ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pest Control

alum95and98

Rookie
Feb 18, 2013
No, I am not talking about the latest reincarnation of Music / Chih / Utep05... although Rigo acting like pest control could really help with that. I am looking for your recommendation for a reasonable and honest pest control person. I have a countertop ant issue I cannot eliminate. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Rigo Chaparro
No, I am not talking about the latest reincarnation of Music / Chih / Utep05... although Rigo acting like pest control could really help with that. I am looking for your recommendation for a reasonable and honest pest control person. I have a countertop ant issue I cannot eliminate. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance!
Don't know around in El Paso, try the local Angie's list. Ants are tough to get rid of the best/sure solution is to track the ants back to their nest and dig out a pit and drench the hole with a gallon or two of a good pyrethroid like fipronil or malathion. Although being that the nest could be anywhere from 100 to 500 yards away(depending on the specific type of ant) that your best bet is to use a type of granular bait either spread around the yard(watch for pets they might like it)or in bait stations. You'll find ant granule/bait stations at Home depot or Lowes. But they can be a pain to control.

Reactions: alum95and98
I have had huge success with Home Defense from Lowe's for ants, roaches, spiders, etc. Don't need an exterminator service.

I kind of feel insulted. When you need help to get rid of pest. You came to this board to ask for help?

I had a similar problem, really bad. Anytime any kind of sweets or food was left out ants would be all over it and when you have 3 kids and a wife that takes her time to throw away stuff, well not good. It's been about 2years since I called Apest pest control and have yet to see an ant. I don't have any connection to these guys but when a company does a job right I try to return the favor by recommending them.

I use the mixture of borax, sugar & water to setup bait traps along an ant trail. My understanding is the sugar attracts the ant and the borax is the poison taken back to the nest to share with the colony. The water is the ingredient that dissolves both dry substances to create the mixture. Lots of video examples on you tube.

Also a mixture of white vinegar & water sprayed on the counter top helps keep ants away - I guess the vinegar taste & smell is too much for ants (& so humans too).

241c1cebcaaab04f0b9927b15c00dc25.jpg

Meet Coleonyx variegatus or the Western Banded Gecko of the Chihuahuan Desert. Come to central El Paso near the foothills. Wait until night time. Walk near a porch light or patio light along an exterior wall and capture a few of these bad boys and release them inside or outside of your home. They stay hidden, they're clean, typically do not carry germs and are basically known throughout the world as a poor man's exterminator of nasty insects.

Any Gecko will do, but these are native.

I totally concur. I use that home defense and its great.
Come to think of it, I have a gallon of that stuff which I sprayed around before winter. I haven't seen any bugs since then. I'll have to give the house the ole once-over when i get home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT