ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rachel Nichols Done???

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
dang... looks like Its over for her.

Maybe UTEP can hire her to do UTEP games??

I know several people in the local media and they've told me its a shitty business that's full of backstabbing and management who care more about optics than talent.

Anchors and reporters are constantly talking negatively about co-workers. I had a good friend, who was a weatherman for KVIA years ago, who did mornings. He was funny. But he got a call from management that Robert Bettes was the only one who could be funny.

He also told me since they had 3 white males doing the weather, at any moment if they could find a female or an Asian or other race, one of them would not get a new contract.

My former student who is now in Austin, told me they pay reporters almost no money.

Rachel Nichols comments probably shocked no one in that business.

• Wow
Reactions: FarWestTexas
I know several people in the local media and they've told me its a shitty business that's full of backstabbing and management who care more about optics than talent.

Anchors and reporters are constantly talking negatively about co-workers. I had a good friend, who was a weatherman for KVIA years ago, who did mornings. He was funny. But he got a call from management that Robert Bettes was the only one who could be funny.

He also told me since they had 3 white males doing the weather, at any moment if they could find a female or an Asian or other race, one of them would not get a new contract.

My former student who is now in Austin, told me they pay reporters almost no money.

Rachel Nichols comments probably shocked no one in that business.
It has to be a cut throat business but now that it leaked out she’s probably going to be in deep shit. I read where ESPN did not reprimand her for this incident, and now I have a feeling they may retroactively get her to prove a point.

Reactions: kickballpro
This is going to get ugly...

This is what BLM has been fighting for and what Rachel has been fighting for. But when it affects her she aint having it. All these white folks fighting for BLM and for equality well here it is. Are you willing to give up ur job for a black person??Billie Eilish are you willing to give up ur record deal for black artist? She talks about how white people have it easy. Well here is there chance to do something for the BLM .

This is what BLM has been fighting for and what Rachel has been fighting for. But when it affects her she aint having it. All these white folks fighting for BLM and for equality well here it is. Are you willing to give up ur job for a black person??Billie Eilish are you willing to give up ur record deal for black artist? She talks about how white people have it easy. Well here is there chance to do something for the BLM .

This is the debate in a nutshell, isn't it?

Rachel Nichols is obviously highly qualified and has worked hard in her career.

However, did she not get the job because she's white?

I read a couple articles already painting her as a racist. I dont think that's accurate. She's just a disgruntled employee IMO.

I dont know how you discipline her because if they do, it kinda proves her point to some degree.

Last edited:

Equality means the same opportunity to compete for the same job when it's available.

Equality is NOT being willing to give up your job to another person because they are a different race. I don't think anybody should have to do that.

I don’t think that Taylor or Nichols are bad at their jobs but you know that one of them will have to go because of this mess. I feel like this is more rooted in someone trying to protect their spot at the top as opposed to an issue of race. Unfortunately because she worded her statement within the context of ESPN’s poor record of race/diversity she opened herself up to be labeled as a racist. Because of that I feel like ESPN will ultimately let Nichols walk and keep Taylor in order to appease the woke mob. The unfortunate thing is that companies have a long standing track record of appeasing a loud minority who are offending at anything. But at the same time I find it ironic since Jalen Rose said Kevin Love made team USA because of “Tokenism” and Jamele Hill was saying all kinds of crazy stuff on Twitter and they didn’t face any repercussions for their actions. If you’re going to nail one to the cross, nail them all.

Equality means the same opportunity to compete for the same job when it's available.

Equality is NOT being willing to give up your job to another person because they are a different race. I don't think anybody should have to do that.

Yes it does. Billy Ellish and all BLM say that white folks have easy. That they dont have to work hard. Well Billy give up ur record deal then?? Let a black artist who doesn't get the same opportunity like she did have her record deal. All the white news anchors and on CNN/Fox give up their spots. According to BLM they dont deserve it.

Which I do agree with actually. It's harder for a minority to get a gig on TV.

It's not a huge stretch to imagine if you give more opportunities to minorities, more white people will lose their job. It's a finite number of openings.

To achieve equality, sacrifices will have to be made. There's just no getting around that.

Jemele Hill basically blames ESPN for not having the balls to make the decision to tell Rachel that Maria got the job. They basically set up Rachel and took it away from her.

It's not a huge stretch to imagine if you give more opportunities to minorities, more white people will lose their job. It's a finite number of openings.

To achieve equality, sacrifices will have to be made. There's just no getting around that.

I think this is just the tipping point. This is going to start happening everywhere. Its probably already happening now. Everyone is now going to wonder right or wrong. But did that minority person get that promotion to fill a quota or because they're qualified?? ESPPN is just like every other corporate company. If they felt the pressure to hire more minorities, then you better believe Walmart/Facebook/ ur local Drs office will also feel the pressure.

I think this is just the tipping point. This is going to start happening everywhere. Its probably already happening now. Everyone is now going to wonder right or wrong. But did that minority person get that promotion to fill a quota or because they're qualified?? ESPPN is just like every other corporate company. If they felt the pressure to hire more minorities, then you better believe Walmart/Facebook/ ur local Drs office will also feel the pressure.
Doesn’t this mess sound more like two women trying to mark their territory in a cut throat industry? That’s kind of how I see it. Neither of them aren’t bad, but neither of them are Howard Cosell. Ultimately if any corporation emphasizes quotas over quality of content they are going to suffer.

I swear if I didn't know any better this seems like Pippen v Jordan but different category of the national sports scene.

I hope everyone feels the pressure! It's been long overdue that we start seeing more people of color getting opportunities that they were once excluded from. She will not be the last person we see complaining about it though. Also, I don't think any minority will be bother by people whispering about how they got the job. They just want good paying opportunities.

I hope everyone feels the pressure! It's been long overdue that we start seeing more people of color getting opportunities that they were once excluded from. She will not be the last person we see complaining about it though. Also, I don't think any minority will be bother by people whispering about how they got the job. They just want good paying opportunities.
It’s nice to see people of color get more/better opportunities, but they shouldn’t get them at the expense of someone with experience, who by all means is doing a good job.

If you owned a taco restaurant with 100% Hispanic workforce, would you fire your cook and replace him with some white guy that doesn’t know that much about tacos? If the answer is no, you’re being a hypocrite.

It’s nice to see people of color get more/better opportunities, but they shouldn’t get them at the expense of someone with experience, who by all means is doing a good job.

If you owned a taco restaurant with 100% Hispanic workforce, would you fire your cook and replace him with some white guy that doesn’t know that much about tacos? If the answer is no, you’re being a hypocrite.
People of color aren't going to have the experience because they have been excluded from getting the jobs. Putting things right is never going to be fair for the people who have benefitted from the racist hiring practices. Doesn't mean the wrongs shouldn't be put right.

People of color aren't going to have the experience because they have been excluded from getting the jobs. Putting things right is never going to be fair for the people who have benefitted from the racist hiring practices. Doesn't mean the wrongs shouldn't be put right.
Where is the “proof” they have been excluded? Just because you didn’t get a job or promotion, doesn’t mean it was based on your race. There are times when a white person can just be “better” than you.

what about my taco restaurant scenario, or you going to fire your seasoned employee because you need to hire someone of a different race?

Where is the “proof” they have been excluded? Just because you didn’t get a job or promotion, doesn’t mean it was based on your race. There are times when a white person can just be “better” than you.

what about my taco restaurant scenario, or you going to fire your seasoned employee because you need to hire someone of a different race?
If you don't believe there have been racist hiring practices in this country, then there isn't a discussion to be had here. We'll be so far apart on the subject nothing will come from it.

If you don't believe there have been racist hiring practices in this country, then there isn't a discussion to be had here. We'll be so far apart on the subject nothing will come from it.
I didn’t say that they have never happened or don’t happen in some smaller companies. I’m asking what proof do you have that it happens at ESPN or wherever.

And my restaurant question, you’re just going to ignore it?

I didn’t say that they have never happened or don’t happen in some smaller companies. I’m asking what proof do you have that it happens at ESPN or wherever.

And my restaurant question, you’re just going to ignore it?
I can see both sides of this argument. But your question is ridiculous and I gotta ask, how the f*#k can he demonstrate “proof” that it happens? If it does happen, it’ll always be covered up. By a huge corporation with all kinds of power to do so, at that. Can you “prove” it doesn’t happen?

I can see both sides of this argument. But your question is ridiculous and I gotta ask, how the f*#k can he demonstrate “proof” that it happens? If it does happen, it’ll always be covered up. By a huge corporation with all kinds of power to do so, at that. Can you “prove” it doesn’t happen?
You cannot “prove” it either way. Even if someone has better credentials, that doesn’t mean they will always get the job. If you’re an arrogant jerk during the interview, it’s possible to select a “worse” candidate based on circumstances like that.

I am not debating that it’s never happened or won’t ever again. But you should hire this best person for the job. PERIOD. If you’re a large company, in a highly populated city, with a diverse population, you have no excuses to be “almost all” white.

You cannot “prove” it either way. Even if someone has better credentials, that doesn’t mean they will always get the job. If you’re an arrogant jerk during the interview, it’s possible to select a “worse” candidate based on circumstances like that.

I am not debating that it’s never happened or won’t ever again. But you should hire this best person for the job. PERIOD. If you’re a large company, in a highly populated city, with a diverse population, you have no excuses to be “almost all” white.
That’s my point. You asked if taco could prove it, which I found laughable. Especially now that you say it can’t be proven either way. So why ask?

By the way, I agree that the best person for the job should get it.

That’s my point. You asked if taco could prove it, which I found laughable. Especially now that you say it can’t be proven either way. So why ask?

I asked because it’s just an assumption that this is widespread, 100% the case, for every job that a black person isn’t chosen for a job.

And of course he wouldn’t fire his Hispanic cook for a white guy. That’s why he won’t answer. You can’t be for hiring minorities, but also for keeping your store or whatever, 100% 1 race. Can’t have it both ways.

I asked because it’s just an assumption that this is widespread, 100% the case, for every job that a black person isn’t chosen for a job.

And of course he wouldn’t fire his Hispanic cook for a white guy. That’s why he won’t answer. You can’t be for hiring minorities, but also for keeping your store or whatever, 100% 1 race. Can’t have it both ways.
I’m by no means “woke”, but I think it’s more than an assumption that people being held back due to race, is true. I also think it can be used as an excuse. But…

I think I’ve posted this analogy here before but it’s the best one I’ve ever heard due to its simplicity:

A long adventure race is about to happen. At the end of each stage awaits a bundle of resources to assist for the remainder of the race. Gun goes off and white guy takes off. Black guy can’t because he’s being held back, chained and in shackles. White guy runs unobstructed and is kicking ass, collecting all kinds of resources as he finishes each stage of the race. Black guy still can’t run because he’s still shackled. Finally, black guy is “freed” and able to take part in the race. When he gets to the end of each stage, the resources that were once there, have already been utilized…and he’s still wayyy far back in the race. The race continues on and on in this fashion.

The race was never fair to begin with. Ok. It was what it was. But at least recognize and admit it was never fair to begin with. Even though the black guy has been been “freed”, he started the race so far behind. How the **** does he ever catch up if it is not in the very least recognized that this is how the race started?

This recognition doesn’t have to concede jobs to those that are not deserving of them. It just acknowledges that the race didn’t start out fair in the first place. Why are so many people afraid to recognize that?

I’m probably one of the least woke fuggers in the america, and this is still easy for me to see.

I’m by no means “woke”, but I think it’s more than an assumption that people being held back due to race, is true. I also think it can be used as an excuse. But…

I think I’ve posted this analogy here before but it’s the best one I’ve ever heard due to its simplicity:

A long adventure race is about to happen. At the end of each stage awaits a bundle of resources to assist for the remainder of the race. Gun goes off and white guy takes off. Black guy can’t because he’s being held back, chained and in shackles. White guy runs unobstructed and is kicking ass, collecting all kinds of resources as he finishes each stage of the race. Black guy still can’t run because he’s still shackled. Finally, black guy is “freed” and able to take part in the race. When he gets to the end of each stage, the resources that were once there, have already been utilized…and he’s still wayyy far back in the race. The race continues on and on in this fashion.

The race was never fair to begin with. Ok. It was what it was. But at least recognize and admit it was never fair to begin with. Even though the black guy has been been “freed”, he started the race so far behind. How the **** does he ever catch up if it is not in the very least recognized that this is how the race started?

This recognition doesn’t have to concede jobs to those that are not deserving of them. It just acknowledges that the race didn’t start out fair in the first place. Why are so many people afraid to recognize that?

I’m probably one of the least woke fuggers in the america, and this is still easy for me to see.
I understand what you are saying and it is definitely true, but you may also recognize that the same people that started the race are not always the same ones still racing. Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart though so they often get grouped together. It's cultural.

Lets start the race over now and let the best person get the job. Race, gender, age, etc...

I understand what you are saying and it is definitely true, but you may also recognize that the same people that started the race are not always the same ones still racing. Sometimes it's hard to tell them apart though so they often get grouped together. It's cultural.

Lets start the race over now and let the best person get the job. Race, gender, age, etc...

"Lets start the race over now and let the best person get the job. Race, gender, age, etc..."

I suspect that's kind of the issue now. You really can't "restart the race."

I whole heartedly agree, axing. That’s why I said, “it was what it was…”. It is difficult to hold today’s generation responsible for the way things played out 150 plus years ago.

I think there are still far too many that refuse to acknowledge that the race started out unfairly, though.

I agree, let’s start the race over. And just so that it doesn’t sound like I’m holier than thou, let it be known, the thought of that makes me a bit nervous being a person of privilege.

Ehhhh, there are people who are very qualified for positions but don't get it because of their bad attitude, unsubstantiated grievances, possible substance/alcohol abuse, not a team player, whatever. That is an every day common managerial/administrative cause in the work force to not promote or hire (based on past history that is factually known and obtained thru legal process from applicant, state work force agency or background search).

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT