ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Next Big Thing for El Paso?

What will be El Paso's next big thing to come?

• State of the Art Aquarium

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Great Wolf Lodge / Other form of new waterpark

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • New Amusement Park

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • New Pro Team (pending Arena resolve)

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • IKEA / Other Large Retailer

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Other (fill in blank)

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
Are you ****ing kidding me? So you know nothing about Magic Landing, but suggest that someone restore it? That’s why you’re a joke. Did you even graduate from high school?

Those buildings have been torn down for 10 years and even then, they had already been abandoned for at least 20 years before that.

You're the Karen of these boards, Always complaining .

So what is it are they torn down or are they abandoned?? I just saw a YouTube video where the train is still there. They could build shops in those buildings and other stuff. It doesn't have to be an amusement park. Why dont you ever think outside of the box. Always being negative.

The museum that they're building downtown looks like it will be legit.

The Loop that runs right over the border wall and downtown has some very nice views of downtown and Mexico. I think a lookout tower would be pretty cool. Like the El Paso version of the Eifel Tower.

You're the Karen of these boards, Always complaining .

So what is it are they torn down or are they abandoned?? I just saw a YouTube video where the train is still there. They could build shops in those buildings and other stuff. It doesn't have to be an amusement park. Why dont you ever think outside of the box. Always being negative.

I complain about results. If that’s being a Karen, then I am all for it. I have never celebrated meaningless wins over bad schools, and I have never hid that fact.

El Paso is never getting any major sports league. You may call that negative, but you’re the dumbest of dumb, to think the NHL would put a team here. MLS, NBA, NFL, and MLB aren’t either. Anyone with the slightest bit of intelligence and rationale would see the same thing.

Since you know nothing about Magic Landing and it’s current state, it’s just another dumb idea with no real thought behind it.

El Paso needs to find its own niche. Sports Teams and Amusement Parks are not going to make it a Destination City. And investors don't think El Paso is a viable market for anything other than its proximity to Mexico and Fort Bliss.

Seems like all the ideas that float around just mimic what other cities have. We aren't building a Riverwalk.

A massive public/private partnership with UTEP could be a game changer, but that's not happening.

The leadership that El Paso has had over the years is complacent with El Paso being just another large city.

So when you see an extra lane on the Freeway, consider that progress.

El Paso needs to find its own niche. Sports Teams and Amusement Parks are not going to make it a Destination City. And investors don't think El Paso is a viable market for anything other than its proximity to Mexico and Fort Bliss.

Seems like all the ideas that float around just mimic what other cities have. We aren't building a Riverwalk.

A massive public/private partnership with UTEP could be a game changer, but that's not happening.

The leadership that El Paso has had over the years is complacent with El Paso being just another large city.

So when you see an extra lane on the Freeway, consider that progress.
El Paso was suppose to get the river walk, Sea World, and Six Flags. But city government denied everything, so San Antonio got everything. Investors do want to come to El Paso. Nothing is done here because El Paso government, is ran by a bunch of Ncaanowins.

El Paso has grown so yes I think I would be a great investment. Western Playland is not an a amusement park, it's more of a small carnival. I dont remember Magic Landing. How many rides did it have?? Was it better than Western Playland?? Did it have shows?
A few. No. I don’t remember.

Things El Paso may get in the next 10 years and their corresponding percentage of actually happening.
Cheesecake Factory 75%
Great Wolf Lodge (Originally lost due to Covid) 50%
Large far east Waterpark on par with Wet n Wild 30%
Aquarium 25%
Arena actually being built 20%
MLS Soccer Team and Stadium 15%
"Fili's Landing" where fantasy never meets reality 100%

Reactions: mikesarabia
Things El Paso may get in the next 10 years and their corresponding percentage of actually happening.

MLS Soccer Team and Stadium 15%

No, it’s 0%. El Paso’s media market is not coveted by national advertisers and tv networks. Unless we’re replacing 200,000 Spanish only speakers with wealthy, white English speaking ones, it will never happen. Not in 10 years or 100 years.

Las Vegas, San Antonio, Sacramento, San Diego, Phoenix, and Albuquerque would all be considered before El Paso and that’s without considering any teams east or north of Texas. Don’t be a fool, all of these cities aren’t getting teams and El Paso surely isn’t.

No, it’s 0%. El Paso’s media market is not coveted by national advertisers and tv networks. Unless we’re replacing 200,000 Spanish only speakers with wealthy, white English speaking ones, it will never happen. Not in 10 years or 100 years.

Las Vegas, San Antonio, Sacramento, San Diego, Phoenix, and Albuquerque would all be considered before El Paso and that’s without considering any teams east or north of Texas. Don’t be a fool, all of these cities aren’t getting teams and El Paso surely isn’t.
I have 1st hand knowledge that the hunt group has stayed in close contact with MLS since attempting a bid some years back. Now the MLS may be just blowing smoke up their you know what's, but they like the ownership group alot and what they've done with the Locomotive. You don't know everything man and you sure as Hell don't have any inside info with anybody reputable in the city of EP. I know more going on then you and I don't even live there anymore! I put 15%, because I don't believe it'll ever happen. However some within the Hunt group do. So call them all fools too.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I have 1st hand knowledge that the hunt group has stayed in close contact with MLS since attempting a bid some years back. Now the MLS may be just blowing smoke up their you know what's, but they like the ownership group alot and what they've done with the Locomotive. You don't know everything man and you sure as Hell don't have any inside info with anybody reputable in the city of EP. I know more going on then you and I don't even live there anymore! I put 20%, because I don't believe it'll ever happen. However some within the Hunt group do. So call them all fools too.
I do know about MLS and their business. The “El Paso MLS bid” was nothing but a farce. It was there to sell tickets to a FC Juarez exhibition match and to say “We tried, but we have the next best thing!”

El Paso was never seriously considered for MLS. Look at the cities I mentioned above, why would any pro league choose El Paso over Las Vegas and Phoenix???

Nobody in the Hunt group seriously believes they have a chance. They haven’t even been able to get a site or plans for a soccer stadium here in El Paso. Even though that was a “requirement” for getting a USL franchise. They’re only 25% owners of FC Juarez, which also hasn’t been able to build a new stadium there.

Juarez is also one, if not THE worst run team in LigaMX and you believe Major League Soccer would trust these inept owners with a franchise???

MLS is about getting TV dollars and El Paso simply doesn’t bring those dollars, or English speaking viewers in. There’s no chance. 20% is far too generous. It’s 0 and always has been.

Mountain Star can think and say whatever they want. The ship to get an an MLS team in EP sailed in the 90s. Be happy with USL and Liga MX across the border cuz that's the only profesional soccer El Paso will ever experience.
That's why I put 15%. They still talk about it as if it has a chances which I why I listed it, but I also don't think it'll happen.

I do know about MLS and their business. The “El Paso MLS bid” was nothing but a farce. It was there to sell tickets to a FC Juarez exhibition match and to say “We tried, but we have the next best thing!”

El Paso was never seriously considered for MLS. Look at the cities I mentioned above, why would any pro league choose El Paso over Las Vegas and Phoenix???

Nobody in the Hunt group seriously believes they have a chance. They haven’t even been able to get a site or plans for a soccer stadium here in El Paso. Even though that was a “requirement” for getting a USL franchise. They’re only 25% owners of FC Juarez, which also hasn’t been able to build a new stadium there.

Juarez is also one, if not THE worst run team in LigaMX and you believe Major League Soccer would trust these inept owners with a franchise???

MLS is about getting TV dollars and El Paso simply doesn’t bring those dollars, or English speaking viewers in. There’s no chance. 20% is far too generous. It’s 0 and always has been.
I actually put 15% which means I'm 85% sure it won't happen despite some within the Hunt Group having hope it might one day.

I actually put 15% which means I'm 85% sure it won't happen despite some within the Hunt Group having hope it might one day.
It should be 0% and 100% though.

Now, if someone wants to say El Paso “could” be a WNBA or NWSL city, I wouldn’t shit all over that. As those two are more plausible than any of the Top 5 pro leagues coming here.

El Paso isn’t and won’t be a major league city. That’s fine and there’s nothing wrong with that.

It should be 0% and 100% though.

Now, if someone wants to say El Paso “could” be a WNBA or NWSL city, I wouldn’t shit all over that. As those two are more plausible than any of the Top 5 pro leagues coming here.

El Paso isn’t and won’t be a major league city. That’s fine and there’s nothing wrong with that.
There's probably more than a dozen cities ahead of EP. Does MLS really want to be a 40+ team league?

There's probably more than a dozen cities ahead of EP. Does MLS really want to be a 40+ team league?
I wouldn’t think so. However, the MLS media rights are rumored to be less than they projected, so they may “over expand” to collect more expansion fees. So hard to say, except that El Paso won’t be one of them.

Mountain Star can think and say whatever they want. The ship to get an an MLS team in EP sailed in the 90s. Be happy with USL and Liga MX across the border cuz that's the only profesional soccer El Paso will ever experience.
Never is a long time, but El Paso has a long way to go.

El Paso will have a Disneyland before an MLS team.
I don't think that is accurate if I had to handicap it, but I see your point as you're saying it will never happen. El Paso is a Minor League City I agree. However the only sport in the Majors that EP would ever have a shot at is MLS be it through expansion or team relocation. I don't put it at 0 over the next 10 year's, but it's very low yes. WNBA is interesting, because the Sun City came out in droves to support UTEP Women's Basketball on their NIT run. I don't think though that the fans would get very excited or support a struggling expansion WNBA team. Also I think the 180 million for the arena should be repurposed to remodel and expand the civic center/ACC to allow for event seating up to 10,000

How about we clean up the trash and fix the streets 1st..
What a dumb idea! Did you put any thought into this? It would be much better to use the burned out, knocked down, non existent buildings at the Magic Landing site and put another amusement park there.

Knowing nothing about something and throwing out any ideas that come to mind are better than realistic, actual possibilities.

However the only sport in the Majors that EP would ever have a shot at is MLS be it through expansion or team relocation. I don't put it at 0 over the next 10 year's, but it's very low yes.
Nope. Not happening.

El Paso could have had a shot at a MLS team when they contracted the Miami Fusion and Tampa Bay Mutiny. That would have been their only opportunity to get into MLS. MLS bled tons of money then and many didn’t foresee what it is now. Which isn’t even that profitable for most teams. If someone with $10 million took a chance back then, El Paso might have had a team.

If you want to continue to think it’s possible, that’s fine, you will just drift into Fili territory.

Everything else is getting a reboot. Like Top Gun 2. Why not reboot some of El Pasos past??

I hear that the old buildings are still there from Magic Landing. Maybe they can build something else using those buildings?? I heard that's where six flags wanted to build but was denied.

The lake was man made, so just make it again. What's so hard about that??
So I'm wondering if you are just trying to be funny. The buildings were all torn down in 2009 after several incidents of arson and vandalism. The property itself has been a truck lot for over 12 years

What happens first, UTEP makes a NY6 bowl or EP gets an MLS team?

Nope. Not happening.

El Paso could have had a shot at a MLS team when they contracted the Miami Fusion and Tampa Bay Mutiny. That would have been their only opportunity to get into MLS. MLS bled tons of money then and many didn’t foresee what it is now. Which isn’t even that profitable for most teams. If someone with $10 million took a chance back then, El Paso might have had a team.

If you want to continue to think it’s possible, that’s fine, you will just drift into Fili territory.
It's not nearly as far fetched or nonsensical as bringing back Magic Landing. Don't compare the 2, or him and I. You've started to do a little better, with actual researched information and valid points, don't fall back into troll status bruh. It was well documented that The Hunt Group tried to get an MLS team and still hold out hopes of it in the future. Where as re opening Magic Landing is pure non sense with no basis. I'm not sure if you understand math or percentages, but I clearly stated I'm 85% sure it'll never happen! It is not however based on an outlandish or unwarranted basis as it's been talked about with people who have alot more money than you or I. That's all I say about this, moving on!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT