ADVERTISEMENT

OT People Who Say El Paso is a Soccer and a Boxing City

El Paso Chihuahuas

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 28, 2014
El Paso, TX, USA
The soccer match with Cruz Azul tomorrow has tons of tickets left and the Julio Caesar Chavez Jr. match next week has tons available as well. Unfortunately, the ticket sales keeps other things from coming to El Paso (like getting a MLS team). Fortunately the Chihuahuas have done very and keep selling out their games.

I think El Paso is a baseball city first, then football, then basketball, and then soccer.

I dont think el paso is a soccer city. People look at El Paso and see the huge hispanic population and think it must be a soccer town. Soccer has always been a tough sell. Off the top of my head there have been three well publicized exhibitions in the Sun Bowl, club america vs cruz azul, indiis vs santos and chivas vs pachuca. None of the games attracted more than 20,000 fans. This isnt a soccer town. MLS was a pipe dream the biggest problem is that El Paso has the 97th largest tv market thats smaller than the waco tv market (95). Our small tv market will preclude us from atteacting a pro spirts team.

El Paso is a fight town but nobody is dumb enough to pay to see the media creation that is Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. If his last name wasnt Chavez he wouldnt have got the oppurtunities he's been given.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Chihuas I am going to answer your question. I hope you can grasp it.

Who the hell wants to go see a boxer who obviously needs to prove he is a devoted boxer.
He lost his couple of fights and we know that he wasn't taking boxing seriously. The reason
I am stating he wasn't taking boxing seriously is because he wasn't training for the fights.
I don't want to spend my money on somebody who doesn't deserve part of my paycheck.

In reference to the soccer match only fans to those teams will go to those games. Plus
have you seen the predictable weather for tomorrow (RAIN). We know that a lot of
El Pasoan's wait for the last minute to buy tickets and it seems like the only tickets that
have been sold to date are the only ones that are going to be sold.

I can also bet that if we had a local soccer team we would see a lot more people.

GO Miners...

I think El Paso is a baseball city first, then football, then basketball, and then soccer.

I am not sure if it is the sport or the way the event is marketed. The El Paso Chihuahuas are marketed very well. It's the second highest form of professional baseball. El Paso loves it.

El Paso is hotbed for Electronic Music. The absolute top DJ's in the world perform in front of sold out crowds almost on a monthly basis in El Paso. The local festivals and music fests bring in the top DJ's and producers and El Paso eats it up. Sell outs and record crowds. Again, because the promoters bring in the top artists.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr is coming off a bad loss. He is projecting downward. I would love it if it sold out but it is not a top caliber fight. The Civic Center or Coliseum would have been better choices.

I want better but I think UTEP's attendance is remarkable. It is a commuter school in a G5 conference. I love the civic pride this city has by supporting UTEP.

I don't think its specifically about the sport. There are many boxing matchups that would sell out the Sun Bowl. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr isn't one of them. There is a reason One Direction set an attendance record for the Sun Bowl yet other artists are performing for free at the Socorro Entertainment Center.

Anyone who knows anything about boxing knows Chavez Jr. sucks. You're absolutely right that people don't support UTEP wholeheartedly because of their history of failure. I think we've all seen the crowds at games dip from week to week following a loss. And it's no surprise that the Sun Bowl was insane in 2000 and 2004-05 when we were at our best. With that being said boxing is very big in this city. It's just tough to expect a card headlined by Chavez Jr. to do great numbers. I don't know if you watched his last fight he quit and had all the LA Mexicans booing him. A lot of Mexicans turned on him because they finally realized he's lazy and after all that bragging about having his dad's chin he got knocked down. That fight is a tough sell. Don't you remember the Sun Bowl sold out when De La Hoya fought that nobody?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Patrick Charpentier!

Not to be confused with underachieving CART driver Patrick Carpentier...

Chihuas the title on your post has nothing to do with UTEP.
Why do you always have to take a jab on UTEP.
You are just a sorry a$$ MF.

You just stated the point of why some people don't support UTEP athletics.

Haskins Fan said:
I don't want to spend my money on somebody who doesn't deserve part of my paycheck.

For your Info I do enjoy going to see my Miners. Those young men and woman are working hard to represent us and they have earned my respect.

GO Miners...

The Soccer game I think is too expensive. The cheapest ticket is $21 + fees. I think they go up to a $100. And this is for a pre-season scrimmage. I am sure that a Gold Cup game would do well here or even a regular season Mexican League game. But fans that have been to the previous scrimmages are starting to wise up and realize that they're just seeing trialist in the jersey of their favorite teams. As far as Boxing, El Paso is a Boxing City in comparison to the rest of the nation in which Boxing is on its death bed. Many fight cards nationwide are in empty hotel ballrooms.

But obviously baseball is huge, when I named the Chihuahuas I knew that El Paso would love it.

Take it easy guys. I don't know if El Paso Chihuahuas can take another tap to the chin. Chunks hasn't been around to fluff him.

I went to the Cruz Azul game tonight.

El Paso did not do a good job representing. The crowd was small but enthusiastic. However, people kept running onto the field. One guy took a selfie with a player. Another was running next to a player asking him to pass it. One guy took the ball and put it under his shirt and ran to the goal and scored. Two guys ran across the field and then was bothering the Cruz Azul bench. Security was late to respond and did almost nothing.

The ball boys were not well trained. Many times the players had to go chase their own ball. Once, it went into the stands and a player had to wait to get it back from the crowd.

There was a lack of security in the stands. It was basically General Admission even though there were 5 different ticket price ranges.

The attraction of next Saturday's boxing is a 2 for 1. You hardly see day/night doubleheaders in baseball anymore, but El Paso is getting one in boxing. The Premier Boxing Champions Series will be televised on CBS (Network not cable) and Carl Frampton will be a major star in boxing. He's undefeated and the current IBF Super Bantamweight champion. Problem is he's never fought in the states until next Saturday, and nobody in EP has any idea who he is. They also put Chris Arreola on the same card, and he's one of the more entertaining heavyweights in boxing. So, everybody who buys a ticket to the Sat night show with JC jr. gets to watch the PBC show earlier in the day for free. That's a great deal for fight fans, especially if they spend $25 for the cheap seats and move down to watch Frampton and Arreola.

The guy who's promoting this is Al Haymon, who's currently being sued by Golden Boy and Top Rank. Haymon is becoming a huge name in boxing, and he's getting a lot of great young up and coming fighters to sign with him. This show was supposed to go to San Antonio, but he was convinced to try El Paso. Fact is, we've lost out on any good boxing show in the last 10-15 years and now the city gets another chance. If you go to the Ticketmaster site, they only are using about 30-40% of the DHC for seating. Judging by this board, people will not show up next Saturday to watch an all-day quality boxing event which will be televised on both CBS and Showtime. If that's the case, El Paso will once again prove that San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas are better places to hold these kind of shows than here. Sad.

Judging by this board, people will not show up next Saturday to watch an all-day quality boxing event which will be televised on both CBS and Showtime. If that's the case, El Paso will once again prove that San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas are better places to hold these kind of shows than here. Sad.

Like other have said nobody wants to see Chavez Jr. Not sad, it's just people would rather spend their money somewhere else (like at the Chihuahuas games).

If that Haymon dude believed Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston were better locations than El Paso for the Chavez boxing match he would have done it over there. He is in it to make the most $$$ possible. He just knew Chavez Jr. won't draw anyone in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston. El Paso is the best shot for people to pay $$$ to watch him. He was probably banking on people from Juarez to come over. Chavez Jr. is a joke, especially after his last fight.

Didn't they move that college all star game to San Antonio from El Paso and it didn't last very long in San Antonio???????

I agree with Chihuahuas on the above post. The cheapest tickets to that soccer exhibition game/scrimmage was $21. The boxing tickets are probably more( I haven't checked) to watch a joke fighter. $21 can get you the best seats in the Chihuahuas stadium and you are watching players who have played in MLB or are on the verge of moving up t o play in MLB. Thats where my $21 is going.

Kappy made a good argument why the boxing ticket is a good value. Better than any of the advertisements to date.

Exactly Epsilon. San Antonio couldn't even get 10,000 for Texas vs. The Nation.

I'm tired of hearing the mentality that it's "sad" that El Paso can't support certain events. Unless you're a huge boxing fan or a fan of Chavez Jr., you aren't going to spend your money to watch him.

Like I stated before, UTEP and others need to follow what the Chihuahuas are doing. They are a first class organization who know how to do things. They have prices for everybody ($5 for lawn or $10 for standing room and even $8 for certain seats in the upper level and certain seats on the lower level).

The Chihuahuas and UTEP are very different different opperations. Minor league baseball is gimmicky family entertainment. Minor league baseball is about entertainment not wins and losses. The parent club pays the salaries of the players and coaches. The Chihuahuas just have to pay lease to the city $220,000 and their employees. The Chihuahuas were smart they built a small stadium and call everything over 7,500 a sellout. They arent as successful as Round Rock and Sacramento at the box office, but they have been successful hopefully it will continue.

UTEP is a huge buisness. Winning and losing is everything. The cash cow is football and has to bring in money to fund the 32 million dollar budget. On top of that they have to continually keep big boosters happy and grow the budget, and build facilities to stay competive. In division 1 athletics you cant have cheap gimmicks like minor league baseball. Its better to have 25,000 fans paying $25.00 for a ticket, than 40,000 fans paying $5. UTEP is in good posistion we now have a hardcore fan base of 25,000 in football and 7,000 in basketball who will show up no matter what. Those numbers are continuing to grow. When they win the bandwagon fans will pay regular prices and fill the stadium. UTEP is the envy of most g5 schools interms of fan suppott we dont need cheap gimmicks to fill the seats we just need to win.

If the Chihuahuas had a bigger stadium they would attract the numbers that Round Rock and Sacramento has.

I never said UTEP needs cheap gimmicks- they just need something. Their marketing and promotions department is on life support.

Last edited:
The Chihuahuas call everything over 7,500 a sellout. The listed capacity is 9500 very rarely do the Chihuahuas hit that. If they had a bigger stadium they still wouldnt attract the number of fans sacramento and round rock do.

The El Paso Chihuahuas are a first class organization. No one can dispute that. MountainStar is exactly what this city needed. Badly. It is indeed considered a sell out if all 7500 seats are sold. Standing room and lawn seating are extra. I think they nailed it when chose 7500 seats.

Last night I entertained friends from Round Rock and they raved about the stadium. They do edge us out in attendance but we offer a better game day experience. I don't know if we would sell it out every game if we had 10 thousand seats. There is nothing wrong with the way things are now.

To add,

For the most part, some way, some how, most of us know when the Chihuahuas are in town - and not because of gimmicks. I can't even recall any gimmick nights. That is what UTEP needs to mimic. Awareness.

The boxing event is a perfect example. What have the promoters done to get your attention? In one post, Kappy did more than they have.

The Chihuahuas call everything over 7,500 a sellout. The listed capacity is 9500 very rarely do the Chihuahuas hit that. If they had a bigger stadium they still wouldnt attract the number of fans sacramento and round rock do.

You're right- it is 7,500.

Most games only have single tickets available. The Chihuahuas average about 600 less people than Round Rock and about 1,000 less than Sacramento. El Paso averages more fans than Round Rock and Sacramento on the weekdays. Sacramento and Round Rock make it up on the weekends because they ballparks hold more people. If Southwest University Park had about 1,000-2,000 more seats, they would be leading the league in attendance.

I was being facetious minerforlife. According to one of our proven multi personality posters this fight was a disaster in the making a few weeks back and boxing has no business in El Paso, only baseball.

I was being facetious minerforlife. According to one of our proven multi personality posters this fight was a disaster in the making a few weeks back and boxing has no business in El Paso, only baseball.

No, my friend! He was quick to clean up his mess. All of the tickets were sold in the last two weeks! So he was not dead wrong. He was correct when he said what he said! What a Miner Duck he is!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT