ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: No minor league baseball for 2020

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
bad news for El Paso Chihuahuas. Will they be able to recover from loss revenue?

Source?? Jeff Passan hasn’t said that it’s official.

Bad news for them as almost all of their revenue is from tickets, concessions, and merch. Depends on how long it lasts. This season is pretty much lost, but they can slowly recover if 2021 goes on as normal.

Source?? Jeff Passan hasn’t said that it’s official.

Bad news for them as almost all of their revenue is from tickets, concessions, and merch. Depends on how long it lasts. This season is pretty much lost, but they can slowly recover if 2021 goes on as normal.

ESPN

Bunch of minor leaguers have been released.

ESPN

Bunch of minor leaguers have been released.

There haven't been transactions for two months. This is why players are getting released en masse. Most of the those players would have been released anyway. There are 162 Minor League teams.

The Minor League season is pretty much scrapped. MLB could be scrapped too if there the players don't agree to a deal.

Heard today that they are going to cancel Minor League baseball this season. Some teams had been paying their players $400 per week for March – May and now some teams are just going to drop the players and stop paying. Most teams, including San Diego, are going to pay the $400 stipend through end of August. For some of the teams that are dropping the players at end of May, a few big league players are stepping in and donating money to the minor league players so they can continue to receive the stipend.

Heard today that they are going to cancel Minor League baseball this season. Some teams had been paying their players $400 per week for March – May and now some teams are just going to drop the players and stop paying. Most teams, including San Diego, are going to pay the $400 stipend through end of August. For some of the teams that are dropping the players at end of May, a few big league players are stepping in and donating money to the minor league players so they can continue to receive the stipend.

no word yet on whether (pre-paid) season ticket holders will get a refund or credit towards next season

no word yet on whether (pre-paid) season ticket holders will get a refund or credit towards next season

I’m sure if you call in and are persistent, you can get a refund. Do you really want them to hold onto your money for another 10 months? The way things are going, a full 2021 is in no way guaranteed. They will just dance around your refund for months next year. Get your money back! I can guarantee you, there are not people lined up to take your seats.

I’m sure if you call in and are persistent, you can get a refund. Do you really want them to hold onto your money for another 10 months? The way things are going, a full 2021 is in no way guaranteed. They will just dance around your refund for months next year. Get your money back! I can guarantee you, there are not people lined up to take your seats.

Did I address you?

You definitely would be able to get a refund. I pay my season tickets in full in the fall, so I will just apply it to next year. But if you really need the money you will get a refund.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
“Today, Minor League Baseball has announced the cancelation of the 2020 MiLB Season, including all 2020 Chihuahuas games. Thank you for your patience and support as we worked diligently to plan for the eventual return of your El Paso Chihuahuas. As we move forward, our commitment to you as a Season Seat Member is to ensure you continue to receive the highest level of service.

We are dedicated to making it easy to continue to support your Chihuahuas and receive the full value of your commitment. I will follow up with you personally to discuss in detail your options and to answer any questions you may have, but at this time no action is required of you.

Your paid credit from the 2020 Season will be automatically applied to your 2021 Membership. By allocating your paid credit to 2021, and as a thank you for your support, you will enjoy the following additionalBack to Baseball Benefits for the 2021 Season:

· Ticket Credit Flexibility:Any tickets from your membership that do not get used for the corresponding 2021 game may be used within the same season towards:

o Tickets of equal or lesser value for any remaining game during the 2021 Season (based on availability)

o A deposit towards the rental of one of our many Southwest University Park hospitality areas during 2021 Sunday – Thursday games (based on availability and ticket exchange limits per rental apply)

· Seat Upgrades: Once you arrive at the Ballpark in 2021 for a non-exchanged game, visit the Ticket Information Table for the opportunity to upgrade your seat and enjoy a game from a different location at no additional cost to you (based on availability).

· Year-Round Extended Payment Plan: You will be enrolled in a year-round payment plan to enjoy smaller monthly payments through June of each season (payments starting July 2021 for the 2022 Season) and receive:

o A Ballpark credit rebate equal to 2% of your annual total Membership ticket cost each season starting with the 2022 Season to use in the Chihuahuas Team Shop or for food and beverage at our concession stands within the same season

o You can opt-out of this auto-pay option

· Continuation of Exclusive 2020 Membership Benefits: Our goal is to attempt to fulfill as many of your Membership benefits as possible. More information will be provided throughout the year regarding any Membership benefits that can be safely fulfilled.

We understand this situation has affected everyone differently. While we ask for your support and are excited to continue serving you, we are here for you. If your circumstances require a different solution, we are happy to work creatively with you.

We will see you at Southwest University Park again soon. Thank you for being a part of the Chihuahuas Family and stay safe!”

Reactions: axingfools1
Why would the Blue Jays play in El Paso? They are most likely going to play in Buffalo.

The New Mexico United play in Isotopes Park.

It seems like somebody is trolling.

Yes, partly. I believe there is some talk about the 14 day quarantine issue with the state of New Mexico, where NMU could end up playing their home games at the SUP. Really makes no difference since there’s no fans at most games.

Yes, partly. I believe there is some talk about the 14 day quarantine issue with the state of New Mexico, where NMU could end up playing their home games at the SUP. Really makes no difference since there’s no fans at most games.

Didn't the Locomotive just play in Albuquerque? Did they have to quarantine for 14 days?

Being in a division with Houston, Austin, Oklahoma City and ABQ is much more appealing to me. Lots of Dodgers, Rangers and Astros fans here will be excited to see their minor league teams.

Being in a division with Houston, Austin, Oklahoma City and ABQ is much more appealing to me. Lots of Dodgers, Rangers and Astros fans here will be excited to see their minor league teams.
Me too. Can catch them for a few road games.

Chihuahuas came out of this deal ahead, playing a few fan favorites and looks like less travel. Poor Fresno dropped from AAA ball to low A and Wichita just built a new triple a stadium which hasn't seen a game will be back in AA along with San Antonio.

Last edited:
Wow! Sugar Land going from Indy to AAA?!?

Saint Paul Saints did as well. They always led in attendance for minor league baseball. Really huge blow for independent baseball to lose the Saints and Skeeters. The Saints have been the class of minor league baseball for years. I think they will lose the renegade charm that always made them successful.

Chihuahuas came out of this deal ahead, playing a few fan favorites and looks like less travel. Poor Fresno dropped from AAA ball to low A and Wichita just built a new triple a stadium which hasn't seen a game will be back in AA along with San Antonio.

From a fans perspective I would rather see a double a game than a triple A game. Double A is where teams keep their star prospects and triple A is where they keep the journey men. The star prospects usually get to triple but don't stay very long. There are a few teams that have started promoting players straight from double a to the big leagues. The Twins started the trend and do it more than any other team. It will be interesting to see if it becomes popular with all the teams.

Last edited:
Saint Paul Saints did as well. They always led in attendance for minor league baseball. Really huge blow for independent baseball to lose the Saints and Skeeters. The Saints have been the class of minor league baseball for years. I think they will lose the renegade charm that always made them successful.
Pretty interesting considering both have
MLB teams just down the road!

Chihuahuas will limit attendance, starting by spreading out season ticket holders.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT