ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

Lil_Train

MI Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2001
Not really related to UTEP, but I saw a couple of new names in the transfer portal today;

- Jordan Lathon
- Isaih Moore

I had mentioned Moore as a guy I liked when UTEP played USM. He is a grad transfer.

You might want to watch for the Newton brothers from El Paso to hit the portal soon. ECU just fired their coach, and word was his brother was going to transfer to ECU to play with him before the firing. Both were good players at ECU, Evansville.

You might want to watch for the Newton brothers from El Paso to hit the portal soon. ECU just fired their coach, and word was his brother was going to transfer to ECU to play with him before the firing. Both were good players at ECU, Evansville.

These guys would be fantastic if we lost 1-2 major contributing guards.

If they can’t shoot …. Noooo can’t take anymore players that their shooting skills represent a turnover

If you listen to KROD, the implication by Adrian Broaddus is that it is fait accompli that KK, Boum and maybe TV are goners. I think that is wrong. I think we lose one of those three - probably KK. Golding understands relationships, how to treat people and how to coach (Terry understood none of the above) - that will pay off for UTEP.

Reactions: ChewpaMiVega
If they can’t shoot …. Noooo can’t take anymore players that their shooting skills represent a turnover
I would say Tristen is just as good as Boum (if not better) and could be a POY candidate in CUSA. He could easily transfer up, but may want to go somewhere were he can play with his brother.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
If you listen to KROD, the implication by Adrian Broaddus is that it is fait accompli that KK, Boum and maybe TV are goners. I think that is wrong. I think we lose one of those three - probably KK. Golding understands relationships, how to treat people and how to coach (Terry understood none of the above) - that will pay off for UTEP.
I think KK needs another year at UTEP to be 'the man' if he is looking to transfer. That will get him the best high profile option.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I would say Tristen is just as good as Boum (if not better) and could be a POY candidate in CUSA. He could easily transfer up, but may want to go somewhere were he can play with his brother.
I agree. Pairing T. Newton with Bieniemy would work eventhough they are both lead guards, because they can both score. That would be a heck of a backcourt. If those spots do open up, if I were Golding, I would go after the Newton's hard.

Come on home gentlemen, the prettiest women in the world are still here!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I agree. Pairing T. Newton with Bieniemy would work eventhough they are both lead guards, because they can both score. That would be a heck of a backcourt. If those spots do open up, if I were Golding, I would go after the Newton's hard.
He would be a great replacement, potential upgrade, for boum. Maybe his cousin Aaron can offer an NIL deal :)

I'll take the Newtons of KK leaves. That's if he does, I like KK's development and Fire. However if he leaves. Tristan would start with Boum and Bienemy and his brother providing scoring off the bench! That'd be an Amazing back court and then add in a transfer Big and we'd be Trouble!

Reactions: Lil_Train
KK, Boum and TV are gone. I don't know why there is any suspense. They all celebrated senior day. They wouldn't have done that if they were coming back. They were surprise additions to senior night. That tells you everything. Golding didn't want to play in the postseason he wanted to start recruiting because he has alot to replace.

KK, Boum and TV are gone. I don't know why there is any suspense. They all celebrated senior day. They wouldn't have done that if they were coming back. They were surprise additions to senior night. That tells you everything. Golding didn't want to play in the postseason he wanted to start recruiting because he has alot to replace.
A. They Graduated that's why they had their Families there.
B. Golding didn't wanna play, his players did.
C. You may be right, you may be wrong, but your logic on why you think that is off a bit.

I'd say
KK 75% gone
Boum 50/50
TV 50/50

I agree with Natty. I think he’s spot on. The fact that Golding stated his inclination was to hit the recurring trail but then deferred to TV and Soule wishes tells me they’re still in the mix. Why forgo recruiting for two players who are not gonna be here next year?

Reactions: axingfools1
A. They Graduated that's why they had their Families there.
B. Golding didn't wanna play, his players did.
C. You may be right, you may be wrong, but your logic on why you think that is off a bit.

I'd say
KK 75% gone
Boum 50/50
TV 50/50
Senior day in athletics has nothing to do with graduating. Senior days are celebrated for the last year of a players eligibility. Players graduate early all the time they aren't recognized until they've exhausted their eligibility.

Senior day in athletics has nothing to do with graduating. Senior days are celebrated for the last year of a players eligibility. Players graduate early all the time they aren't recognized until they've exhausted their eligibility.
I still think you're reading into that more, but like I said 50/50 on Boum and TV and 75 on KK. They could be wanting to play in tourney, cause they know it's their last time together or they wanna build for next year, guess we'll see.

I still think you're reading into that more, but like I said 50/50 on Boum and TV and 75 on KK. They could be wanting to play in tourney, cause they know it's their last time together or they wanna build for next year, guess we'll see.
I hope you're right.

The cynic in me thinks they're using this tournament as a platform to boost their stats and fish for more offers.
I thought the same thing at first, then realized who in the hell is gonna be watching.

Question? If Golding knows he is losing 2-3 players and still went forward with this tournament(at his players request) is he making a mistake?
Or is he using this tournament to try and re-recruit his players?

I hope Natty is right. We already know we have a hell of basketball coach and we are about to find out if we have a decent recruiter.

Bieniemy is also graduating in May, and he was not part of the senior day festivities. He has also stated he is coming back next year. As far as I am aware, neither Boum, Kennedy, or Verhoeven have stated they will be back.

I did see that a starting player from Western Illinois already put his name in the portal fwiw; so maybe our three are still trying to decide. Golding is for sure recruiting guards/sf guys, so we will see.

I brought up the Newton brothers and people here made fun of me. But someone else brings it up and everybody likes the idea.
Some, but keep in mind it's under different circumstances now and it's all under the assumption that they would even want to come to UTEP.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Haha that was me after graduating from UTEP and moving there in 1998. Eventually you grow out of it and start a family 😆

haha Same thing happened to me when I went to ASU for my graduate degree. UTEP women can't compare with ASU women. And it's not even close.

Tyler Stevenson just hit the portal..
14.6/7.5/1.1. I would love for us to get this guy.
Kalu Ezikpe from ODU is also in the portal. It will be interesting to see where these guys end up. I'm not sure they are sure fire P5 type guys, but they could really help alot of teams like UTEP. Against SUU we got nearly zero offensively once again from our big men.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT