ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New bowls on the horizon... what affect on the Sun Bowl?

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Changes to bowl lineups are coming for 2020 and beyond according to Stadium's sources. Not sure what the affect will be on the Sun Bowl but it looks like C-USA will have 7 bowl slots in the future. Some years the conference has less than that so I see that as a positive.

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-changes-to-begin-in-2020-03-05-2019/

"Starting with the new bowl cycle in 2020, here are the guaranteed minimum bowl tie-ins per conference (not including any teams that appear in the College Football Playoff):

ACC, SEC – 11
Big Ten – 9
Pac-12 – 8
Big 12 – 7
American – 7
Conference USA – 7
Mid-American – 6
Mountain West – 6
Sun Belt – 5

Army & BYU each can secure its own automatic bowl tie-in, but the remaining independents (Liberty, UMass and New Mexico State) must hope for an at-large spot from a conference that can’t fill all of its allotments in a specific year. Notre Dame remains part of the ACC’s bowl lineup if the Irish don’t qualify for a College Football Playoff or New Year’s 6 Bowl berth."

Changes to bowl lineups are coming for 2020 and beyond according to Stadium's sources. Not sure what the affect will be on the Sun Bowl but it looks like C-USA will have 7 bowl slots in the future. Some years the conference has less than that so I see that as a positive.

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-changes-to-begin-in-2020-03-05-2019/

"Starting with the new bowl cycle in 2020, here are the guaranteed minimum bowl tie-ins per conference (not including any teams that appear in the College Football Playoff):

ACC, SEC – 11
Big Ten – 9
Pac-12 – 8
Big 12 – 7
American – 7
Conference USA – 7
Mid-American – 6
Mountain West – 6
Sun Belt – 5

Army & BYU each can secure its own automatic bowl tie-in, but the remaining independents (Liberty, UMass and New Mexico State) must hope for an at-large spot from a conference that can’t fill all of its allotments in a specific year. Notre Dame remains part of the ACC’s bowl lineup if the Irish don’t qualify for a College Football Playoff or New Year’s 6 Bowl berth."
You can do this Dimel and Company. Seven bowls. I'm not going to get into CUSA bashing but seven is not bad.

IMO, there are too many bowl games out there. They are being watered down by passing the saturation point. Attendance is down and viewership on TV is down. That will affect the Sun Bowl Game somewhat, which needs to step up to attract better teams anyway.
That being said, if C-USA gets seven bowl games I won't complain, except for a specific aspect. The pay out. If the conference can come out ahead financially, that's great, but if not, it's not so good. For instance, I understand that C-USA takes a bath on the Hawaii Bowl. The pay out isn't enough to cover transportation costs to the game. The conference has to offset some of the expense to which ever team goes to Hawaii. That's the killer aspect of this. But if C-USA can still come out ahead financially, I'll take it. Also, if the conference can habitually win a majority of its bowl games this will be a positive thing in the long run. So Go Miners and Go C-USA.
By the way, if we get more bowl tie ins than the Mountain West Conference, good for us. Does anyone have info on the pay outs, because the Mountain West may still come out ahead of us on that aspect of the games?

So the new Los Angeles Bowl basically replaces the Las Vegas Bowl for the Mountain West. Might even be an upgrade. It pits the Mountain West champ vs Pac 12. I remember awhile back that some on here were saying how bad it was for the Mountain West to lose that bowl, but it looks like that demise was wrong.
Though, I am not sure what the payout is on the Los Angeles Bowl compared to the Las Vegas bowl, but I can't see how playing in the brand new stadium in LA, and playing in Sam Boyd is not an upgrade.

IMO, there are too many bowl games out there. They are being watered down by passing the saturation point. Attendance is down and viewership on TV is down. That will affect the Sun Bowl Game somewhat, which needs to step up to attract better teams anyway.
That being said, if C-USA gets seven bowl games I won't complain, except for a specific aspect. The pay out. If the conference can come out ahead financially, that's great, but if not, it's not so good. For instance, I understand that C-USA takes a bath on the Hawaii Bowl. The pay out isn't enough to cover transportation costs to the game. The conference has to offset some of the expense to which ever team goes to Hawaii. That's the killer aspect of this. But if C-USA can still come out ahead financially, I'll take it. Also, if the conference can habitually win a majority of its bowl games this will be a positive thing in the long run. So Go Miners and Go C-USA.
By the way, if we get more bowl tie ins than the Mountain West Conference, good for us. Does anyone have info on the pay outs, because the Mountain West may still come out ahead of us on that aspect of the games?
This story is directly tied to the financial crisis of '08-'09. Bowls=Revenue for communities. it is worth the gamble. As hoteliers say "Heads in beds, baby! Heads in beds".

At our level, bowl payout is always a wash at best. We should concentrate on the other positives, two weeks+ extra practice time, fan and player reward and in some cases exposure to national audience. As a conference we are never going to make money on bowls unless we find our way into the playoffs (likely an act of god is the only way this will occur). As for the Sun Bowl who plays in it is no matter to me as long as they bring fans, book hotel rooms and spend cash.

Where do Sun Bowl renovations come into the equation? I would think at some point we need some modernization of the stadium to keep pace with the other bowls?

I'd rather go with the Big Ten if there were any reasonable chance that Ohio St., Michigan, or Penn St. could ever trickle down to us. It's kind of amazing that the Sun Bowl has had USC from the Pac 12 multiple times, Alabama, even Notre Dame, and Nebraska from their pre-Big Ten days, but in our years of partnership with the Big Ten we could never get one of those three teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT