ADVERTISEMENT

OT: GOT

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
If I were to compare this season of Game of Thrones to college football, I'd say the first 7 seasons were coached by Nick Saban and the 8th has been coached by Sean Kugler.

Seems like no one is ever satisfied with the ending of shows. Also, they made everyone wait over 2 years for the final season, it's bound not to meet everyone's expectations.

they made everyone wait over 2 years for the final season, it's bound not to meet everyone's expectations.

This, so much this! They overhyped the show, they attracted tons of new viewers and now everyone and their mother is analyzing every frame and calling out every, tiny or giant, plot hole/error/inconsistency.

I gave up on the show when it veered off from the books. I came back because I have come to terms that GRRM will never finish the book series and if I want any closure on it, this is as close at it will get. GRRM is too busy counting his mountains of gold and getting paid more doing lucrative side projects. He is not getting any younger and his 1500 page book has not been completed in eight years, with another 1500 page book after that. Not going to happen.

There are some very cool moments in the TV show, but it's not GRRM's story anymore. It's the directors', the screen writers', the critics' backlash, and the bean counters'. If Jamie doesn't kill Cersei I am going to be pissed.

Seems like no one is ever satisfied with the ending of shows. Also, they made everyone wait over 2 years for the final season, it's bound not to meet everyone's expectations.
People still bitch about The Sopranos ending 12 years later. No one is ever satisfied when a popular series comes to an end. From the leaks I've uncovered on the internet, if you're disappointed in how the final season of Game of Thrones is going, best you check out now. Just saying.

The writing has been unbelievably bad. I mean a guy (bron) rides into the middle of Winterfell, threatens the two brothers with a crossbow, then backs out and noone does anything about it? I'm supposed to believe that happened? It's like HBO has said enough to the 90 million budget and said just end this thing, we can't afford it anymore.

It's like HBO has said enough to the 90 million budget and said just end this thing, we can't afford it anymore.
Exactly. The first 2 episodes was just watching 2 hours of everyone riding into Winterfell and watching them prepare for the White Walkers. Season 8 has definitely been a snooze fest this season if you go by GOT Standards.

The writing has been unbelievably bad. I mean a guy (bron) rides into the middle of Winterfell, threatens the two brothers with a crossbow, then backs out and noone does anything about it? I'm supposed to believe that happened? It's like HBO has said enough to the 90 million budget and said just end this thing, we can't afford it anymore.
I haven’t seen GOT but that seems like a common problem with a lot of series. The last season of Boardwalk Empire felt like someone said “we need to end it now!” And they just wiped out everyone just to tie up loose ends and cram it into one season. Eastbound and Down felt like they went one season to many, and they made it about his stupid family.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen GOT but that seems like a common problem with a lot of showstopper. The last season of Boardwalk Empire felt like someone said “we need to end it now!” And they just wiped out everyone just to tie up loose ends and cram it into one season. Eastbound and Down felt like they went one season to many, and they made it about his stupid family.
This is exactly right. I think this is what's happening with GOT but I would have never expected it to happen on a show that has been so popular and groundbreaking.

If I were to compare this season of Game of Thrones to college football, I'd say the first 7 seasons were coached by Nick Saban and the 8th has been coached by Sean Kugler.
I have a confession to make. I have not seen one episode of GOT. Dead serious.

Reactions: axingfools1
I have a confession to make. I have not seen one episode of GOT. Dead serious.
I have one piece of advice for you. Take the books and the show completely independently. Don't try to associate the two if you ever decide to start watching and/or reading. Awesome storytelling by the book author, not so much with the HBO script writers.

This is exactly right. I think this is what's happening with GOT but I would have never expected it to happen on a show that has been so popular and groundbreaking.

Now I’m only speaking as a fan of TV, and not a writer. But I wonder how many of these problems are created because they write the series as they go. They’re playing the long game and drawing things out, and when it comes time to tie up loose ends they’re pressed for time.

Reactions: jdubb66
This, so much this! They overhyped the show, they attracted tons of new viewers and now everyone and their mother is analyzing every frame and calling out every, tiny or giant, plot hole/error/inconsistency.

I gave up on the show when it veered off from the books. I came back because I have come to terms that GRRM will never finish the book series and if I want any closure on it, this is as close at it will get. GRRM is too busy counting his mountains of gold and getting paid more doing lucrative side projects. He is not getting any younger and his 1500 page book has not been completed in eight years, with another 1500 page book after that. Not going to happen.

There are some very cool moments in the TV show, but it's not GRRM's story anymore. It's the directors', the screen writers', the critics' backlash, and the bean counters'. If Jamie doesn't kill Cersei I am going to be pissed.
I don’t think Jamie will kill Cersei. Remember what the Red Witch told Aria about brown eyes, blue eyes, and green eyes.

I personally don't hate this season, but it is definitely uneven. I liked episode 2, which was a good, character driven episode following everyone as they prepare for a battle they realized that they may lose. And episode 3, despite some lapses in logic, was a good episode, even if the lighting was way too dark. Episode 4, however, was atrocious. Not in a "it didn't live up to my expectations for the final season" sort of way, but in a "it just flat out sucked" sort of way.

Truth be told, the series has been uneven ever since it went beyond GRRM's books. It had to, as we've been waiting for Winds of Winter forever, but the series has suffered for it. You have people zooming from one end of Westeros to another in impossible time, considering that the fastest means of transportation available to everyone not named Daenerys is horse or ship. You also have decisions made and actions performed by characters that make no sense given their personalities and desires. There have been some good episodes in the last couple of seasons, but their also have been some very poor ones. Sunday night's episode was a great example of the latter.

Nonetheless, I will still be tuning into the last two episodes to find out who will ultimately sit on the iron throne. I'm also ready to give GRRM more of my hard earned money, if he ever finishes those last two damn books.

Reactions: jdubb66
I don’t think Jamie will kill Cersei. Remember what the Red Witch told Aria about brown eyes, blue eyes, and green eyes.

The Maggie the frog told Cersei her valonqar (little brother...or sister) would squeeze the life out of her. Jaime is the younger twin, and Cersei always hated Tyrion for being her little brother. Ever since then I want to see Jaime do it.

Truth be told, the series has been uneven ever since it went beyond GRRM's books. It had to, as we've been waiting for Winds of Winter forever, but the series has suffered for it. You have people zooming from one end of Westeros to another in impossible time, considering that the fastest means of transportation available to everyone not named Daenerys is horse or ship. You also have decisions made and actions performed by characters that make no sense given their personalities and desires. There have been some good episodes in the last couple of seasons, but their also have been some very poor ones. Sunday night's episode was a great example of the latter.

Nonetheless, I will still be tuning into the last two episodes to find out who will ultimately sit on the iron throne. I'm also ready to give GRRM more of my hard earned money, if he ever finishes those last two damn books.

Don't hold your breath. GRRM wont finish A Song of Ice and Fire in book format. Eight years and counting for Winds of Winter. At the exponential rate at which he releases books, A Dream of Spring will take him over 10 years to finish. That puts GRRM at 80 years old, assuming Winds of Winter comes out right now.

Cersei is the obvious choice. But GOT has been anything but obvious in their entire series run. Daenerys has green eyes too (in the series, not the books).

I thought tonight's episode was good. Hard to discuss it without giving anything away. My theory is they had this planned and everything else was just setting this up. Thus, the hurried feel of this season.

I thought tonight's episode was good. Hard to discuss it without giving anything away. My theory is they had this planned and everything else was just setting this up. Thus, the hurried feel of this season.
Thank You for not playing spoiler. I don't get to see it until tonight my time as I am sleeping when the original airs.

WARNING SPOILERS

YES,
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Personally, I didn't like this episode. While I realize that this season has been setting up the possibility of turning Dany into the Mad Queen, that's four episodes undoing seven seasons of character building. Not that Dany didn't have her weaknesses. Since the death of Viserys she felt that the iron throne was hers by birthright, she had an uncompromising sense of justice, and she expected fealty from everyone, with harsh consequences for those that refused to "bend the knee." But she also showed compassion for those that suffered at the hands of tyrants, spoke of releasing the people of Westeros from tyranny, and said that she was not there to be the queen of ashes.

Right before laying waste to Kings Landing she had everything she wanted. The Iron Fleet lay burning. The Golden Company was defeated. The Lannister Army had surrendered. The bell rang to signal surrender. She had won. If she still wanted Cersei, she didn't have to lay waste to an entire city. As she was willing to burn down the Red Keep, she could have flown directly towards it, and finished of Cersei immediately. There was nothing to be gained by killing hundreds of thousands of people, nothing but a blood lust that hadn't been apparent for the previous seven seasons. Four episodes were not enough to turn Daenerys Targaryen from an imperfect woman who wanted to rule with compassion into a complete and total monster.

Also, the whole Jaime and Cersei thing really sucked. While Jaime's journey from a man without honor to becoming an honorable man was much slower in the show than in the books, it still happened, only to be completely undone in one episode. And I think everyone was looking for a more dramatic end to Cersei than being buried under some rubble.

I was so looking forward to this season of GOT. Now I'm going to be left with a bad taste in my mouth. I hope that GRRM does finish his Song of Ice and Fire novels. At least there I will get an ending that will make sense, the final motivations of the characters being developed over time, rather than 180 degree turns in personality coming about almost instantaneously.

Reactions: develman
People still bitch about The Sopranos ending 12 years later. No one is ever satisfied when a popular series comes to an end. From the leaks I've uncovered on the internet, if you're disappointed in how the final season of Game of Thrones is going, best you check out now. Just saying.
The Reddit leaks were 100% correct...

I personally enjoyed the episode because it was out of nowhere and she ended up showing her true Targareyan heritage. It was certainly a turn of the tables. The evil empire of Kings Landing being portrayed as the opposite and Dany's kind Army becoming absolutely ruthless. Now we are left to wonder what will happen in the Series Finale. Does Jon kill Dany? or vice versa? Will Tyrion hang for treason? Or is Sansa, Arya, or Bran, end up on the Throne? Last episode could go in any direction.

It happened again!

First Cup Gate, now Hand Gate.

Amazing how these bloopers weren't caught in post production.

e7a8c756-6a72-4a66-87ad-f8a473a65f1a.jpeg

WARNING SPOILERS

YES,
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Personally, I didn't like this episode. While I realize that this season has been setting up the possibility of turning Dany into the Mad Queen, that's four episodes undoing seven seasons of character building. Not that Dany didn't have her weaknesses. Since the death of Viserys she felt that the iron throne was hers by birthright, she had an uncompromising sense of justice, and she expected fealty from everyone, with harsh consequences for those that refused to "bend the knee." But she also showed compassion for those that suffered at the hands of tyrants, spoke of releasing the people of Westeros from tyranny, and said that she was not there to be the queen of ashes.

Right before laying waste to Kings Landing she had everything she wanted. The Iron Fleet lay burning. The Golden Company was defeated. The Lannister Army had surrendered. The bell rang to signal surrender. She had won. If she still wanted Cersei, she didn't have to lay waste to an entire city. As she was willing to burn down the Red Keep, she could have flown directly towards it, and finished of Cersei immediately. There was nothing to be gained by killing hundreds of thousands of people, nothing but a blood lust that hadn't been apparent for the previous seven seasons. Four episodes were not enough to turn Daenerys Targaryen from an imperfect woman who wanted to rule with compassion into a complete and total monster.

Also, the whole Jaime and Cersei thing really sucked. While Jaime's journey from a man without honor to becoming an honorable man was much slower in the show than in the books, it still happened, only to be completely undone in one episode. And I think everyone was looking for a more dramatic end to Cersei than being buried under some rubble.

I was so looking forward to this season of GOT. Now I'm going to be left with a bad taste in my mouth. I hope that GRRM does finish his Song of Ice and Fire novels. At least there I will get an ending that will make sense, the final motivations of the characters being developed over time, rather than 180 degree turns in personality coming about almost instantaneously.
The show always hinted at Dany's prediposition towards cruelty. It was always tempered though by noble advisers or a state of powerlessness. Also, quite often her cruelty was directed at the right people, so we cheered.

I'll agree about Jamie and Cersei.

Also, Euron was just awful and not in a good television sense, but in a bad writing sense.

The show always hinted at Dany's prediposition towards cruelty. It was always tempered though by noble advisers or a state of powerlessness. Also, quite often her cruelty was directed at the right people, so we cheered.

I'll agree about Jamie and Cersei.

Also, Euron was just awful and not in a good television sense, but in a bad writing sense.

Nothing in the show ever suggested that she would be happy to mow down upwards of a million people, especially if doing so in no way aided her in achieving her goal. Roasting slavers, etc., is not the same thing.

I agree completely on Euron. Poorly written, and also over-acted.

Reactions: minermx07
Nothing in the show ever suggested that she would be happy to mow down upwards of a million people, especially if doing so in no way aided her in achieving her goal.

I posted a similar take on an article comment section and some GOT dork said I obviously dont know the history of the Targaryen legacy. He went on to say that Dany murdering millions was too obvious.

I posted a similar take on an article comment section and some GOT dork said I obviously dont know the history of the Targaryen legacy. He went on to say that Dany murdering millions was too obvious.

That dork does not know what he's talking about. Dany's father Aerys is the only Targaryen I know that wanted to burn down a whole city. You had cruel Targaryen rulers, benign Targaryen rulers, and everything in between, but Dany is the only Targaryen that burned a whole city for no reason, and the second who planned to do it.

If a dragon has an unlimited supply of fire, then why didnt Dany and Jon start by burning the white walkers instead of sacrificing the Dothrakis.

I have no qualms with the Mad Queen plot line. Dany is a egomaniac and megalomaniac. The Targaryen bloodline is tainted with insanity from incest. The only problem with this season is the pacing...why couldn’t we get a full 13 episode season to flesh out all the plot lines? HBO gave GoT an unlimited budget.

My prediction, Jon kills Dany, takes the throne and disbands the entire kingdom. Sansa rules the North, Tyrion the Rock, Gendry the Stormlands, etc. Jon goes north beyond the Wall, happens upon dead free folk including Tormund and is stabbed in the heart with dragon glass and becomes the new Night King. Bran knows this and goes and rebuilds the Wall with whatever magic he has and the whole cycle repeats again anew for a new generation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT