ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MBB Transfer Portal

Vanderbilt brought in highly recruited players his size.
Yeah I saw that. It may just be the money and/or the exposure he is seeking, or maybe he thinks he has a better shot at the NBA at Vanderbilt. He definitely would have been 'the man' at UTEP. Maybe he can do the same in the SEC.

Yeah I saw that. It may just be the money and/or the exposure he is seeking, or maybe he thinks he has a better shot at the NBA at Vanderbilt. He definitely would have been 'the man' at UTEP. Maybe he can do the same in the SEC.
I'm not sold on Stackhouse as a head coach. I thought they had a very talented squad this year and underachieved.

'A volatile beast': NCAA transfer portal creates challenges for UTEP athletic teams

Bret Bloomquist
El Paso Times

The advent of the NCAA transfer portal in 2018 brought in uncertainty, but there was one sure bet when student-athletes in every sport were allowed one free transfer with no penalties.

The landscape of college sports was dramatically changed and all coaches were going to have to figure out how to deal with it.

Strategies were bound to be different, and UTEP presents a fascinating case study in that.

The Miner football team has perhaps been least directly affected by it, but has used some indirect effects —
specifically other schools de-emphasizing junior college recruiting and UTEP filling that void — to turn its fortunes for the better.

Volleyball coach Ben Wallis hasn't gotten many players from the portal, but has facilitated some of his players to depart through it to give him more roster flexibility with bringing in high school players.

The two basketball programs are perhaps more the norm on the national landscape, as they have seen massive roster turnover through the portal while moving away from recruiting high school players.

Wallis is the only coach in those four programs who speaks well of the the new order, but even he allows, "the transfer portal is a volatile beast, that's the only way I can explain it. This year it helped us. I'd love to say the same thing next year."

Basketball fire sale

The experiences of the Miners' men's and women's basketball teams are illustrative of what's going on across the country, where about 1,450 men's basketball players and 1,300 women in Division I entered the portal.

The UTEP men lost nine players that way, including three starters who went to power conferences and its sixth man to another mid-major, and so far has picked up five.

Four of the players the Miners lost weren't playing significantly; Emmanuel White is transferring to Division II Western New Mexico and the other three haven't yet found new homes. Almost half of players who enter the portal aren't picked up by other Division I schools.

UTEP President Dr. Heather Wilson congratulates UTEP head men's basketball coach Joe Golding after his 70-68 win against North Texas Saturday, March 5, 2022, at the Don Haskins Center in El Paso, Texas.

Bret Bloomquist can be reached at 915-546-6359; bbloomquist@elpasotimes.com; @Bretbloomquist on Twitter

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...ransfer-portal-creates-challenges/7581677001/

"......"It's the first time I've ever gone through anything like this," Golding said. "We're replacing 10 scholarship guys and two walk-ons with 12 new players, so it's a first for me. Obviously we're navigating some new waters."

That process began this week when the UTEP staff took its first look at a roster that won't look much like last year's, but will be entirely Golding recruits....."

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...s-summer-practice-retooled-roster/7567815001/

I'm disappointed that Golding wasnt able to land a high major transfer. I guess HoodRio was the prize recruit.

I'm disappointed that Golding wasnt able to land a high major transfer. I guess HoodRio was the prize recruit.
The transfer portal has been fine for many coaches and schools. I think we all knew that it would be tough for UTEP, but I think it's pretty obvious now that Golding is gonna need lots of help recruiting.

The transfer portal has been fine for many coaches and schools. I think we all knew that it would be tough for UTEP, but I think it's pretty obvious now that Golding is gonna need lots of help recruiting.
I guess that's a fair assumption, however we don't really know yet. Based on Terry's recruits (watching clips on the net) we were always stoked about his ability to recruit. How many players of his are amazing after the fact? Can't just say it was JUST coaching as most transferred out at some point. It is possible these guys will play better together and on both ends of the court.....we shall see..

Reactions: LTMiner61
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT