ADVERTISEMENT

OT: lesser known Mexican restaurants

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
I really like Cafe East on Rojas near Lee Trevino. Great caldo de res and ground beef tacos.

What’s your favorite lesser known Mexican restaurant in El Paso and for what dish?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Tacos Chinampa. They’re growing and have locations all over the city now. It used to be one of my favorite spots.

Not sure if they qualify as lesser known or not, but any time I’m in town I hit up Amigos, and JJ’s.

Hey guys. Please tell me what all is on the combo plate at L and J. I know there's a taco, enchilada, relleno, rice, beans. What am I missing?

Hey guys. Please tell me what all is on the combo plate at L and J. I know there's a taco, enchilada, relleno, rice, beans. What am I missing?
I think I answered my own question. Guacamole, chili Verde, flauta and salsa

I don't know if you would consider them restaurants, but I like Tacos Don Cuco, El Cometa and La gorda. Delicious which has already been mentioned in the north east damn good and Carnitas queretaro

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Don Carbon has the best Mexican grilled chicken in EP. Their burgers and fries are delicious too.
Another place I like is Mundo’s on Doniphan. They have very good caldo de res and potato and cheese soup.

I have lived away from EP for 38 years. In those 38 years the quality of the Mexican food has taken a significant dive. I remember going to just about any restaurant and thinking I'd died and gone to heaven. These days, it's ... well, maybe not hell but it's most definitely not heaven anymore. It's just not all that anymore.

The Mexican Cottage on Texas Ave. is poor man’s L and J...Su Casa is good...G and R has decent enchiladas...La Pila on Alameda has great flautas...and El Cometa is very good.

I have lived away from EP for 38 years. In those 38 years the quality of the Mexican food has taken a significant dive. I remember going to just about any restaurant and thinking I'd died and gone to heaven. These days, it's ... well, maybe not hell but it's most definitely not heaven anymore. It's just not all that anymore.

Try some of the places ITT.

Don Carbon has the best Mexican grilled chicken in EP. Their burgers and fries are delicious too.
Another place I like is Mundo’s on Doniphan. They have very good caldo de res and potato and cheese soup.

Yeah, Don Carbon chicken is good.

In this thread

Ah, thanks. I have tried some of them:

L&J - serviceable
Carlos & Mickey's - serviceable
Tacos Chinampa - ok
La Cometa - ok

I definitely need to try some of the other places. My most recent visit to EP a week ago was the first time EVER that I did NOT have Chico's. EVER.

Is Kiki's on Piedras any good? Any more? Was my hangout in the late 70's. Feasted on Nachos & pitchers of beer.

Is Mundo's still open? I know they are closed one day during the week (monday maybe?), but I drove by and it wasn't a Monday and it looked closed. Their Menudo was good

Is Kiki's on Piedras any good? Any more? Was my hangout in the late 70's. Feasted on Nachos & pitchers of beer.
Kiki's is a winner. L & J, Avila's, Leo's and last month we tried the new Julio's. As I said " anywhere" in EP.
Oops... sorry not small un heard of spots.

Kiki's is good, but pretty 'dirty'. A whole lot of calories if you know what I mean. Lucy's used to have the best salsa. Haven't been there in a while.

Is Mundo's still open? I know they are closed one day during the week (monday maybe?), but I drove by and it wasn't a Monday and it looked closed. Their Menudo was good
I believe Mundo’s is open Wednesday - Sunday. Their prices are very good and their food tastes homemade.

Another good spot is Taco Tote. They’re a little more of the fast food Mexican, but their food is very tasty.

The Little Diner in Canutillo. It's actually famous in certain circles, but some of you yahoos who never leave the east side have never been there.
I've heard good things about this place for years. I need to try it.

I work in real estate and when going to Fabens I pass Cotton Eyed Joe's and the parking lot is always full. Anyone been to this place?

Theres a place in Canutillo called Peppe's which is really good. And the owners were the staff at a popular family mexican restaurant that closed down many years ago (forgot the name) and they kept the recipes alive.

Kiki's is good, but pretty 'dirty'. A whole lot of calories if you know what I mean. Lucy's used to have the best salsa. Haven't been there in a while.

Last two times I ate at kiki's was super disappointing. The very last time I went was the worst. We had fleas jumping all over our arms, which was accompanied with some extra mediocre food...

My favorite hidden gem was always El Rancho Escondido. You never know when the owners will decide to shut it down or reopen it though

My favorite hidden gem was always El Rancho Escondido. You never know when the owners will decide to shut it down or reopen it though

My sister was married in that room/ballroom/saloon that used to be behind there. Then is was moved to Wallacetown USA, where it is rotting away

They moved the saloon!? That's crazy. I remember they used to do live theater events in that main room. My mom used to play in the shows, so I actually spent a lot of time there when I was young

I swear they had the loudest parrots on earth back then. It was a game when we were kids to see who could get the closest to them without covering our ears when they were squawking

Last two times I ate at kiki's was super disappointing. The very last time I went was the worst. We had fleas jumping all over our arms, which was accompanied with some extra mediocre food...
Well that sucks. I haven't been there in a long time. I decided I wanted to hopefully live a longer life!

Reactions: USAFminersfan
Theres a place in Canutillo called Peppe's which is really good. And the owners were the staff at a popular family mexican restaurant that closed down many years ago (forgot the name) and they kept the recipes alive.
I think that's the Griggs family you're thinking of.

I believe a couple of Griggs restaurants opened in the early 2000s (I remember for sure there was one by Sunland Park Mall), but I guess they didn't catch on. I think La Posta is still affiliated with the Griggs family?

Reactions: kickballpro
I think that's the Griggs family you're thinking of.

I believe a couple of Griggs restaurants opened in the early 2000s (I remember for sure there was one by Sunland Park Mall), but I guess they didn't catch on. I think La Posta is still affiliated with the Griggs family?

Yes, Griggs.

I've heard good things about this place for years. I need to try it.

I work in real estate and when going to Fabens I pass Cotton Eyed Joe's and the parking lot is always full. Anyone been to this place?
Been there many times, good food and lots of it. Prices are good too. Would highly recommend it.

I haven’t seen the lunch box mentioned on here surprisingly. I love the food there, always get the combination plate #2 with one red and one green enchilada. That’s my go to spot for Mexican food. There’s a location on Carolina but I go to the one off Montana, service along with the food is great. Most of the other restaurants mentioned I’ve tried and would recommend myself as well.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT