ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Polar Vortex hitting on Valentine's Day

1.) That article is misleading, as it intentionally omits the fact that you are not locked out of your thermostat. It can be adjusted at any time and if you don't like the temp where they set it, then just change the temperature back to where you want it.

2.) El Paso Electric has the exact same program and you can override the thermostat at any point in time. By signing up for the program you receive a $125 check in the mail the first year and $25 every year after and you allow them to control your thermostat for up to 10 times a year, at no more than 4 hours per event. It can only be between July and Sept and there are also only specific times that this can be done(between 2pm and 8pm). They notify you in advance on the app, they then cool down your house in advance, and then adjust your thermostat to a maximum of 78(which is what I have seen). You get a $125 check at the end of the first year and then every year after the first they will send you a $25 check. I have gotten a check for 7 years now. If you don't like the temperature during one of the 10 events, then just change it and they will not credit you for participating in that event and they will prorate how much of a check they send you at the end of the year(I.E. you will receive 9/10's of $25 if you change it during one of the 10 events).

And at the end of the day, it you don't like it at all then just go into the app and opt out. I understand, but personally I think it is a good program.

TxDoT is spraying I-10 and Spectrum Cable is expecting power outages tonight because of the weather. Tomorrow will have a high of 46 with a 10% to under 20% chance of precipitation with a possible small flurry in some parts of the county. I guess this is the new normal for what happened last year? Can't wait until the Texas roast of 110 that starts in a few months.

Big shout out to this winter storm!! Thanks for the 4 day weekend. School’s already been cancelled for tomorrow and Friday.

Whiskey River take my mind…
Nice! I'm scared shit less right now to have to go into work and the drive the streets tomorrow in my rig. Haven't received the dispatch time yet, holding on to the small hope we get the day off.

Nice! I'm scared shit less right now to have to go into work and the drive the streets tomorrow in my rig. Haven't received the dispatch time yet, holding on to the small hope we get the day off.
I think tomorrow will be ok until about noon or 1:00. Not supposed to hit freezing until 6:00 or 7:00 am. It’s Friday that’s probably going to be more treacherous…once it’s been freezing for 24 hours. Who knows tho. Be safe out there man!!

I'm so glad El Paso is not on this damn grid.

ERCOT: set to 78 and shut major appliances down from 3 to 8

"April and May are referred to as “shoulder months” in the energy world. That’s the time of year when power plants go offline in order to conduct necessary maintenance and other repairs before the hot summer months.

ERCOT, however, has recently told multiple power generation companies to delay maintenance on their equipment so the grid could keep up with the hotter-than-usual temperatures recently, which in turn leads to elevated demand for power when Texans crank their air conditioners.

Friday’s power plant outages were unrelated to the recent maintenance delays, an ERCOT spokesperson said."

I'm so glad El Paso is not on this damn grid.

ERCOT: set to 78 and shut major appliances down from 3 to 8

"April and May are referred to as “shoulder months” in the energy world. That’s the time of year when power plants go offline in order to conduct necessary maintenance and other repairs before the hot summer months.

ERCOT, however, has recently told multiple power generation companies to delay maintenance on their equipment so the grid could keep up with the hotter-than-usual temperatures recently, which in turn leads to elevated demand for power when Texans crank their air conditioners.

Friday’s power plant outages were unrelated to the recent maintenance delays, an ERCOT spokesperson said."
Yeah you are. ERCOT sucks. I was in El Paso in 2011 when we had our big freeze. I was in San Antonio in 2021 when most of Texas had its big freeze. In 2011 in El Paso I experienced true rolling blackouts - power would occasionally go off for 45 minutes to an hour then come back on. Last year they told us that we were going to have rolling blackouts - except the power went off and didn't come back on for days. Again, ERCOT sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT