ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mining For Fool’s Gold

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
It’s actually On Topic but I figure this was a better way to grab your attention.

Every season there used to be a fresh optimism that this might be the year. Now a numbness surrounds the losing. Conference titles seem unreachable. The post season at times is, but even that has lacked excitement. The last two bowl games ended in Albuquerque with seasons near the .500 mark. The Miners haven’t danced in 3,700 days and counting. In that frame we've only seen them take part in the conference tournament final once. UTEP has been a minor threat to make any national noise in either sport.

As we enter year 3 of the Senter era, there’s a craving for wins. The fan base has lowered demands and watered down expectations. Few would bet their life savings on a bowl game or NCAA tournament appearance if they played the seasons as normal.

It’s difficult to schedule five to six wins for the football team, but that’s where they should be this upcoming season. Most of the fan base perceives Dimel as being behind in the rebuild process. One FBS wins in two seasons suggests that could be true.

Terry takes most of the heat because we hyped him up to return us to glory quickly. The media followed along because on paper the Division 1 transfers showed this was it. Is the crash loud enough to validate claims that he will never sustain a championship culture in El Paso?

Assuming we play full schedules, what are your expectations for year 3? Not the ones filled with rational excuses. The expectations if we demanded more from the Athletic Department. What would Dimel and Terry have to do in year three to make you believe they are the correct men to turn UTEP’s fortune around? That we're not wasting time waiting for their contracts to become affordable enough to buy. At the moment it feels that even if they had improved years and won three to four in football and twenty plus in basketball, doubts would still exist if they will ever mine conference gold.

Dimel needs 4-5 wins and to secure a QB for the future. Terry needs to bring in 2 more game changers (one being a PG) and win CUSA or the CUSA tourney. Otherwise Senter needs to be fired and BOTH coaches would have to go.

Dismel needs to win 3 or 4 games with 3 of those being home games. NMSU is a must win.

Depends on what schedule Terry has. Hard to put a number on wins. Definitely needs to finish above .500 in CUSA play. Really depends on his roster as well. With what we have so far, definitely a bottom pod team.

AMEN
AMEN
AMEN
IT'S THE APOCALYPSE OF UTEP ATHLETICS.
Like Corona said; for the first time in memory, there's absolutely no feeling of anticipation for the next season.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Dimel's job is safe with three wins.

For me to believe he can be the guy? Five wins this year, more flexibility with play calling, and an offense that finally works.

Terry is safe if he wins one more game than last year AND has a winning conference record.

For me to believe? 20+ wins (assuming we don't play three D2 schools), fewer than 10 losses, top 4 conference finish, CUSA championship game, and a core we know is staying put.

Senter needs to go as soon as Dimel finishes 2-10 this year.

Dimel's job is safe with three wins.

For me to believe he can be the guy? Five wins this year, more flexibility with play calling, and an offense that finally works.

Terry is safe if he wins one more game than last year AND has a winning conference record.

For me to believe? 20+ wins (assuming we don't play three D2 schools), fewer than 10 losses, top 4 conference finish, CUSA championship game, and a core we know is staying put.

Senter needs to go as soon as Dimel finishes 2-10 this year.
Perfect. Exactly what I had in mind.

In football Dimel needs to win five with at least one or two close losses that could have send us bowling if the ball had rolled the other way.

In basketball I would like to see Terry go 6-4/7-3 or better ooc vs D1 teams. Plus his three free wins vs d2. In conference play he has to win at least 12-13 games and be in contention for the regular season title. In the conference tournament he has to win two games.

I expect Dimel to win 2/3 games and come back for year four. Terry will probably finish 7-5 ooc and win 10-11 in conference. That should be good enough for about 18 wins and a 4-6th place finish.

Senter will spin it as big improvements from when he first took over.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Trying to be realistic, Dimel will keep his job if he has 3 wins or more. I see about 5 games where an improved team should have a shot. NMSU is a must for fans but for Senter, probably not.

Like most on here I bought into the mbb hype and expected a very good season. Terry did a poor job and I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does any better this season. I think Senter will keep him with any kind of winning season, regardless of how many div 3 teams are on the schedule.

4 wins should not be an unreasonable expectation for football to at least make me think we are making headway. For me I might argue that the NMSU game is a must win game: not only for the season but for Dimel and the program. We’re in our third year and if we can’t hang with NMSU and beat them by this point he has no reason staying any longer. NMSU May be our weakest opponent. It seems almost a given we are going to start 0-3 and an 0-4 start as usual would be disastrous.

The conference champ had 20 wins. LT who had the most wins in cusa finished with 22. Take away non d1 wins and cusa only had one team with 20 wins. Terry truly spoiled an opportunity to shine.

I actually have to agree, to the exact number of wins for both sports, with AB.

Football - 4
Basketball - 23

However, I don’t see either one reaching that bar.

23 wins seems a little high, especially given the way the team played last year and the losses they endured this off season.

23 wins seems a little high, especially given the way the team played last year and the losses they endured this off season.

It’s not how I realistically expect next season to turn out. It’s what my personal expectations are for a guy in his 3rd year with a crappy ass CUSA schedule, and a couple/few sub D I cupcakes. Anything less and CRT has got to go. Keep in mind who the losses from the previous roster fall on. He needs to be held to high expectations. He cannot use the turnover as an excuse or we are right back to CTF level of accountability.

It’s not how I realistically expect next season to turn out. It’s what my personal expectations are for a guy in his 3rd year with a crappy ass CUSA schedule, and a couple/few sub D I cupcakes. Anything less and CRT has got to go. Keep in mind who the losses from the previous roster fall on. He needs to be held to high expectations. He cannot use the turnover as an excuse or we are right back to CTF level of accountability.

Fair enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT