ADVERTISEMENT

OT group of 5 coaching changes in Texas

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
This figures to be most active season in years for coaching changes. It looks like four g5 schools in Texas will have a new coach next year. This will damatically change the competitive balance and recruiting in the state.

UNT: A school in a great location, with decent facilities. Negatives very little fan support, invisible in their market.

Projected new coach: Sonny Cumbie oc TCU. Cumbie is familar with the dfw market and has great relationships with the high school coaches. He brings enthusiasm and a high powered offense. UNT needs a jolt this would be a home run hire.

Texas State: Franchione has warn out his welcome. They need a new direction. Texas State is in a great location and has good facilities. Negatives they struggle to get attention in the Austin market. They are also the only Texas football playing in the Sun Belt.

Projected coach: K.C. Keeler head coach SHSU.

UTSA: Coker has run the program into the ground. Their location is a positive. The negatives are they have no faciliies a tiny budget and dwindling fan support.

Projected Coach: Kendall Briles oc Baylor. Not many schools will take a chance on a 32 year old coach. However, he is perfect for UTSA. His last name and connections immediately helps their recruiting and his enthusiasm helps attendance and fundraising.

Houston: Tom Herman appears to be on the way out. He is the leading candidate for the South Carolina job. Miami, Purdue and Illinois will also be very interested in Herman. This is by far the best job. Next year the Cougars will be better. They have great facilities and location. They have money and will go for a big name.

Projected coach: Kirby Smart dc Alabama. Smart has been passed over by SEC schools because the prevailing wisdom is that its Saban's defense and that smart is just the face. Houston is a great job and would give him the oppurtunity to make a huge splash quickly as a head coach.

You know it's interesting that TCU would not be in their great position if it was not for Franchione. He took that formerly forgotten and left behind former SWC and WAC member, brought in Tomlinson, convinced the Sun Bowl Committee to let his little school take on mighty USC, who scoffed at the matchup, and the rest is history. But now, he's getting left behind and becoming part of history.

This figures to be most active season in years for coaching changes. It looks like four g5 schools in Texas will have a new coach next year. This will damatically change the competitive balance and recruiting in the state.

UNT: A school in a great location, with decent facilities. Negatives very little fan support, invisible in their market.

Projected new coach: Sonny Cumbie oc TCU. Cumbie is familar with the dfw market and has great relationships with the high school coaches. He brings enthusiasm and a high powered offense. UNT needs a jolt this would be a home run hire.

Texas State: Franchione has warn out his welcome. They need a new direction. Texas State is in a great location and has good facilities. Negatives they struggle to get attention in the Austin market. They are also the only Texas football playing in the Sun Belt.

Projected coach: K.C. Keeler head coach SHSU.

UTSA: Coker has run the program into the ground. Their location is a positive. The negatives are they have no faciliies a tiny budget and dwindling fan support.

Projected Coach: Kendall Briles oc Baylor. Not many schools will take a chance on a 32 year old coach. However, he is perfect for UTSA. His last name and connections immediately helps their recruiting and his enthusiasm helps attendance and fundraising.

Houston: Tom Herman appears to be on the way out. He is the leading candidate for the South Carolina job. Miami, Purdue and Illinois will also be very interested in Herman. This is by far the best job. Next year the Cougars will be better. They have great facilities and location. They have money and will go for a big name.

Projected coach: Kirby Smart dc Alabama. Smart has been passed over by SEC schools because the prevailing wisdom is that its Saban's defense and that smart is just the face. Houston is a great job and would give him the oppurtunity to make a huge splash quickly as a head coach.

You express the same line of thinking that those outside the Houston program do. I honestly don't think Herman is going away this year. Leading candidate or not, Herman won't leave the fertile grounds of UH for South Carolina. That is setting himself up for possible failure. He doesn't have recruiting pipelines out that way. He won't take a job just because it is a P5 job. It will have to be the right job. He would leave for Texas, aTm, Baylor, possibly TCU, OU and Ohio State. There are a few others he would jump at as well but he likes the Texas area. Plus, he has one hell of a first recruiting class (fully his), a university president giving him everything he could ask for as she tirelessly works to get Houston in a P5 conference, good money and the most fertile recruiting ground in America. I think he stays 2 more years minimum and at least 5 more if they get into a P5 conference within 2 years. Just my two cents worth.

There is a strong push to fire Strong at Texas. Herman probably just waiting for that to open up.

There is a strong push to fire Strong at Texas. Herman probably just waiting for that to open up.

Kind of what I think. Strong will not be gone this year. I believe his buyout sits at 17 mil. While UT has $$$, that is no chump change because on top of that they will have to pay whoever it is they hire, which won't come cheap either. I do see Strong gone after next year or the even possibly the following year. I'm sure Herman sees the writing on the wall.

If I start seeing our high 3*, 4* and our 5* guys bolt, then I'll know Herman has moved on as well. Until then, Herm is solidly committed to coaching at UH.

Reactions: DoYouLikeDragons
I don't think Strong's job is safe this year. The Oklahoma win helped him alot. They still have West Virginia, Texas Tech, and Baylor. I see him getting axed if he loses to West Virginia,& Tech, and gets blown out by Baylor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT