ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Major upset in boxing with Andy Ruiz beating Anthony Joshua.

Rot

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
This has to be one of the biggest upsets in boxing since Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas.

Last edited:
Nobody posted it so I that’s why I’m posting this.

Before the fight I didn’t give Ruiz much chance to last all 12. After he was knocked down in the 3rd I thought Joshua was going to finish him off. What a turn of events.

Any theories as to what happened? I think Joshua took a light training camp expecting an easy fight. Combined with this being his first fight in America and it was a recipe for disaster.

Before the fight I didn’t give Ruiz much chance to last all 12. After he was knocked down in the 3rd I thought Joshua was going to finish him off. What a turn of events.

Any theories as to what happened? I think Joshua took a light training camp expecting an easy fight. Combined with this being his first fight in America and it was a recipe for disaster.
Theories? He just lost... ruiz has a strong chin and is fast with his hands. Thats it plus good strenght

Theories? He just lost... ruiz has a strong chin and is fast with his hands. Thats it plus good strenght
There’s a reason most are calling this the biggest upset in boxing history. It wasn’t a simple 50/50 fight that Joshua just lost. There’s more to it.

There’s a reason most are calling this the biggest upset in boxing history. It wasn’t a simple 50/50 fight that Joshua just lost. There’s more to it.
All of those things came into play not to mention that Ruiz was a last minute substitution. AJ had prepared for someone totally different. But the biggest x factor, I think, was Ruiz' speed. If you see someone that is 270 pounds you think, wow, this guy is going to be easy to hit and won't be quick enough to hit me. But Ruiz was so fast, not only with his hands, but moving in and out of range and on counter punches just overwhelming AJ. I mean, he wasn't quite Mike Tyson in his hayday but he was Mike Tysonesque in his movements. And the chin. His handle should be Andy "the Chin" Ruiz.

Reactions: JCorona
I dont think Ruiz goes farther than 5 against wilder.However, being that ruiz is the first ever Mexican heavyweight champion the Pay-per-view number will be the biggest for any heavy weight fight since probably Lenox-klitsscho.

Ruiz comes into the fight 15 lbs heavier than his already pudgy weight. What a disgrace. Did he even train, or did he have Buster Douglas train him like he trained for his fight with Holyfield, by ordering pizzas while in the jacuzzi.
I think the Sombrero that Ruiz wore to the weigh in had Nachos in it.

Ruiz mentioned after his upset win over Joshua that he would train harder and lose weight. Oh well, he didn’t keep his word and looked very slow all night long. Those extra pounds hurt him in the end. He had a great opportunity to show the world that he was legit and now he looks like a joke. Joshua didn’t look impressive, but fought a smart fight.

Ruiz is good, but Joshua is just better.

Rumor has it that Joshua got ko'd in training camp a week before their first fight, and had some crazy panic attack right before the fight started since he knew he was compromised.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Ruiz mentioned after his upset win over Joshua that he would train harder and lose weight. Oh well, he didn’t keep his word and looked very slow all night long. Those extra pounds hurt him in the end. He had a great opportunity to show the world that he was legit and now he looks like a joke. Joshua didn’t look impressive, but fought a smart fight.

I can’t fault the man for enjoying the spoils of victory. That was a ton of money he got and a major accomplishment, so there’s no fault in that. But everyone pointed out going into the first fight that the best thing that happened to his was that we went from one fight directly into another camp. If he weren’t a heavyweight he would be the type of fighter who blows up between fights and spends a majority of camp working off the weight. His own worst enemy between fights is himself, and it’s not uncommon in boxing. I really wonder how big this guy will get when he retires and he never has to work out again, because he definitely won’t be like a B. Hop in retirement.

Well maybe he can enjoy the 6 cars he bought before the fight. At least he can't eat them.
The only sadness to this story is that he may end up broke the way he has been spending his money. Then what will he have?

Reactions: develman
Would love to see Ruiz vs King Kong Ortiz!
Can’t wait for Fury vs Wilder, but I think either of them beat AJ.
Heavyweight division hasn’t been this exciting in a long time!

Wilder is gonna kill fury. Joshua has no chance against either of them. Ruiz just doesn't have the desire to be the man and he is too slow to beat Joshua or Wilder. All Joshua and Wilder gotta do against Ruiz is just keep away from him for 36 minutes.

You can easily make the argument that Fury won the first fight with Wilder. I would not count Fury out so easily in a rematch as he can box great for a big man. Ortiz got caught but won almost every round and was winning the first fight with Wilder. That is what makes Wilder dangerous, and the fact that he has balls of steel as he can take you out in any round.
What makes Fury dangerous, is that he can box, and he can take a punch. He was out on his back in the last fight, and jumps up and was fine after a minute. Anyone else never gets up. He has the bigger upside, just like Canelo had against GGG in the second fight. Wilder will have to KO him to win this time, and there is no way he is going to walk through Fury.

fury got knocked out, he didn't make it up on the ten count. he did good for 27 minutes but after that it was over

Don’t forget that Fury was less than a year removed from being a a fat coked up slob going into that first Wilder fight. He is in a way better place physically and mentally, but he still has to fight the perfect fight because Wilder can end it with one punch.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Me saying wilder is gonna kill him is a stretch, more of sarcasm than anything else. It will be a damn good bout, but I just don't see fury beating him. I wouldn't be surprised if fury does beat him, lets put it that way. I can't wait for 02-22-2020

fury got knocked out, he didn't make it up on the ten count. he did good for 27 minutes but after that it was over
When did Fury get Knocked out? What fight did you watch? I was at the fight and it was ruled a draw, and most thought Fury won. Fury has never lost a fight in his career. I think you have mixed up Ortiz and Fury.

He has the better upside, as was said, he was only 2 fights removed from wanting to commit suicide and almost overdosing on drugs. He boxed great, and out landed Wilder. He was knocked down twice, but even making those 10-8 rounds, he still should have won as he easily out landed Wilder in 9 of the 12 rounds.
What Wilder has is the KO punch that he can unleash in any round. The thing is, that Fury took that punch and got up and was fine, actually laughing. Wilder's face said it all when Fury got up. He could not believe it.

Last edited:
The reason Fury was able to get up was that he has been knocked out before in his bare knuckle fights. When you get knocked down it is like being underwater. Trying to find where the hell you are, and what direction is up. The fact that he looked like he stopped breathing, and then recovered so quickly, shows his experience in that situation. The guy is as tough as they come, and the perfect match for Wilder. Could not ask for a better matchup.
I have seen that Undertaker gif. It is exactly like that. I like the one with Wilder and how his face changes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT