP drops to 7th in CUSA probably 8th since RICE is not listed and they are known to have a big operating budget.

Dgy9NN_WsAA-TFl.jpg

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

If I’m not mistaken, every school above us has been at the FCS level, or formerly called Division 1-AA this century with the exception of UNT who rejoined the Div 1-A ranks in 1995.

Not harping on the past but that puts into perspective how stagnant our athletic department has been and how badly we’ve needed new direction just to keep up with the Jonses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT