ADVERTISEMENT

OT: High School Football

MinerDave

All Star
Dec 20, 2001
Why are they playing high school football? And should they?

Discuss in a humble and respectful manner.

I have a feeling we’re looking at an NCAA football type scenario. There seems to be no clear leadership at the top and everyone is going to do what they feel is right. Once a team has a breakout (which it will happen unfortunately) schools and districts will cancel seasons while others will probably continue.

I remember back in the day when my alma mater, Andress, was a power in El Paso HS football. Obviously those days are long gone.
Can PHH be that up and coming local dynasty that Andress was that spanned through three decades (four if you want to split hairs about it)?

Much respect for Troopers Coach Lopez for scheduling games with power house programs. I’ve heard him say before that to get better you have to play the best teams out there.
Maybe Eastwood could borrow some stud players from other schools around El Paso to play against them?

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Who has the better high school football?

El Paso or Albuquerque? Also how many High Schools does Albuquerque have?

Do Albuquerque high schools ever play against El Paso High Schools?
I'm sure it has happened at some point; El Paso teams do play against New Mexico teams. But Albuquerque's far enough away that it would require an overnight stay for the visitors, which is uncommon at the high school level outside of the playoffs.

I'm sure it has happened at some point; El Paso teams do play against New Mexico teams. But Albuquerque's far enough away that it would require an overnight stay for the visitors, which is uncommon at the high school level outside of the playoffs.
Ever since Walden got that number 1 recruit from New Mexico. I want to know more about New Mexico High School Football. I was looking at Wiki. Albuquerque has about 16 high schools. I would've thought they would have more than El Paso.

Ever since Walden got that number 1 recruit from New Mexico. I want to know more about New Mexico High School Football. I was looking at Wiki. Albuquerque has about 16 high schools. I would've thought they would have more than El Paso.
Didn't Gavin Hardison come from New Mexico?

Reactions: kickballpro
Who has the better high school football?

El Paso or Albuquerque? Also how many High Schools does Albuquerque have?

I would say overall El Paso is superior to Albuquerque in Football with the exception of La Cueva.

Rio Rancho HS and Rio Rancho Cleveland are the top Schools in the Albuquerque area in most years. They have amazing facilities and invest in Athletics whereas Albuquerque Public schools are known for low pay and low budgets.

Franklin beat Las Cruces Centennial this past season but split their games during the 2 year span.Last season Centennial beat New Mexico's top team La Cueva in week 2.

According to MaxPreps, La Cueva was the top Team in NM and their 'score' would put them around 150 in Texas whereas the top team in El Paso was Eastwood which was at 196.

Congrats Coach Morrow! Another UTEP Legend shaping El Paso High School sports!

I would say overall El Paso is superior to Albuquerque in Football with the exception of La Cueva.

Rio Rancho HS and Rio Rancho Cleveland are the top Schools in the Albuquerque area in most years. They have amazing facilities and invest in Athletics whereas Albuquerque Public schools are known for low pay and low budgets.

Franklin beat Las Cruces Centennial this past season but split their games during the 2 year span.Last season Centennial beat New Mexico's top team La Cueva in week 2.

According to MaxPreps, La Cueva was the top Team in NM and their 'score' would put them around 150 in Texas whereas the top team in El Paso was Eastwood which was at 196.
I believe the top two High School Football programs in El Paso are better than any team in the entire state of New Mexico. I’m basing this on the records of EP’s top HS teams against the top schools in Albuquerque, Rio Rancho and Las Cruces. Furthermore, if you look at how many Division 1 prospects the state of NM produces each year they produce less than the city of EP. EP HS produces about 6 to 7 legit D1 players each year. The top 3 or 4 usually end up at P5 schools and most of those do well. If EP competed in NM, they would be competing for state championships in every sport during most years, unfortunate ly, EP plays in Texas where it’s basically impossible to beat the power teams from DFW, Houston and far East TX areas.

Last edited:
The state of Texas should see the SAC II that is being built by a district that is $33 million is debt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT